“Lots to do whatever the weather”

Abbotsbury Childrens Farm
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Abbotsbury
Reading, United Kingdom
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Lots to do whatever the weather”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Great for younger kids - could have spent more time there but wanted to do the swannery and the gardens as part of the package we paid for. Mat have to go again and do all 3 again!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What a rip off”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Took the kids (7&5) to the swannery (this was pretty-cygnets had hatched so was nice-although incredibly overpriced) and to the farm (£40 later) what a rip off. The 'farm' is no bigger than my local play park with about as many animals. The indoor play zone was freezing with hardly anywhere to sit. It was pretty appalling. I purposely didn't take them to farmer palmers as they've outgrown it but to be honest it would have been a much better day out and cheaper. This place is also in the middle of nowhere with hardly any signage. The one good thing I will say is that the staff were friendly and the pens and animals conditions were spectacular-but I'd expect nothing less at the price they charge. It warrants no more than a couple if pounds for entry and that's it.

2 Thank Abby1982
Axminster, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A great day out”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I am writing this as we very nearly didn't go to Abbotsbury after reading some of the negative reviews on here. The criticism seems to be that is is small, expensive and with unhelpful staff. So I will aim to answer them in that order:
It is a small farm (in beautiful surroundings) but there was enough variety for our almost three year old to be happy there for hours. There are a range of brilliant indoor and outdoor play activities (some involving sand and water) as well as the chance to hold guinea pigs, feed lambs, ride and groom ponies, walk goats and go into an aviary.
It was not extortionate to get in (and under 5s are free, which I think is very good) the cafe was averagely priced and there was a large selection of food. We only had a cake but it was very tasty.
The staff were very friendly and seemed really interested in the animals and the children - I did not meet anyone who I thought was rude or unhelpful.
All in all, we had a excellent day out - and were so impressed that we bought a season ticket (which also allows entrance to the Swannery and Subtropical Gardens).
I will concede that older children might not be engaged for as long as our little one was, but it is aimed at children under 11.
Don't be put off, try it for yourself. We were not disappointed.

2 Thank Suzi B
London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Not much to do”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Broken toy tractors not safe. Expensive and had to pay car park and pony ride. Staff not friendly or seemed unhappy apart from young lad and older man who spoke to my daughter and didn't mind her questions. Not many animals and guinea pigs were only ones to be held. Expensive for food and had to pay for remote control boat. They need to spend money on this attraction and give tractors that are not older than the staff they employ. Went away disappointed

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Cassandoa
NW London
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“WE DIDN'T LIKE IT”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Overpriced, not much there, poor facilities, café terrible service and very expensive - child's sandwich consisted of one slice of bread and a tiny piece of ham cost £2, daylight robbery. The barn was freezing cold and very dark, we didn't enjoy the trip at all.

1 Thank QueenieC