“Fantastic renovation, what a discovery!”

The Ilchester Arms Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Abbotsbury
London
“Fantastic renovation, what a discovery!”
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visited The Ilchester Arms many years ago and it was dirty, extremely run down and with rather dismissive staff. Upon seeing a few of the recent reviews we decided to pay it a second visit and what a transformation!

It's been taken over by a new family who introduced themselves when we arrived - the whole place has been renovated and looks fantastic. It still retains the original character and charm but is now clean, bright and really tastefully designed.

We started by having a drink on the sofas surrounding the fire, but decided to stay for lunch after we saw some delicious looking meals delivered to other tables. It was outstanding - I had home made fish pie and my partner had one of the best steaks he's ever had. They focus on fresh local ingredients which is important to us, and they had a good range of cheaper bar meals through to more comprehensive dinner options.

It's clearly a very new business, but they were so friendly, everyone was working their socks off to make it a pleasant experience for us, and the food was out of this world. It was comfortable and we ended up staying for hours.

Fyi apparently the bedrooms aren't yet renovated, but they seem to still have a lot of people requesting to stay and then told us that they're offering the rooms at a reduced rate whilst they're still basic. We've decided to go back in a couple of weeks time for a long weekend so that we can properly take advantage of the facilities and gorgeous location!

I really wish them all the best. They are working very hard to make this a success and I think it's a fantastic set up. We shall definitely be back.

Room Tip: Rooms are not yet renovated but are discounted in the meantime. Some rooms are apparently on the gro...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank holidayfun85
Sarah H, Public Relations Manager at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review Holidayfun85. This type of feedback is so important to us, and we're all chuffed that you enjoyed your visit (plus the more recent long weekend when you came for your re-visit). We hope to see you again soon. Best wishes from the Harrison family.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

We went to Abbotsbury for a weekend away from a busy London life, to explore beautiful countryside and relax. Everything was great. except that all places around were very old fashioned style or tea-rooms. So we were very pleased to find this really nice place, very friendly staff with good food. Service is a bit slow at busy times, so this is something you guys can work on. Olives should not take 20 minutes to arrive at the table! I've heard from locals that it's been opened very recently and had some teething issues initially as a new establishment.
I think this is pretty normal. What DID concern me is that local people do not want to visit the place because the new owner is an "outsider" apparently and does not take many steps to get their "buy-in" into the idea. If there would be 1 thing I could recommend to a very friendly owner - is to get the locals on board. They also spread the word and recommend OR NOT your place to others. Ask them and your customers for feedback.They thrive to give it, but right now it goes around you, rather than TO you. There is a lot of potential, but just sort out the little details like olives on time, spoon with a desert etc. And all the best to you & the team and good luck!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Olena B
TheIlchester, General Manager at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Hello,
Thank you for your comments, apologises if you felt the service lacked pace. We will improve and streamline our service, especially simple things like olives as you say should not take 20 minutes to arrive, we have put measures in place to stop this from happening and training is an ongoing process which is coming leaps and bounds.
I must say I am hugely interested by the local comment. We have been trying very hard to get local opinion, feedback and ideas and actually I am fairly happy with the response up to now, as we seem to have attracted a good number of locals in already but we are always looking to improve on whet we do and our local community is very important to that end. The general feedback has been excellent so far but we will make a plan to extend our accessibility to local feedback and see what this produces as we would like the pub to be the hub of the village once again.
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 May 2014

I have stopped off at this pub many times over the years. I was looking forward to the place being done up as it had become very run down, unfortunately I wasn't impressed.

The place has been redecorated and it looks much brighter and cleaner, (especially the conservatory and toilets) but in doing so the character has been completely stripped out and replaced with bizarre design features that look so out of place in an historic old inn. You could be in a pub anywhere tbh not a lovely village like Abbotsbury.

The service at the bar was slow to say the least despite there being lots of staff milling around. Having looked at the menu we decided not to eat as it was just too expensive.

There are some positive changes such as the new seating area in the garden and the conservatory opened up but the place has just lost it's charm. I don't think I will be rushing back especially when there are many other pubs in the area with more realistic prices and a nicer ambience. Sorry not for me I'm afraid.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 516janeyb
TheIlchester, General Manager at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear trip advisor member,

I am sorry to hear your experience was disappointing, we have spent a lot of time since opening 3 weeks ago, training and improving our service to minimise any delays.
Our renovations are obviously not to your taste, which is fair enough. I am however interested to know what you found too pricy as our main course options vary from £10 to £19? These are all freshly made in house dishes that incorporate all local produce, which admittedly is not the most cost efficient, but hugely important to us, as we want to use and support as many local businesses as possible. I would be keen for your insight and would love for you to come in to try our food as its worth every penny.
Thank you for your comments.
The Ilchester Arms team
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Stopped off here for some lunch on our way south and what a fantastic find. Upon walking in we were greeted with a warm welcome not to mention a warm open fire with gorgeous leather seats and couches around it. Nothing was too much trouble for the attentive staff and the owner even popped over for a friendly chat. The food was gorgeous too. I had the braised ribs which really reminded me of a good Irish stew growing up. Overall a very nice lunch and would definitely recommend this bar to anyone. No one should pay any heed to the reviews before March as I believe from Tom (current owner) that the old owner had done his best to run it into the ground.
5 stars for sure!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
TheIlchester, General Manager at The Ilchester Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Thank you for your comments , positive feedback is always lovely to hear and points us in the right direction.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

The ilchester arms team
Amesbury, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

Stopped off here for morning tea and hot chocolate. Wonderful warm welcome from all staff, who said our little dog was welcome. Hadn't realised until I read the website that they only reopened after the refurbishment Easter weekend. We sat by the welcoming large log fire and admired the surroundings which have been tastefully done. My husband had a pot of tea and I had an excellent hot chocolate decorated with a chunk of spongy cake. The bar and restaurant looked very enticing. We asked to see the lunch menu, excellent with numerous choices and reasonably priced, £12. We were still full from our B & B breakfast from another establishment otherwise we would have stopped for lunch. The toilets are excellent too, modern with various toiletries in baskets. We will return later in the year and book a room ( these are yet to be refurbished
and are at present £70 a night. Wishing you a great success with your venture which you have obviously put a lot of thought and hard work in to.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane L
Thank you for your lovely feedback, the tea we use is a local supply, the guilded teapot in Dorchester, and is fabulous as you know. We look forward to your return to try our food as I'm sure you will be just as impressed.

All the best

The ilchester arms team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsbury
Best Western Weymouth Hotel Rembrandt
Premier Inn Weymouth Hotel
Hotel Rex
Hotel Rex
#7 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to The Ilchester Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!