“Attitude of staff on Dogs”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
Fordingbridge, United Kingdom
“Attitude of staff on Dogs”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

my husband and I booked a 4 day holiday through the sun newspaper,a friend of ours knew we hadn't been able to get away for a year as my husband was waiting for an operation, a friend gave us the sun vouchers for a short break with our two little westie's . We were pleased to receive our confirmation but noticed it said no dogs allowed.As I had checked their site before putting down to go with them I was somewhat taken aback so I rang their booking number and was appalled by the attitude of their staff I offered to pay the extra for the dogs NO they wouldn't accept. That means that the caravan we have paid for will now sit empty for a week when we could of been there spending money on their site for food ext what a shambles wouldn't recommend going to any of their sites as you can see from other reviews dirty,old and infested with ants probably a lucky escape !!. I cannot see the point when it says dogs welcome on this site in the terms and conditions but because we booked through the sun paper we are not allowed to take our dogs, jobsworth strikes again!

2 Thank Peter F
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Peter F,

Thank you for your letter regarding your newspaper promotional booking and we are sorry to read that you are disappointed that you cannot bring a pet on this booking. We can confirm that on a newspaper promotional offer you will be unable to bring your pet into your accommodation.

The terms and conditions of the newspaper promotion, which must be ticked to be agreed to when booking online or have signed agreement when booking by post, do state in paragraph 18: "Pets are NOT permitted for bookings at any of the parks in this offer." A booking cannot be made through a newspaper promotional offer without agreeing to these terms and conditions.

We also seek to reiterate this through our own marketing:

- Paragraph 13 of our own terms and conditions which are published in our brochure, on our website and on the reverse of your holiday confirmation, state in paragraph 13: “Pets are not permitted on third party newspaper promotions”.

- On the Park information pages we have supplied for the newspaper promotion websites, we do state clearly: “Pets are not accepted at this Park on this promotion”.

- On the Pet Friendly Holidays page on our own website, we do clearly state in the first section that pets cannot be added to newspaper promotion bookings.

- On the Newspaper Promotions page on our own website, we do state in the frequently asked questions section that pets are not permitted on newspaper promotions and that bookings will need to be made with us directly.

The guidance we have received from the operators of the newspaper promotions is: “If the Holiday Park you are allocated does not accept pets, we are unable to amend or cancel your holiday.”

If you would still like to attend the holiday, our local kennels are: Coastal Kennels on 01271 862791. Alternatively you may pass the holiday on to a family member or friend; they will need to agree to the terms and condition of both the newspaper promotion and our own terms and conditions. To change the name we will require a signed letter from the lead name on the booking.

Aidan Glover - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were at Golden Coast from 12 - 16 May and were blessed with good weather. This is the second time we have been (we have also been to Woolacombe bay once)

We stayed in an Exclusive lodge, which, whilst nice enough, I would certainly not describe as luxury as advertised on the website! The furniture was a bit dated, but perfectly adequate. The lodge was in a good location just by the shop, but I would not necessarily book an exclusive lodge again (unless the price was not too different from any other level of accommodation). I personally think the starter grocery pack provided in previous years was much better than the Devon Gift Pack - if you book the exclusive lodge and have the Devon Gift pack, check in reception before using the vouchers provided in the pack as, we found that the one for the big sheep was better value in reception than the one in the pack was!

There is not enough storage for food in the lodge (in fact there was no storage for food!) and the table mats were covered in crumbs.

The lodge was basically what I would expect from any standard of accommodation (other than the under floor heating, which for the time we were there wasn't really required and it was quite spacious).

When we arrived, we went to the Old Mill for food (having been there previously and enjoyed it) however, they only served food between 12 and 2 and then from 5pm onwards! Having had a few hours drive, we were ready for some food so ended up buying something from the shop and making our own back at the lodge. The next day, we went again to the old mill just after 12 only for it to be closed due to the till being reconfigured! given the short amount of time they served food, surely this could have been done outside of food serving time? That day, we made the mistake of going to Harry's bar for food. It was not good at all! I would not expect any holiday park to serve great food, but it was just horrible! Also the barmaid/waitress didn't even know what time food was served (menu said 12 but when we went to order at 12.20 we were told that we couldn't order until 12.30, only for the people on the next table to us to get their food almost immediately after that!!). The fact that the comedian on in the evening also made a joke about how terrible the food was in there says something!

Bar prices are ridiculous! Take drinks for kids with you (which we only worked out on the final night!) as it will save you a fortune!

That is probably it as far as negatives go!

The Park Star's as ever were great, they work so hard to keep kids and adults entertained and did it very well!!!

There is a lot to do on site and our 2 and half year old daughter loved every minute which at the end of the day is what we booked the holiday for. The soft play, bowling and pool were all very good, although the pool could do with a few more changing rooms.

Reception were polite and helpful and the shop was very well stocked and reasonably priced.

We had bus tickets for the week and went down in to Woolacombe a couple of times as the weather was so good - beware of the seagulls on the beach, we witnessed a young boy have a sandwich taken out of his hand!

The beach is great and highly recommended for all ages!

Given what we want from a holiday, Golden Coast has everything and we will no doubt be back again next year!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
I am sorry to read that you did not feel your Exclusive Lodge was luxurious accommodation. They were refurbished recently to a high standard, with new spotlights and sky lights, Italian marble bathroom and en suite, and additional appliances such as a dishwasher and a TV in the master bedroom. Our Devon Gift Pack includes many goodies from the local area, including fudge, cookies and fruit juices. We believe in supporting our local community, and offering our guests a chance to sample the wonderful local delights, however I have noted your comments. Our Receptions do have vouchers for The Big Sheep, which can be used in conjunction along with the Devon Gift Pack free adult entry pass.

I am sorry that you did not enjoy the food at the Old Mill pub, or Harry’s Sports Bar. I have noted your comments with regard to your order at Harry’s Sports Bar, and will ensure this is followed up with the team there, and implement any training that needs to be done. I also apologise that you felt the bar prices to be expensive; they are in line with our local area.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed the wide variety of activities and facilities that we offer on site, and it’s great to read that you are planning a return visit. Keep checking the internet or register your email address with us to ensure you get the very best discounts.

Chlemsford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

We stayed in a silver caravan which was small and grubby. There was no room to put a travel cot or pram for our 3 month old baby to sleep in so he had to sleep in bed with us- we did let the park know we was bringing a baby and was assured our accommodation would be suitable. There was mould on the mattresses.

Not all the activities were open, but it was quite windy. The location is fab and was why we chose this area to stay, however we stayed at Twichen House before and it is a much better cleaner site.

What really made it for us were the park stars, they really are a credit to the holiday park and they did an amazing job.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I apologise that you found your accommodation to be grubby - I do hope you reported this to our Reception team so they could ensure this was rectified for you. I am sorry that you felt the caravan to be small, the dimensions are on all our literature. We could have removed a single bed for you to put your cot into had you advised us that you were bringing your own cot.

Due to the anonymous nature of Tripadvisor reviews, I cannot ascertain the dates of your holiday, however I am unsure as to which activities you found not to be open as all of our activities have been open. I am very pleased you enjoyed the our sister site Twitchen House, and I hope that you return to stay in the future. I will ensure your kind words are passed on to our Parkstars.

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

We booked a Friday to Monday stay in a silver two bed roomed caravan in cleavewood. On arrival we found ants in the kitchen and food pieces in the plug hole. A t-shirt in the wardrobe. In our opinion it hadn't been cleaned properly. On reporting the ants to reception it was delt with , however I did have to throw away a tin of cakes as ants had got in. ( no mention of replacing when mentioned at reception ! ). Facilities were great and outdoor pool had awesome slides. In indoor pool toilets weren't very clean but changing rooms were spotless. Entertainment ..... Park stars far too loud. I'm a entertainer myself volume way too high. Cabaret o k. Rock duo not really appropriate for family ! We had fab weather so that was a bonus. Have rebooked for next year but at 50% off. Wouldn't pay full price.

Room Tip: Our place was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am sorry to read that you experienced some Housekeeping issues on arrival, and I do hope you reported any issues with cleanliness so we could rectify this for you. During warm periods the appearance of ants is fairly common. Advice from the Local Environment Health Officer confirms that they appear for no apparent reason and do not necessarily reflect any lack of hygiene. They can only be attributed to a force of nature that is beyond our control as we trust you can appreciate, but we apologise for any distress or inconvenience this situation may cause to you.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities, including our outdoor pools, and have noted your comments regarding the entertainment. It’s wonderful to read that you took advantage of our amazing onsite offers, and have already booked your 2015 holiday. We look forward to seeing you again.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights. We upgraded to a Silver villa before arrival. We checked in and got handed our keys - our villa was directly opposite the bar and reception, the busiest area of the park and very noisy. We opened the door to our "villa" and it absolutely stank of bleach. Which is quite amusing as the villa was filthy. Birds mess on every window, mould and grime in the bathroom, and the view from the kitchen was of a rancid disused pool with swarms of flies over it. We went back to reception and complained, this was quickly sorted out and we got given the same grade of villa in a different area of the park. This was marginally better than the previous one and we accepted it. Was still dirty though and I spent a good hour cleaning it.

The facilities on the park are good. Food is rubbish as it always is on these type of holidays so we ate in local restaurants instead.

The show bar area needs updating, the tables and chairs were worn and wobbly.

The Parkstar Entertainers were fantastic, kids really enjoyed the activities they laid on.

Unfortunately we won't return to this site as the standard of cleanliness is terrible and a lot of repairs need done. Woolacombe itself is beautiful though.

3 Thank Sunshinesjs
I am so disappointed to read your review. Our Reception team moved you to an alternative accommodation, and because you did not report any of the issues you decided to write on Tripadvisor, we were completely unaware that you were dissatisfied with this move. We do have a variety of grades and styles of accommodation to suit all individual preferences, and any issues with cleanliness would have been rectified immediately had you given us the opportunity.

I am sorry to read that you did not like the food on site. We have several different eateries on site, including Harry’s Sports Bar and The Old Mill pub, although I am sorry that these weren’t to your liking. I have noted your comments regarding our entertainment complex, and are looking into this for our future developments. I am, however, very pleased to read that your children enjoyed the entertainment, and I do hope you reconsider in the future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

Went to this park recently for a 4 night stay with our little one. We wasn't actually aware that the whole site was house based as we thought we would be in a caravan though this is in no way the fault of the site but for us for not looking properly! Upon arrival there was a slight problem with finding our booking which was rectified by the staff helpfully.

The house itself was clean and tidy for our arrival with local window cleaners cleaning the windows daily which is a nice touch

Our house was a small distance away from the site so we couldn't hear any music. However one night we was awakened by the sound of a seemingly drunk individual shouting various obscenities which was less than desirable.

Park facilities, entertainment and such were all absolutely fine and we had a great time here

Our only gripe was that the electricity on our final morning seemed to cut out at 7:30am which, if intentional by the site is a bit harsh as it states we should leave by 10am and forced us to leave at 9am

As I said, I am unsure if this was intentional or not.

Would recommend to others, congrats in particular to the entertainment team !

Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Boshologist
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for your wonderful review.

I am very pleased to read that your accommodation on arrival was clean, tidy and well located, and you found your windows to be clean.

Being a family Park, we don’t often get reports of any disturbance, and I am very sorry to read of your experience. We have a Night Security warden on all evening who can be contacted via mobile phone should you require.

I am also disappointed to read of the problem you experienced with your electricity - I can assure you this was not intentional at all, and had you reported this, we would have ensured our Maintenance team rectify this quickly.

I will pass your kind words on to our Entertainment team, thank you very much.

plymouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2014

We stayed in a caravan which was lovely,clean and with all essential items in place.We went to see the entertainment that evening,This was lively and very good..with lots of people enjoying the acts.We made use of the nearby indoor pool and sauna next morning..which was very nice.We then visited nearby areas,A very beautiful part of Devon.more entertainment at the campsite that evening after another dip in the wonderful pool..a round of golf next day with the boys,and a visit to verity..the bronze statue by Damien hirst,a gift to Ilfracombe..which is a wonderful sight..also a beautiful part of north Devon..all in all lovely time,and would definitely go back..oh forgot,we visited other campsite nearby as part of the deal you can go to any of the sites owed by same people..which is great..lovely time had by all..:-)

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review; I am so pleased to read that your holiday was such an enjoyable one. Our entertainers work very hard to provide quality entertainment for all the family, and I am so pleased to read that you appreciated this. We are lucky enough to be situated in one of the most beautiful places in the UK, and it’s wonderful to read that you visited some of the local places of interest. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Bideford Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Combe Martin

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!