“Sleep in your car instead, never again.”

and 1 more site!
East Farm House B&B
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Abbotsbury
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Sleep in your car instead, never again.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

'We only take cash (no surprise), we are doing this on trust, break fast is 8.30 till 9.00 sharp'. No welcome on arrival when we eventually got let in, dark , gloomy, like being in an over cluttered car boot sale, great collection of spiders webs in every room, intense let down, most reluctant owner ever.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 186254Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
West Ham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

My friend and I stayed at East Farm House for a couple of nights and although overall we don't have any major cause for complaint, there are certainly some things that we found a little annoying, that with just a bit of on-going effort from Wendy, the landlady, could be a lot better.

Wendy is a fairly chatty host and explained where everything was and how it all works. She told us that breakfast was only from 8.30am until 9.00am and that we had to vacate by 10.30am.

At first sight our room looked lovely - very chintzy / lacy with muted floral decorations, paintings of horses and ornaments on every available shelf and surface. There was a large bowl of plastic / dried flowers on the chest of drawers and also on the dresser.

Tea and coffee is supplied but no complimentary fruit or a small packet of biscuits or a couple of little chocolates, like you get in most decent B'n'Bs these days.

There was no mini fridge either even though there would have been be plenty of room for one in the large walk in wardrobe.

I went to have a shower - There was only the smallest of hooks on the back of the door for my clothes - Pointless - Not nearly man enough for the job. Everything had to go on the loo seat.

In the shower itself, it took all my strength to turn the water on and when I had finished, I had to come out and get a damp towel to grip the control before I managed to turn it off. Although a good selection of soaps and shampoos is supplied, there is no shelf in the shower cabinet itself. You have to stoop down and put everything on the floor. There is no bath either.

I went to clean my teeth - Ooops - No glass provided for water to rinse my mouth - Not even one those ubiquitous disposable plastic glasses.

I looked for somewhere to put my makeup bag as there was no shelf above the sink - There was however an old fireplace but the mantelpiece was covered in figurines. I moved one to the side - it was caked in dust. I had to quickly wash my hands again after handling it. Yuk ! Another bowl of plastic flowers filled the disused fireplace - Again, rather dusty.

The bed was large, warm and very comfy - No bedside tables but there was plenty of hanging and storage space in the above mentioned walk-in wardrobe.

We both slept well but were awoken by a strange intermittent gurgling noise quite early in the morning. On further inspection, we found a large box in the bathroom directly under the cistern. Every time you turned the water on either in the basin or shower or flush the loo, it starts sucking and gulping the waste away.

I guess there must be one in the other guests' rooms too and this was the noise that woke us up. I might add in passing that there was no window in our bathroom, so an extractor fan had been fitted. This too clicked and whirred noisily while in action. Thankfully though, there was a switch to turn it off.

My final niggle is about the breakfast - Strickly 8.30am - 9.00am only - So we made sure we were at our seats in plenty of time - Not so our host - We waited 5 mins on the first day and over 10 on the second before she made an appearance.

I normally just have toast and marmalade and a cooked English breakfast, so I had no complaints - My friend however is a vegetarian and at home has either a croissant and jam or sometimes yoghurt and a piece of fruit. None of those can be found on Wendy's breakfast table. Even the cereal is limited to cheap muesli or cornflakes.

The location is fantastic, right in the middle of the village, close to all the tea shops and a brilliant wood products shop. The Swannery and Gardens are within easy walking distance.

The farmhouse itself is idyllic to look at and there are interesting stables and free parking at the rear. You can also park in a very cheap car park directly opposite, if the farm car park is full.

I thoroughly enjoyed my cooked breakfast but my veggie friend had major issues with the selection offered.

In summary, I would say that East Farm could be a whole lot better with just a little effort from the owners - It really seems like their heart just isn't in it anymore.

Wendy, ditch those plastic flowers, have a thorough spring clean. Get rid of most the "hard to clean" personal clutter and most of all fix that plumbing.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank JennyDarkinse
Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2009

Stayed at this bed and breakfast during a walking holiday on the South West Coast path. On booking the room it was requested by the owner, that payment be made in full by cheque. Reason being that many people had "let her down" in the past. It was a rainy day and we were very wet on arrival. There was a noisy welcolme by jack russell dogs, which alerted the owners daughter who was busy working on the farm. She was very welcoming and let us put our very wet boots under the radiator in the breakfast room. The bedroom was very quirky with sloping floors. The floorboards were very creaky though! The room was en suite, clean and adequate for our needs. Breakfast was average. Overall we enjoyed our stay at this charming old farmhouse.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GladysMidlands
Aberystwyth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2009

The East Farm Guest House, upon first inspection, appeared to be a lovely, quaint, family run B&B. However, our first impressions were soon quashed following our introduction to Mrs. Wendy Woods. After discussing our breakfast options and revealing that were we both vegetarians, she spent several minutes moaning about two vegetarians guests that had previously visited and the inconvenience they had caused her when they requested a cooked breakfast. The whole house was covered in dainty ornaments which, despite their charm, made ascending the stairs with suitcases/bags very precarious. The bedroom was fine, except the layer of dust that covered every surface and the cobwebs that adorned the ceiling. Breakfast was served in a room packed full of toys/books, and, once again, a layer of dust. The cereal was rationed (she provided a very poor selection), and unfortunately Wendy's hospitality was dominated by irritation and annoyance towards her guests. When we came to pay by cheque she expressed total dissatisfaction and requested cash due to the costs incurred when cashing cheques. A lovely house which has the potential to be a great B&B but is spoilt by the proprietor and her complete lack of personal skills.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business
2 Thank Spotty_slug
Kent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2008

If you are looking for the perfect place to stay near to Alnwick in Northumberland, then go to East House Farm.
The lovely old farmhouse and garden is located in a tiny hamlet some 6 miles south of Alnwick and 10 minutes' drive from the glorious coast There is only one room but with a kingsize bed, beautiful bathroom en suite, fluffy towels, bathrobes, a seating area plus TV with freeview , you will want for nothing.
Carol and Richard, your hosts, will make you feel really welcome. Carol's breakfasts, including Craster kippers, are delicious and the price for this super accommodation is exceptionally reasonable. Cannot recommend East House highly enough. We shall go back.

3 Thank Christine38
Bedfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2007

Lovely charming farmhouse in the idyllic village of Abbotsbury.

My husband and I spent one night here at the beginning of October 2007. The farmhouse is well located for a pub meal (would recommend The Ilchester Arms) and for strolls around the village and the local attractions.

Perhaps the beds have been changed since 2006 because ours was the most comfortable bed we've had in a b&b to date...!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — A tad on the cluttered side but that kind of added to the charm!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PinkPixie1975
Sheffield
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2006

This B&B has plenty of character as does Wendy who runs the place. Very interesting or maybe you could think cluttered as every surface or hanging space was adorned with dolls houses and prams, rocking horses and nick-nacks galore. Our bedroom was a reasonable size but I'm afraid the bed was the most uncomfortable one I have ever slept on. Not only was it uncomfortable but the mattress cover had a plastic backing so that overnight you became very sticky. I don't think I could ever contemplate going back there unless I knew that the beds had been changed. The location of the b & b was great, close to the sea and plenty of attractions in walking distance - I'd recommend Abbotsbury any time.

5 Thank cibbo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Abbotsbury
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#7 of 22 in Weymouth
Crown Hotel
Crown Hotel
#10 of 22 in Weymouth

Been to East Farm House B&B? Share your experiences!