“Excellent value and good fun”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Woolacombe
Golden Coast Holiday Village
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Booked through The Sun holiday breaks. We'd stay at Woolacombe Holidsy Village before which was great and managed to get in at Golden Coast this time. We stayed in a silver lodge which was clean and adequate for our needs. It had a HD TV, washer/dryer and enough room for the 4 of us. We enjoyed the facilities on the park especially the Wave simulator which my son tried body boarding on and loved it! Will look to stay there again

• Stayed: June 2014
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very pleased to read that your Silver Lodge met your expectations, and accommodated your family’s requirements. It’s great to read that your son enjoyed the Woolacombe Wave; we are lucky enough to be one of the only establishments with a Surf Simulator in the country, and I am very pleased you took advantage of this unique experience. Don’t forget to register your email address with us to ensure you receive the very best returning offers. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,317)

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Extremely disappointed with Woolacombe bay, golden coast holiday village, on our first night we had a mouse run right across our feet, it was too late to do anything so we waited to report it the following morning, the mouse was out again the following morning when my 20 month old daughter dropped some breakfast cereal on the floor it ran out took it and ran away again!!! Later that evening we had what we thought were two more smaller mice running around, when in fact on closer examination we came to conclusion they were shrews. We complained almost everyday about the mice and no action was taken what so ever. On top of this problem, the place was crawling in ants, we asked for ant powder to be put down outside...this was never done either. The toilet seat was broken and would fall of every time you sat on it, once again problem reported, no action taken. The oven did not work, just the grill. Only two of the hobs worked on top of the oven. The freezer compartment of the fridge was broken. All of the light bulbs had blown in the kitchen light....the list goes on. We left the accommodation early as I could not stand lying in bed each night listening to the mice / shrews running around. We paid £50 to upgrade to a silver lodge, if this was a silver lodge I would hate to see what the state of the place was in we should have been originally staying in!! Shame the staff, including management showed no interest in resolving any of e problems!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank KPT04

I am very disappointed to read of your dissatisfaction whilst staying on site. Our beautiful countryside location means that we are surrounded by curious wildlife, and whilst we take all measures we possibly can to ensure this does not impact your stay, it is a force of nature which we do our utmost to control as I am sure you appreciate. We did take your reports seriously, and our team visited your accommodation to investigate, and lay ant powder, as you requested. Our Housekeeping team lay ant powder outside, and you therefore may have thought that they did not respond to this request, but I can assure you we take any complaints very seriously. I am disappointed that the maintenance problems you experienced did not get rectified during your stay, and I will pass your comments are passed on to our team to ensure our usual efficiency is adhered to. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed in a Gold Apartment which was a mixture of modern and new ( bathrooms) and slightly chintzy furnishings ( bedrooms). It was spacious enough and providing a barbecue is a nice touch.

The kids loved the park (bowling, wave machine, trampolines, evening disco, outdoor pool with slides). The area is fantastic and Woolacombe beach is superb where we all had a go at surfing.

The disappointing aspects were:

1. The old mill pub food was at best average. We sent the apple pie back ( we've never done that). The real ales were poor quality also. I also think the adventure playground is slightly dangerous.

2. The main indoor pool is very basic and not very kid friendly. On a rainy day we couldn't get in so had to go down to the caravan park next door. The pool there was tiny and absolutely packed. It was a ridiculous situation and it seemed like the park couldn't cater with everyone wanting to be indoors on a rainy day.

3. No free Wifi on site. Surely this is a must in this day and age ?

Overall, we enjoyed our stay despite some mixed weather.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank RichardKWalker
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. I am pleased that you appreciated our newly refurbished Gold Lodges, and found it to be spacious enough to accommodate your party. It’s wonderful to read that you fully utilised the wide range of facilities, and you also took advantage of our fantastic location, on the doorstep of one of the UK’s most fabulous beaches.

I am extremely sorry to read of your disappointing experience at the Old Mill Pub. Our guests usually enjoy this traditional eatery, although I am sorry to read it did not meet your expectations. I have noted your comments, and will ensure your comments are passed on. We have regular and certificated Health and Safety checks on the play area by the Old Mill, and can assure you our guests safety is of paramount importance.

Our indoor swimming pool, as with any swimming pool, has to comply with health and safety regulations, including not exceeding a maximum capacity of swimmers. We therefore have to prevent entry to our swimming pools when they have reached this capacity.

We have a variety of wet weather facilities across our 4 Parks, including 5 indoor swimming pools, 2 cinemas (including a 3D cinema at Twitchen House), bowling, a variety of arcades, entertainment throughout the day on each of our sites, 2 soft play areas, table tennis, snooker and pool tables.

For the 2014 season, we implemented free WiFi in the Bars and Bowling area of our clubhouse, although I am sorry if you did not find this free facility.

Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed 7 June 2014

Gold Coast offers something for the whole family. Lots of things to do for the kids and the evening entertainment is always varied. Woolacombe is a beautiful place to relax and enjoy the beach, although prices rival London for eating out! It's worth a trip to Tesco in Infracombe to stock up on essentials.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. Over the past few years, we have heavily invested in our facilities to ensure that there is always something for each of the family, and it’s wonderful to read that you appreciated this. Woolacombe is renowned for the glorious beach and pretty countryside, and it’s great to read you explored our local area. We hope to welcome you back in the future. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed 6 June 2014

We have just returned from here. We booked a cheap midweek newspaper deal break, so perhaps the bargain is shaping our opinion; but honestly we were delighted. We upgraded to a silver lodge. After reading reviews of cleanliness on here I turned the key with some trepidation! Place was small and clean. Not the best equipped kitchen (couldn't do a pasta bake no dishes!) but hey. Let's eat out we are on holiday!
We have very small children so we appreciated the proximity of everything. The adventure play place at The Old Mil was great. Pools were warm and the evening entertainment was fine (we are not ones for bingo and late nights out in a bar so can't tell you what the adult entertainment was like).
All of the above, along with proximity to one of the best beaches in the UK, I dunno what more you need for a family break! Will return next year.

Room Tip: Silver lodges were great.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank maccas31

Thank you very much for your glowing review, I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay so much. The promotional breaks are a great value way to experience a Park, and the option to upgrade means you can still add those additional luxuries that can really make the difference on holiday. I am pleased that your accommodation was clean on your arrival, and you enjoyed the location on Park. It’s also wonderful to read that you ventured to the beach, and made the most of our fantastic location in rural North Devon. Keep checking the internet for the very best returning offers. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

After arriving to the beautiful location and getting our key to our lodge. My partner, my two young daughters and I who were very excited, ended up being very disappointed when we stepped into our lodge. The kitchen had approx 10-12 ants running all over the kitchen work tops in the sugar bowl, over the cooker. The whole place looked like it hasn't been cleaned, the fridge still had bits of food and crumbs left in it. The bottom sheets on the mattress had mud on them and the bathroom was disgusting. I went and spoke with reception who gave me another lodge, where we walked in to be greeted by the same appearance as the last lodge. But not only was there ants in the kitchen. They were also running in and out of the shower and sink. There was also old cooked pasta on the floor of the kitchen and basically it looked like it hasn't been cleaned. By this time I was really upset and plus the fact we had two eager children who just wanted to get on and enjoy their holiday. So we loaded everything back in the car and I went to see the Accompdation manager. Who I must add was very nice but who did stress that we shouldn't leave anything sweet out on the work tops during our holiday like butter etc. Who doesn't do that. (I do that at home on a butter dish and with two young kids that was sometimes impossible).
I explained my concerns to her and explained how we didn't expect to travel over 230 miles to have to clean and deal with ants before we settled in to enjoy our holiday. So she then upgraded us with the extra that our beds would be made.
We entered the third lodge here again it wasn't the best but it was cleanish and on the plus side we didn't have to deal with ants and by this time my children were very eager to get on and enjoy our holiday. So we settled in. As the holiday progressed it wasn't just ants we had to deal with it was slugs who were getting in from the gap in between the front door and the front door mat. So my partner just ended up dealing with them. But by this time we couldn't be bothered to go and complain again, so we didn't unpack anything and didn't unpack any of food items apart from the fridge items and just basically used the lodge as a base!! Our overall view is that maybe some of these lodges' exterior just need a bit if work to them and some just need knocking down. Next time for sure I will not be booking a lodge, as we booked it and upgraded to silver as a LODGE sounds very nice, but we would be definitely sticking with a caravan from now on. One thing that really annoyed us was that because the park knew they had a problem with ants. It wasn't explained on the website to prepare people and we were also not told about the ants on arrival. I totally am aware that there are going to be ants and I understand that totally. But if they are going to invade people's Accompdation that they have paid good money for then surely preventative measures should of been used to ensure that they were kept under control before people used the lodges. May I also add that I was not the only one complaining about ants on arrival!!! It was such a shame. I was recommended golden coast ( but the people who recommended the park stay in the caravans). We were really looking forward to our holiday. But it did put a dampener on the holiday and tensions were high. It was in fact nice to return home. I would say to any one that is visiting golden coast that the facilities are great and the entertainment for the kids but do not stay in the lodges. Do not upgrade as its not worth it. All of our best holidays have been in caravans. So if we were to return it would be to stay in a caravan. The lodges are not what they are made out to be on the website. They certainly don't show the bad aspects of them. Sorry golden coast. We as a family who had travelled over 230 miles were very disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Megcadi1
Woolacombe_Bay, Director of Sales at Golden Coast Holiday Village, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

I am disappointed to read your review. During warm periods the appearance of ants is fairly common. Advice from the Local Environment Health Officer confirms that they do appear for no apparent reason and do not necessarily reflect any lack of hygiene. They can only be attributed to a force of nature that is impossible to control, as we trust you can appreciate. We are situated in the beautiful North Devon countryside, and we do our utmost to ensure all measures we possibly can are taken to control them. I am sorry to read that you felt the lodge was not value for money because of the ants, and I am disappointed to read that your holiday experience was dampened by this. Aidan Glover - General Manager

Reviewed 4 June 2014

we enjoyed our weekend we willbe back later this year but in a bigger caravan 2 bed was tight for
4 poeple entertainment was very good ex the kids. looking forwards to going back later this year
only a out door gym could do with a in door one

Room Tip: not a room a caravan
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your great review Terry, I was really pleased to read that you had a great time and are coming back to us again.

In our brochure and website, we do advertise our 10-foot wide caravans as being "best for your budget" as they usually offer the best price within the Bronze and Silver grades in a standard width caravan. They're best suited to short breaks or week's holidays on a tighter budget. We do have the option, for a small supplement, at our Woolacombe Bay and Twitchen House Parks of an "extra wide" model which gives 20% more space which really does make the world of difference. All our caravans graded Gold, Platinum and Exclusive are extra wide as standard, whilst at Golden Coast we also have lodges, villas and apartments which are substantially larger than any caravans.

We thank you for your feedback regarding the gym and will forward it on for consideration for future development.

See you again soon!

Aidan Glover - General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Woolacombe
Saunton Sands Hotel
#3 of 4 in Woolacombe
Unison Croyde Bay Holiday Resort
15 mi away
Bideford Bay Holiday Park - Park Resorts

Been to Golden Coast Holiday Village? Share your experiences!