“A homely country pub”

The Marquis of Lorne Inn Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 150 Restaurants in Bridport
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Tracey & Steve Brady would love to welcome you to The Marquis of Lorne, a 16th Century Country Pub & Inn, nestled in the beautiful hills of Nettlecombe, Dorset. We have featured in guides such as; AA Top 500 Places to Stay, Cask Marque Award of Excellence for Real Ale, CAMRA. The Real Ale Pub Guide, The Good Pub Guide, The Good Beer Guide & the AA Good Pub Guide, we're sure that you'll enjoy your stay with us, whether it be for a holiday, short break, a meal in our restaurant or just a quick pint! We have 7, en-suite non-smoking rooms, offering double, twin & single occupancy, with the option of extra beds to accommodate families. Our child friendly, double award winning garden is open all year round. Our fine restaurant offers freshly cooked, locally sourced lunches & dinners.
Reviewed 17 May 2018

Some will think I am a bit sad because today I am enthusing over what I think was the best ham, egg and chips I have ever had. I am excited about HAM, EGG and CHIPS? You may think that is sad but these days when life is so complicated I find pleasure in simple things like ham, egg and chips. Nothing complex, nothing exotic, nothing fancy just good old fashioned ham, egg and chips. Where did I encounter this wonder dish? At the Marquis of Lorne in Nettlecombe, a few miles in land from Bridport.

The Marquis is set in a lovely location on a hillside overlooking the rolling west Dorset hills, a truly delightful situation. Once you find it the first thing you notice is the beautiful little garden and the children's playground, not full of gaudy plastic swings but a well made, timber framed assault course that I would have loved to have a go at when I was young enough! Inside it has all the required Orchard features of a Dorset village pub. The mishmash of tables and chairs, the old local photographs of the village and the countryside, the homely feel and the warm welcome. The Marquis has all of these in good measure.

So back to the food and that ham, egg and chips. I decided on that after some deliberation as there were at least five options I was tempted by. It is a wide ranging menu with cottage pie and fish and chips at one end of the spectrum to belly pork and half shoulder of lamb at h the other. Although we don't do it these days there is also a good range of starters and deserts. If the ham, egg and chips is a bit special then I am sure the quality of the other meals is pretty good as well.

The downsides? Probably finding it! We chanced upon it driving around after a walk at Kingcombe some five miles away and I am not sure I could find it again; well, maybe with the sat nav now I could.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank Peter O

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

I came for dinner at the weekend with my wife, we had a lovely day out and thought a lovely evening meal would end the day perfect - well wish we never bothered and just stuck to the day out or gone somewhere other then this place. The food was over cooked and reheated by the look of it and the taste of it side salad looked like it has been out of the fridge awhile and put together before hand - defiantly not fresh. I feel the meal and two glasses of wine was far too expensive for what we got. Will be going to other places in the future.

Date of visit: April 2018
4  Thank MartinAWhite
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

On a recommendation by a friend we visited for lunch and what a gem, a friendly pub and the food was excellent, so glad we went. We shall go back.

Date of visit: April 2018
2  Thank ChrisBeeee
Reviewed 23 March 2018

We ate here twice while staying nearby. Recommended by the locals, and not surprisingly! We had two dogs, who were welcomed (they quietly lay under the bench all evening). The staff welcomed us (!) and we enjoyed the open fire and some very fine meals. Some unusual options for a change. Portions were generous and, alas, we didn't make the puddings. Recommended for pub meals in a small and (dog)friendly inn.
PS If you arrive in muddy walking boots, be prepared to take them off in the hall.

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank Jonathan A
Reviewed 13 February 2018

We enjoyed a fabulous meal on 27th January 2018 to celebrate our daughters 15th birthday. The landlady was very welcoming and there was a birthday card waiting on the table. The food was of an extremely high standard and all the plates were empty - what more can you say! The choice of desserts made making a decision tricky and I mean this in a good way, however, we were not disappointed. Highly recommended

Date of visit: January 2018