“Relaxing, incredible food, great service”
Review of Bridge House Hotel

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Beaminster
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My partner and I wanted a special place to stay for his 60th birthday weekend. We wanted somewhere that felt special but not a country house hotel. We also wanted somewhere near beautiful countryside where we could spend time on long walks. Bridge House was just right. I'm going to mention a couple of minor things later in this review which weren't quite right for me but I don't want in any way to detract from the fact that this hotel is gorgeous. I recommend it 100%. The food is fantastic - delicious and locally sourced - a blackboard even lists the suppliers! We sat outside for dinner the first night which was lovely and then the second night we were in the main restaurant which was even better. Breakfast was lovely too. Beautifully cooked eggs! The lounge is very cosy and a nice place to enjoy a drink before dinner. Our room had a four-poster bed and excellent quality bed linen. So - what could have been better? I did say they were minor things - but for a restaurant with such beautiful wines to enjoy I thought the wine glasses were a bit small and not the best quality. Our room was lovely and full of character but it was at the top of the small staircase - and reception is at the bottom - so we were disturbed at times by the phone and the chatter at the desk. Finally, it was my partner's 60th birthday, we mentioned this at the time we booked so I was hoping the hotel remembered and would offer him a celebration drink or something. But anyway - I bought us a bottle of Prosecco which was delicious and perfectly chilled so it was fine. The staff are really friendly and the service was impeccable. So if you like seriously good food and want somewhere relaxing yet really special, Bridge House is for you.

1  Thank GTA2013

Reviewed 3 August 2014

My brother and I had a four night stay - dinner, bed and breakfast in July. The food, service and room were first rate. All the staff were natural, helpful and friendly to a fault. The 'acid' test when experiencing a new hotel is 'would we return' Yes we would!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Wonderful, attentive, welcoming staff, delicious superb food and a thoughtful well stocked bar. We stepped in off the street on impulse, not having booked ahead and although the hotel had a private party that night, we were made extremely welcome, never rushed, and treated, as every other patron was, with excellent warm, friendly service. Gluten free was easily accomodated.We dined, at our leisure and couldn't resist buying the "Relish, South West" foodie book on display, in which this hotel rightly features. Thank you Bridge House, we will return.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. All our meals were absolutely fantastic and it was lovely to eat on the terrace in such a relaxed atmosphere. There is plenty to do in the area. We spent much of the weekend cycling around the beautiful Dorset countryside which was right on the doorstep.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

First visit having been recommended by someone........absolutely fabulous we had a wonderful time and there is lots to do and see in the area....Sherborne is a must visit.......didn't want to leave and will certainly not stay anywhere else now we have found this....

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
BridgeHouseHotel, Owner at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2014

Dear Tricia 104,
Wonderful to receive your comments. Many of our customers are pleasantly surprised to discover how much there is to see and do in West Dorset. Glad you found the same. The warmest of welcomes awaits whenever you choose to stay again.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night in July 2014. Set in the pretty village of Beaminster, the main hotel is welcoming and cosy. Unfortunately our room was in the coach house in a separate building at the back of the hotel. The room was damp and the walls were thin with no soundproofing so that every sound could be heard from the neighboring rooms. Although our room was not up to scratch the rest of the hotel and gardens were pleasant and we enjoyed a nice breakfast before we left. If you're thinking of staying here then ask for a room in the main hotel and avoid the coach house.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms in the coach house at the back of the hotel
2  Thank J M
BridgeHouseHotel, Owner at Bridge House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear J M,
I am sorry you were not entirely happy with your room. I am not aware that you gave us the chance to rectify with maybe a move to another bedroom, something we would happily offer if we are able to. I am concerned that you were not made aware that the CoachHouse is a separate building just a few metres from the main building. It is a converted coach house and as such the fabric of the building is a mixture with outside walls at least a foot thick. I am also concerned that you thought the room was damp, something I will obviously explore and thank you for bringing to my attention.
I am pleased to hear that you consider the hotel is welcoming and cosy and that you enjoyed breakfast too.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This was a repeat visit to the hotel. As before, the staff were friendly & efficient. Our dog was made welcome & allowed on the terrace during afternoon tea.
We enjoyed both breakfast & dinner on the terrace during the warm weather & dinner in particular was delicious & memorable.
The public areas were easily accessible from our downstairs bedroom & the provision of a non-slip mat & grab rails in the shower were very useful.

1  Thank ghv2014

Dear ghv2014,
Thank you for your review and comments. Alfresco dining on the terrace comes into its own in this beautiful weather. I am delighted to hear we met all your needs and look forward to welcoming you again.
Mark Donovan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beaminster
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rousdon
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
The Ilchester Arms Hotel
#2 of 4 in Abbotsbury

Been to Bridge House Hotel? Share your experiences!