“Probably the best crab sandwich I ever tasted”
Review of The Abbey House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Abbotsbury
The Abbey House
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Abbotsbury
London, United Kingdom
“Probably the best crab sandwich I ever tasted”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We found this place by accident. We were about to wander onto the main street at Abbotsbury but a sign in the corner of Rodden Row car park pointed towards this place. It was a lovely day and we sat in the large grassed patio area looking down on the gardens and over the rolling scenery of Dorset. The crab sandwiches were delicious-substantial and fresh tasting. A very pleasant lunch.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Weymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2014

An excellent and very generous cream tea which was reasonably priced. The staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The setting was perfect.
In a party of six, we arrived in the late afternoon and found it was only five minutes to closing time. We were made extremely welcome and were not hurried.
Don't miss this.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
dorset
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not our first visit and it certainly won't be our last! The location is stunning and the owners are charming and friendly. We visited on a beautifully hot and sunny day, Sunday 13th July, for lunch. It was busy but the service was very good and we weren't kept waiting for long for our delicious food! It was the nicest goats' cheese salad I think I've ever had! My husband's crab salad was equally tasty.
Give yourself a treat and go for coffee/food here - the village of Abbotsbury is a wonderful place and has lots to do too!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely lunch at the abbey house tea rooms! Beautiful gardens and friendly staff who made us feel welcome.

My daughter had the lunch box which consisted of an egg sandwich, animal biscuits, skips, apple and a drink for around £4.50, I had a prawn sandwich and my partner a blt. My daughter said 'this is the best sandwich ever!' so a thumbs up from her! My partner enjoyed his blt (although did moan a little about the price £5.50) prawn sandwich was nice although I wish there had been more salad garnish with it (2 slices of cucumber, half a tomato and some cress) coke £2 each (small glass) no ice and a bit warm..

All in all a beautiful place to eat, would definitely go there again!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dorset
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Fantastic location and perfect in the garden. The owner moved a table for our party to be in the shade and was a brilliant host, with a witty and easy style that immediately made you feel at home and welcome.
Just drinks and snacks even though it was really lunch time was fine and we were not made to feel as though we should be ording a full lunch. Everyone in the garden was looked after and the staff were there when you needed them and not when you didn't.
Make a point of going here and you won't be disappointed. food standards were excellent.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Bath
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

This is one of those places where it is worth going out of your way to stay at. We stayed two nights and could not have been better looked after. The breakfasts were great and the lunches are good value. It is in a very scenic setting and you just want to stay. Will go back. Missing it already!

Stayed June 2014
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We were at the Children's farm just down the hill from Abbey House with 3 generations of the family, so when one of our party offered to treat us to a cream tea, we chose there rather than walk back into the village. We did not regret it. We sat outside surrounded by beautiful gardens and a wonderful view over the valley and the sun even blessed us with its presence. The gentleman taking orders was friendly and helpful, even coping with our Aunt's request for marmalade rather than jam with her scones. The portions were massive even by my standards. I had to pile the jam and cream high to use it all up, even though the scones were decently proportioned too. The cream was thick, full and fresh and the strawberry jam good quality, accompanied by enough tea for at least two cups each. I also believe the marmalade was of an acceptable standard. Despite being in a good spot to bring in tourists the prices were very reasonable.
I can't really fault our cream tea experience. I suppose some more choices of jam might have been nice but I expect that it is better to keep things simple when it gets busy. Full marks Abbey House!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsbury
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#7 of 22 in Weymouth
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
Bay Royal Weymouth Hotel
#13 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to The Abbey House? Share your experiences!