Royal Hotel
    • Restaurant
    Westaway(Ilfracombe)
    Excellent 5/5
    • Bar/Lounge
    All reviewscoach tripsnooker roomtea and coffeebit datedenjoyable staybed and breakfastgreat weekendnorth devonevening entertainmentfantastic views
    FilterAll languages
    Reviewed 3 August 2014

Booked this without looking at any reviews first. We knew from the website pictures that the ho tel was dated but does that really matter ? We were looking for somewhere close to the sea at short notice.
    Yes its very dated but the hotel was clean and comfortable. There was no sign of any disrepair in room 207.
    Usual tea making facilities,clean towels and ample storage.Entertainment was that which was expected of this type of hotel.
    Breakfast was self serve and plentiful .
    We have paid triple the amount to stay in branded hotels but to be fair there was not a lot of difference in comfort.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
    1  Thank alikavner
    Reviewed 3 August 2014

me and my wife just arrived home and thought we would write a quick review regarding our stay at the royal hotel in woolacoombe.
    whilst this hotel is not what you may expect from a modern hotel, me and my wife both felt it was a breath of fresh air. when my wife awoke after the first night she said she felt like she was not in a hotel and more like she was a guest in someones home. the staff were all polite and friendly and the room was clean.
    this was our first visit to woolacoombe and we hope to go again and we would definitely stay in the royal hotel if we can, it was very busy and we heard that it was fully booked, this is a big hotel for a small seaside village. the value for money was very good and included a tasty, hot breakfast each morning, also you can cancel with 24 hours notice with no charge.
    so all in all a very good hotel, fantastic surroundings and with genuine friendly people we really enjoyed our weekend away all i could say after reading some of the reviews here is that im glad i don't go on holiday with the people that write them, this is devon not dubai !!

Room Tip: try and get a room with a view as they are spectacular.
    • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
    2  Thank Caroline P
    Reviewed 30 July 2014

The royal hotel is so far from be royal.on arrival the receptionist was very pleasant. The surroundings were OK on a first glance.how ever on being handed the keys to room 210 we headed of up a well worn corridor.I imeadiatly felt nervous.we entered the room the be faced with torn carpets and a very 70s style decor which was well worn.the balcony was in a very unsafe state and the timber above the balcony was held together with gaffer tape.I had to laugh otherwise I would have spolit a lovely holiday I had just had in north Cornwall.
    The hotel is not far from being demolished due to the amount of money required to bring it up to a fit standard.
    Don't, expect a quite holiday as you defiantly won,t get it at this hotel.
    I would say the collasped floor board in our room did not help.
    I would say HMP offer better accommodation.
    I am still reeling over the money I paid for our 1 night stay.we checked out and Headed of home.
    DON,T be TEMPTED to part with your well earned cash.
    The staff I met were fine but I would say they are keeping a brave face

Room Tip: Don't stay in any
    2  Thank neil p
    Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great food, good price, nice people, swimming, entertainment. great time value for money for a short break and woolacombe beach best there is. We have been going back since the 1963 the hotel has changed a lot but the goods things about the hotel remain would recommend anyone wanting a hotel at a great price

Room Tip: sea view extra money but the view is to die for.
    1  Thank PeterHopkins76
    Reviewed 27 July 2014

Having read a number of reviews before booking, I knew pretty much what we would be walking into. This hotel appears to have had no improvements since the early 1970s and standards are really poor. The entertainment, facilities and menu haven't changed in decades either. But the staff are well meaning, there is a (highly chlorinated) indoor pool, entertainment, a bar, big family rooms with (dodgy) balconies, the view is great, a lovely beach is a short walk down the hill and in high season it costs more to stay in a caravan further out of town. In most places, you get what you pay for. This is a budget hotel from a bygone age. If you can't deal with that, stay elsewhere. We had fun :-)

Room Tip: Our family room was effectively a twin room and a double room divided by a partition. A great size for a family of four
    2  Thank Issyreally