“Not comfortable very basic”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
Caerphilly, United Kingdom
“Not comfortable very basic”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We did not have a freezer in the bronze 2 bedroomed caravan, our double bed didn't seem to fit the frame and it was very uncomfortable springs almost coming through the mattress. We seemed to be very far away from the amenities. We have children a 4 year and 1 year old was difficult climbling the hill from Cleveland park to the clubhouse and outdoor, indoor pool the whole complex really. If I had realised when booking that I should have checked where I was going to be situated in that park I would have chosen a sun holiday instead of paying over 400 pounds which I didn't think was worth it. I am sorry but I will not be returning to the park with the children again. The outdoor pool seemed rather cold for that time of year. Our children only visited the indoor pool twice in the time spent here. We paid 400 pound for a 3 whole day stay holiday because by time you arrive at 4pm on a Monday and then leave at 10am on Friday you only 3 full days to spend here. This is why I have rated poorly.

Room Tip: I don't know how to answer this as I stayed in a caravan if I had a choice of where the caravan...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I am sorry to read that there are certain aspects of your accommodation that did not meet your expectations. Our Bronze caravans are not advertised as coming with freezers, and we do have several different grades of accommodation that do come with freezers should you have required. I have noted your comments regarding the mattress, and I am sorry if this detracted from your holiday experience. It does state on our website that our caravans are a walk from the Entertainment, and because of our location in the beautiful North Devon, there are areas that are naturally hilly, as stated on our website. I am sorry to read that you did not find your holiday value for money, and we hope you reconsider your decision not to return. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
Shepton Mallet, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My family and I had a fantastic time. The pools were lovely and very clean. The staff were attentive and always on hand to help. The entertainment was funny and great for children. The caravan we stayed in was a nice size and comfortable. I would definitely take my family back for another holiday.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for your fabulous review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. Our team work very hard, and will appreciate your kind comments. It’s great that your accommodation suited your requirements as well; don’t forget to keep checking the internet for great returning offers. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Hampshire
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend with 2 young children. Stayed in the platinum caravans, they are ok, about 10 min walk to all the facilities. Could have done with some net curtains in the windows.
Facilities are good, entertainment and evening really good for the children. Didn't use the outdoor pool as it rained most the time and was cold! So indoor pool was packed with only 3 changing rooms! Not so great.
All in all tho a great time if you get it at a great price

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I have noted your comments regarding the net windows, thank you for your feedback. It’s great that you enjoyed the Entertainment and facilities whilst on site, and we hope to welcome you back in the future. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Bucks U.K.
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We stayed at one of the executive cabins and found it very clean and comfortable. The facilities on site are very good and cater for all ages and weather. We had a problem with our TV and it was replaced the same day. We will probably go back.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your recent holiday in an Exclusive Lodge, and our wide variety of facilities catered well for all of your party. It’s great to read that any problems you experienced whilst on Park were dealt with promptly, and we look forward to welcoming you back. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Doncaster
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The park itself is very good with many amenities available. What lets this place down is the state of the accommodation. We had booked a Bronze villa which was supposed to be an upgrade from a caravan. This, however, was definitely not the case, the villa was dirty and very dated. The bathroom had mould everywhere, the floors were mucky and everything was dusty and smelt of mould. We therefore asked to be moved to a caravan which was slightly better, but when we were fitting the bed sheets etc. there were patches of mould on the underside of the mattress and all in the corners of the windows etc. was dirt and grime. As above the entertainment was ok, but the main entertainer really needs to have a word with himself. On several occasions he was outright rude to a number of children during the disco/ games section in the early evening. Not only did we notice this but several other families said the same thing the next day, he should count himself lucky nobody raised this with him on the night in front of everyone. All in all, the park needs modernising from top to bottom. ( Nearly forgot, the cinema is unbelievably hot given the proximity to the sauna, and it also resembles a scene from the hostel, dark dank and smelly)

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am very sorry to read that you were not happy with your stay at Golden Coast, despite the variety of facilities that you enjoyed on site. We have many styles and grades of accommodation, and I am pleased that you found the caravan to be more to your liking. I have noted your comments regarding the mattress in the caravans, and have passed this to our Accommodation Manager to ensure her team members check this. I am sorry to read of your comments with regard to our Entertainment team – we usually receive nothing but praise for our hard working team. I have, however, noted your comments and passed them to our Head of Entertainment. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

When you are paying in excess of £700 to take the family away and you have upgraded to an apartment, there are a few things you would expect: -
1) A clean apartment on arrival. Not an over-expectation on our part but the whole place was just grubby, add to that the place had been finished by builders who clearly didn't care (gaps between the wall and floor, some form of man-made sludge down the side of the fridge etc...)
2) Enough cutlery for the whole family
3) Windows that had been cleaned on the outside.
4) All bedrooms having direct access to the landing (not having to walk through somebody else's bedroom to get out of your own bedroom)
5) Not to have ants running all over the window sills.

The entertainment for the children was decent and there was a good number of unique on-site activities. As with other reviews, the shop is really impressive and stocks everything you should need. I also have to say that the mattresses were hard and that was great for me but might not be to everybody's liking.

The front desk staff were friendly and professional however the other staff need a crash course in customer service. You could tell their hearts weren't in it. I don't want to hear staff blaspheme around my child, that it not what we came away for. Equally, I want staff to at least give me the illusion they are interested. One particular staff member on supervising the children's trampolines was constantly cheek puffing and disinterested. Sorry that I'm an irritation pal!

This holiday park gets a 2 star review only because it was not as hellish as the 1 star Pontins holiday. Make no mistake though - you should avoid this park like the plague. We will be!!!!

Room Tip: Pick a room in a B&B in the centre of Woolacombe!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Alex C
I am saddened to read your review. Had you reported any missing inventory, our Housekeeping team would have rectified this immediately. Despite our seaside location, we do our utmost to ensure windows are cleaned on a regular basis, and could have organised our Housekeeping team to clean these for you if you reported this to our Reception team. We have many styles and grades of accommodation, and if the layout was not to your party’s requirements, we could have found a more suitable accommodation had you spoken with our team. It is very difficult for us to anticipate each bookings individual requirements.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the shop, and found our Reception team to be friendly and professional, although I am disappointed to read that you felt our other staff to be despondent. I have noted your comments and will ensure they are passed on to the relevant departments.

Aidan Glover - General Manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We just returned from a school half-term break for 7 days at this holiday park. We stayed in a two bedroom villa. The park itself had really good facilities such as the entertainment, kids activities, shop, laundry etc. But the villa was poor to average. for the price we paid, it could definitely have been better. the kitchen had limited cutlery, the living room didnt have enough heating, the rooms were quite shabby, the entrance to the villa was also very unappealing.
But the fact that you could use the activities of all the 4 parks owned by the same group was good. there was a lot to choose from and see where to take the kids. The wifi signal was very poor in the villa, considering we had to pay to access it. Free wifi in the entertainment centre was not bad though.
The Woolacombe beach was an added bonus. It was beautiful, really sandy and fun to be at. It was fairly clean as well, considering half-term.

Room Tip: Try and get a cottage at the Woolacombe bay resort, a sister company of this one. the view from that...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the wide variety of facilities that we offer on site, and made full use of our sister Parks which you are free to use the facilities at also. Each Park has its own quirky points, and it’s great that you took advantage of these.

I am very sorry to read you did not feel your Bronze Villa was value for money. Our Bronze Villas are not centrally heated, however we do have a variety of accommodation on site that is, and perhaps a different style or grade would be better suited to your family if you felt there was limited heating. If you require additional cutlery, our Housekeeping team could have provided any additional cutlery you needed.

It’s wonderful to read that you enjoyed our fantastic location, and Woolacombe's gorgeous 3 mile sandy beach. We do hope to welcome you back in the future; keep checking the internet for fantastic returning offers.

Aidan Glover - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Barnstaple Hotel
Barnstaple Hotel
#3 of 6 in Barnstaple
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!