“Must try harder” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wild Garlic - CLOSED

The Wild Garlic
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
“Must try harder”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Our first impression was good, although a little on the cold side for us. We were on a Travelzoo deal, it appeared to us that every other customer that evening, was also on a deal. Very sad that a "Masterchef winner has had to resort to this, the standard of food was poor, we would not return, it was not worth the price, even on the deal. On this form we can't see the restaurant surviving too long.

1 Thank jasper999

buckie
“a sadly very disappointing experience......”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2013

My long anticipated and long planned special lunch for 16 people at Easter ( husband's 60th) was spoilt by poor service, inconsistent portions, mediocre starters of duck cassoulet and parsnip soup ( I think) and a lack of even some bread to stave off the very very long wait for our first course. The lemon sole was very simple and nice but with no vegetables to go with- despite being told there would be - we were still hungry. Desserts were good.
As host I was embarrassed to make a fuss at the time for the sake of my guests.
I feel the restaurant owners should take note of the service issue and treat customers with some respect when they complain - the service is casual at best, which is not good enough when one is paying a significant amount for the priviledge.
I had travelled down from Scotland especially to lunch here as it has always been busy previously when I wanted to book a table - I wish I hadn't bothered.

London, United Kingdom
“Dinner with two friends living in Axminster”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Staying with friends, they booked the restaurant having not been back their for nearly two years they suggested we give a further try.
Wednesday night just after Easter, the chef and waitress slow to welcome us the chef disappearing into the kitchen without any hello, and the waitress could have demonstrated a bit of sparkle, the only warmth was the fire. There were two other diners. The bill £165 for three of us, 3 glasses white wine and a bottle of red. Starters disappointing, especially the pigeon, main courses and pudds excellent but sadly overall it the place lacked charm and atmosphere, felt as if the restaurant was winding down.
We will not be returning, I believe this master chef chappy Matt, may be moving on to a property in the area we will not be following him... Good luck.

• Visited April 2013
Sherborne, United Kingdom
“A Masterchef Disaster”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

I used a Travelzoo voucher & was completely underwhelmed at this Tasting Menu. We were given a tiny piece of sourdough bread & some olive oil to dip into, doesn't Mat know that this bread is dense, not soft & spongy & does not absorb anything? The "cheese & pickles" course was pretentious, ridiculously small in the extreme & entirely forgettable, while the Ham Hock terrine ( some ham hock half filling a tiny ramekin set in some jelly, cut into 2 portions, & only given 1) was tasty, but tiny & unimaginative. The "Parsnip Veloute" (read parsnip puree/gloop) was underseasoned & might have been perfect for a 12 month old child, but did not warrant being served up as part of a taster menu.The belly pork was ok, but it's cheap as chips isn't it, & a bit overused on menu's now for that reason. My friend had the duck breast which was tasty but tough. Dessert of a white chocolate & raspberry mousse was served in a shot glass, but frankly it was SO dense, sweet & sickly, it would have been a trial to have eaten a larger portion. I am positive had any of these courses been served up on Masterchef, Mat would have been given his marching orders. I refrained from writing this review until I had experienced another Travelzoo tasting Menu offer at The Queens's Arms, Corton Denham, the following week as I wanted to make a comparison. Trust me reader, there was none, & the fact that that meal was 100% perfect means that I have had to be brutally honest about The Wild Garlic.I hope you take it on the chin Mat !!

• 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Damfussy
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Very Good although not perfect”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

We came here on the off chance after a long drive from the Midlands to Burton Bradstock. Had heard many good things about it so were delighted when we were able to grab the last table. The restaurant is nicely decorated and felt warm and cosey although the tables were a little close together and we felt a little bit like were in the way as our table was directly by the gangway to the kitchen and bar area.

We opted for the taster menu which was given to us at a very reasonable price of £35. The pesto popcorn as a pre starter was gorgeous, will definately be trying this at home. The ham hock terrine with the apple puree was pleasant with a good balance of flavours. The cheese and pickles divided the table. I loved it, the other half did not. The parsnip veloute was intriguing and really quite a stunning dish but in oppostion to the other courses where i could have quite happily eaten more there was too much of it and by the end it became very sickly. The pork belly was perfection, absolutely wonderful and the desert was similarly fantastic. So for me in terms of the food. 3 great courses. one good and a veloute that tasted great but only for the first few spoonfuls.

The service was pleasant and attentive although a little bit hesitant. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I felt as though they were being very cautious and this didn't put me at ease. Too timid and not enough natural charm and flair.

All in all some great food and good service in a pleasant setting. They are closing and moving to bigger premises so hopefully this will give them more scope to develop. The style of service does need to be more confident/theatrical I think to reflect the food. maybe try and employ some out of work performers!

• 5 of 5 bubbles