“Kids loved it”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
Leeds
“Kids loved it”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a Gold Apartment which was a mixture of modern and new ( bathrooms) and slightly chintzy furnishings ( bedrooms). It was spacious enough and providing a barbecue is a nice touch.

The kids loved the park (bowling, wave machine, trampolines, evening disco, outdoor pool with slides). The area is fantastic and Woolacombe beach is superb where we all had a go at surfing.

The disappointing aspects were:

1. The old mill pub food was at best average. We sent the apple pie back ( we've never done that). The real ales were poor quality also. I also think the adventure playground is slightly dangerous.

2. The main indoor pool is very basic and not very kid friendly. On a rainy day we couldn't get in so had to go down to the caravan park next door. The pool there was tiny and absolutely packed. It was a ridiculous situation and it seemed like the park couldn't cater with everyone wanting to be indoors on a rainy day.

3. No free Wifi on site. Surely this is a must in this day and age ?

Overall, we enjoyed our stay despite some mixed weather.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank nrty
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased that you appreciated our newly refurbished Gold Lodges, and found it to be spacious enough to accommodate your party. It’s wonderful to read that you fully utilised the wide range of facilities, and you also took advantage of our fantastic location, on the doorstep of one of the UK’s most fabulous beaches.

I am extremely sorry to read of your disappointing experience at the Old Mill Pub. Our guests usually enjoy this traditional eatery, although I am sorry to read it did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comments, and will ensure your comments are passed on. We have regular and certificated Health and Safety checks on the play area by the Old Mill, and can assure you our guests safety is of paramount importance.

Our indoor swimming pool, as with any swimming pool, has to comply with health and safety regulations, including not exceeding a maximum capacity of swimmers. We therefore have to prevent entry to our swimming pools when they have reached this capacity.

We have a variety of wet weather facilities across our 4 Parks, including 5 indoor swimming pools, 2 cinemas (including a 3D cinema at Twitchen House), bowling, a variety of arcades, entertainment throughout the day on each of our sites, 2 soft play areas, table tennis, snooker and pool tables.

For the 2014 season, we implemented free WiFi in the Bars and Bowling area of our clubhouse, although I am sorry if you did not find this free facility.

Aidan Glover - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
Birmingham
Reviewed 7 June 2014

Gold Coast offers something for the whole family. Lots of things to do for the kids and the evening entertainment is always varied. Woolacombe is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the beach, although prices rival London for eating out! It's worth a trip to Tesco in Infracombe to stock up on essentials.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Over the past few years, we have heavily invested in our facilities to ensure that there is always something for each of the family, and it’s wonderful to read that you appreciated this. Woolacombe is renowned for the glorious beach and pretty countryside, and it’s great to read you explored our local area. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Aidan Glover - General Manager
cardiff
Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just returned from here. We booked a cheap midweek newspaper deal break, so perhaps the bargain is shaping our opinion; but honestly we were delighted. We upgraded to a silver lodge. After reading reviews of cleanliness on here I turned the key with some trepidation! Place was small and clean. Not the best equipped kitchen (couldn't do a pasta bake no dishes!) but hey. Let's eat out we are on holiday!
We have very small children so we appreciated the proximity of everything. The adventure play place at The Old Mil was great. Pools were warm and the evening entertainment was fine (we are not ones for bingo and late nights out in a bar so can't tell you what the adult entertainment was like).
All of the above, along with proximity to one of the best beaches in the UK, I dunno what more you need for a family break! Will return next year.

Room Tip: Silver lodges were great.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank maccas31
Thank you very much for your glowing review, I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. The promotional breaks are a great value way to experience a Park, and the option to upgrade means you can still add those additional luxuries that can really make the difference on holiday. I am pleased that your accommodation was clean on your arrival, and you enjoyed the location on Park. It’s also wonderful to read that you ventured to the beach, and made the most of our fantastic location in rural North Devon. Keep checking the internet for the very best returning offers. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

After arriving to the beautiful location and getting our key to our lodge. My partner, my two young daughters and I who were very excited, ended up being very disappointed when we stepped into our lodge. The kitchen had approx 10-12 ants running all over the kitchen work tops in the sugar bowl, over the cooker. The whole place looked like it hasn't been cleaned, the fridge still had bits of food and crumbs left in it. The bottom sheets on the mattress had mud on them and the bathroom was disgusting. I went and spoke with reception who gave me another lodge, where we walked in to be greeted by the same appearance as the last lodge. But not only was there ants in the kitchen. They were also running in and out of the shower and sink. There was also old cooked pasta on the floor of the kitchen and basically it looked like it hasn't been cleaned. By this time I was really upset and plus the fact we had two eager children who just wanted to get on and enjoy their holiday. So we loaded everything back in the car and I went to see the Accompdation manager. Who I must add was very nice but who did stress that we shouldn't leave anything sweet out on the work tops during our holiday like butter etc. Who doesn't do that. (I do that at home on a butter dish and with two young kids that was sometimes impossible).
I explained my concerns to her and explained how we didn't expect to travel over 230 miles to have to clean and deal with ants before we settled in to enjoy our holiday. So she then upgraded us with the extra that our beds would be made.
We entered the third lodge here again it wasn't the best but it was cleanish and on the plus side we didn't have to deal with ants and by this time my children were very eager to get on and enjoy our holiday. So we settled in. As the holiday progressed it wasn't just ants we had to deal with it was slugs who were getting in from the gap in between the front door and the front door mat. So my partner just ended up dealing with them. But by this time we couldn't be bothered to go and complain again, so we didn't unpack anything and didn't unpack any of food items apart from the fridge items and just basically used the lodge as a base!! Our overall view is that maybe some of these lodges' exterior just need a bit if work to them and some just need knocking down. Next time for sure I will not be booking a lodge, as we booked it and upgraded to silver as a LODGE sounds very nice, but we would be definitely sticking with a caravan from now on. One thing that really annoyed us was that because the park knew they had a problem with ants. It wasn't explained on the website to prepare people and we were also not told about the ants on arrival. I totally am aware that there are going to be ants and I understand that totally. But if they are going to invade people's Accompdation that they have paid good money for then surely preventative measures should of been used to ensure that they were kept under control before people used the lodges. May I also add that I was not the only one complaining about ants on arrival!!! It was such a shame. I was recommended golden coast ( but the people who recommended the park stay in the caravans). We were really looking forward to our holiday. But it did put a dampener on the holiday and tensions were high. It was in fact nice to return home. I would say to any one that is visiting golden coast that the facilities are great and the entertainment for the kids but do not stay in the lodges. Do not upgrade as its not worth it. All of our best holidays have been in caravans. So if we were to return it would be to stay in a caravan. The lodges are not what they are made out to be on the website. They certainly don't show the bad aspects of them. Sorry golden coast. We as a family who had travelled over 230 miles were very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Megcadi1
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
I am disappointed to read your review. During warm periods the appearance of ants is fairly common. Advice from the Local Environment Health Officer confirms that they do appear for no apparent reason and do not necessarily reflect any lack of hygiene. They can only be attributed to a force of nature that is impossible to control, as we trust you can appreciate. We are situated in the beautiful North Devon countryside, and we do our utmost to ensure all measures we possibly can are taken to control them. I am sorry to read that you felt the lodge was not value for money because of the ants, and I am disappointed to read that your holiday experience was dampened by this. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Dorchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

we enjoyed our weekend we willbe back later this year but in a bigger caravan 2 bed was tight for
4 poeple entertainment was very good ex the kids. looking forwards to going back later this year
only a out door gym could do with a in door one

Room Tip: not a room a caravan
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your great review Terry, I was really pleased to read that you had a great time and are coming back to us again.

In our brochure and website, we do advertise our 10-foot wide caravans as being "best for your budget" as they usually offer the best price within the Bronze and Silver grades in a standard width caravan. They're best suited to short breaks or week's holidays on a tighter budget. We do have the option, for a small supplement, at our Woolacombe Bay and Twitchen House Parks of an "extra wide" model which gives 20% more space which really does make the world of difference. All our caravans graded Gold, Platinum and Exclusive are extra wide as standard, whilst at Golden Coast we also have lodges, villas and apartments which are substantially larger than any caravans.

We thank you for your feedback regarding the gym and will forward it on for consideration for future development.

See you again soon!

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This place looked very good from the website and we booked in January for the end of May half term. The accommodation description for Silver caravans looked fine for what we wanted. However, two days before we were due to arrive the same 4 night stay was £170.00 less than I had paid 6 months ago. When I rang and complained was just offered a rather disinterested "yeah, sorry about that" and even having paid for cancellation insurance was not allowed to cancel and rebook. So that wasn't a great start to the holiday before we'd even arrived.

Upon arrival things didn't really improve. The silver caravans are crammed into an area at the back end of the park and have just about enough space between them to reverse the car and barely any outdoor "pitch" to speak of. The caravans were cramped. It was practically impossible to walk down either side of the double bed, and if the cupboard door was open, forget about it. The toilet was cramped, the shower barely a dribble. Also agree with a previous reviewer that the bed was very uncomfortable, with hard bumpy springs, plus one of the pillows provided was really unpleasantly stained, but luckily the tiny cupboards were cramped with about 5 other pillows to chose from.

We had issues with the swimming pools which we bought up with reception at the time and again were met with a disinterested "sorry about that" and nothing more. The indoor pool at Cleavewood was (is) completely unstaffed and can get very busy for such a small pool, but also suffers because people walk straight in off the adjacent field and all around the pool area making it very muddy and grassy.

Saying that, our children (5 and 3) loved their holiday, the kids' entertainment is very good, and the staff on the outdoor activities (climbing wall, water walkers etc) were also very good. And the local area, in particular Woolacombe Sands beach, is very nice.

Overall, we were disappointed, and I don't think even going for a more expensive accommodation would make me come back here. I would rather pay the extra and go to Centre Parcs.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am sorry to read that you were not happy regarding the pricing of our holidays. As with any leisure and retail environment, prices can fluctuate as different offers and promotions occur. This happens right the way throughout the industry, from flights and train travel, to food and clothes shops.

I am sorry to read that you found your Silver Caravan to be small, however the dimensions of our caravans are stated on the website and our literature. I am sorry you experienced some housekeeping issues with your accommodation, and I do hope you reported these at the time to enable us the chance to rectify them. I am also sorry to read that you encountered some problems with our swimming pools on site. I can assure you, providing excellent customer service is very important to our Reception team, although I have noted your comments.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the facilities and Entertainment, and also our fantastic location.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Lovely weekend, wish we have booked a week. Thoroughly enjoyed the entertainment and accommodation was clean and cozy. Can't recommend enough how good value this break was. Good work guys - the Joneses ;)

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Rhiannon E
Hello the Jones’s! Thank you so much for your wonderful review, it’s excellent to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. We have fantastic offers on our website, keep checking to find the best returning offers. Aidan Glover - General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
Sandaway Beach Holiday Park
#5 of 8 in Combe Martin
Combe Martin Beach Holiday Park

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!