“Loved it”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Bridport
London, United Kingdom
“Loved it”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My friends recommended me this hotel but having read some of the last reviews on this site I did hesitate before booking. however just had 3 days there with my friend on a perfect August staycation and we really really can not fault this hotel and so glad our friends recommended it to us. Yes the rooms are hot but what hotel room isn´t? Even with air con you´re either too hot or too cold! We stayed in The flowers suite which was gorgeous and has a ceiling fan and a small table fan both of which really helped, especially as we chose 3 great Aug days to visit. I don´t really see what more could be done to make our stay more comfortable. Lovely reception, lively busy place, delish food, lovely French waiter, great town, too many cocktails in secret brown bar at the back of the hotel. I will definately back with my husband and children next time. Oh and the hotel is also helping me to buy a mattress the same as in the hotel it was so so comfortable. I definately recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
London
Reviewed 11 August 2011

The food and drinks menu is fab and the staff very friendly and competent.
The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated with great meals yard products in the bathroom.
However if you're after some r&r stay in a hotel. This is a working pub right on the main high street and is an old building. Once the punters stopped being noisy the residents in the room above us woke us becuase of very creaky floorboards and slamming doors. The room was very hot and stuffy but we couldn't open the window as the road noise was intolerable. We had ear plugs in but were both awoken by other guests very early.
The dinner and breakfast were both excellent though a few bits of cutlery were smeared and my toast plate was a bit dirty. Also I asked for brown toast but got a mixture. Could only eat the white as they'd burned the edges of the brown quite badly. Eggs were v good though.
Great stay if you want a destination restaurant in close proximity to the Dorset coastline but don't expect a good sleep.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank tan0rexic
Oxford
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Came to this lovely place with high hopes. The bedroom was fantastic and the receptionist was really welcoming. Sadly it went down hill from then on. We never saw the same member of staff twice which made us feel like a factory componoant not a guest. I think it is important to always feel welcome and have continuity. After a delicious evening meal but at a table with dead flowers which were not removed for our breakfast (each course and wine served by different waiters) we went to our room which was very hot and got upto 29 degrees at 3am - there was a small fan to aid the cooling but it was useless. When I mentioned this at check out I was told that it was just hot and no apologies. Such a shame as the place was very lovely and I would have enjoyed a return visit

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Went for mini break here hoping for a relaxing boutique hotel that would provide me with a sense of luxury. Sadly it turned out to be very different. The room was stunning but turned into a hit oven that became unbearable to sleep in. When we complained the reception just said it was a hot night. The staff from house cleaning said it was like it all the time but no one in management would do a thing. The food was delicious but never got served by same waiter thru out so no sense of customer service. Tables had not been wiped down from night before and sticky chairs. As a florist by profession the saddest thing was to be presented with dead flowers in the tables at dinner and the following morning. Really just lift the vase away than make me sit and look at crispy dead flowers.

• Stayed July 2011

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sallyberlynworces
Bransgore, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Visited The Bull last night with a few friends and had a wonderful drive there through beautiful English countryside from the New Forest for a very enjoyable evening. Had a good wander round in order to see all the different aspects of this Hotel and loved the Stable block with a great atmosphere for a quick Pizza. There is also a quirky courtyard where we enjoyed a glass of champagne before having a really good dinner in the restaurant. We all agreed that our starters were excellent and much enjoyed with a good glass of wine (sadly not by the driver). Our mains were also good and could not manage pudding. Had a good drive home with the most amazing sun set. Would love to go back soon.

Room Tip: Did not stay just eat at the Hotel
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 21 July 2011

I was led (or rather misled) to this hotel through an article about Dorset in the travel section of an eminent newspaper, whose author I now doubt has ever stayed in this hotel. Described as ultra hip boutique hotel close to Lyme regis with Philippe Starck lampshades and Frette linen and a chef from the Marco-Pierre White stable, this was meant to be our base on our trip to visit Lyme Regis. OK, it had the linen. Apart from that, it was a pub with a few rooms on top, ours being the front room on the first floor facing a main road. What was allegedly antiques sourced from flea markets in Paris seemed like old jumble, more shabby than chic, the radiator was leaking, the shower was in desperate need of a refurb or at least a thorough clean. The staff were friendly enough and breakfast was ok, however nothing at all justified the £175 pricetag.

Lyme Regis, our actual destination on this trip, was 11 miles away, rather than the short cab ride I was led to believe. Lyme Regis itself has a beautiful hotel, the Alexandra, with the most amazing location and view and rates below that of the Bull. Why the newspaper article that fooled me didn't mention the Alexandra is beyond me.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bridport
Haddon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beaminster
Fernhill Hotel
Fernhill Hotel
#2 of 2 in Charmouth

Been to The Bull Hotel? Share your experiences!