We really enjoyed our two night stay at Newlands although there are a couple of things that could have been improved!
When booking our stay in the Motel facility I really wasn't sure what to expect as there was minimal information on the website about the rooms, and there were no photographs of them either there or on trip advisor! At a cost of only £65 per night self catering, I was expecting a dull and dreary, grubby room. However upon arrival I was pleasantly surprised. It was light and airy and clean. The double bed was comfortable and our room had stunning views over the Dorset countryside.
We also had a television, en suite bathroom and kitchenette.
The kitchen was well stocked with a kettle, microwave, fridge freezer and toaster, and after peering in the cupboard I was impressed to find a portable hob and a mini oven. Perfect for a short stay and the shop below was very well stocked with items that could be cooked with these utensils. Glasses and cutlery were available as well.
The bathroom was clean but there was room for some improvements here. The toilet seat was broken and so you slid somewhat precariously when you sat down! The shower was very poor. The water pressure was fabulous...... If you like your shower scolding hot. However if you wanted the temperature a little more tolerable or even cooler in 30c heat.... Forget it. The pressure turned into nothing more than a light drizzle. I considered walking to the camping field's shower block to see what the showers there were like. Also, when we arrived my boyfriend had to use a tissue to pull out a wad of other people's hair from the plug hole in the shower basin! Disgusting!
The outdoor pool and slide looked fun and it was very popular. We thought it was a lovely feature even though we didn't use it. The bar area was good and we thought the 'no children in front of the bar past 9pm' was good and thought we would sit here to be away from children for a while, only to find that it wasn't enforced. The arcade area is good if used properly, however some parents seem to find it acceptable to let their children go wild in there. Several times we saw young children shaking and banging them and misusing them. But where were the parents? The other side of the room none the wiser. Shame really as it spoils the experience for everyone else.
The entertainment for children was great with Dino Dan and games, plus a disco and not here was a soft play area (indoor) as well.
The food from the bar was poor. I had a veggie burger and chips. It was quite clearly the cheapest type of burger that they could find as it tasted of absolutely nothing. The chips were cheap as well and not very tasty. The peas I think were out of a tin. And their idea of a 'salad garnish' was a few lettuce leaves drizzled in... Water? Watered down dressing? I'm not sure! Not really the lettuce-tomato-cucumber-onion combo I had in mind. All this for £10 not including a drink! Absolute rip off considering the quality. McDonald's provide better quality meals at half the price!
I would recommend walking into Charmouth village instead of dining at Newlands. There you will find a chip shop, small italian restaurant and a cafe. We drove into Lyme Regis on our second night and enjoyed a delicious curry at Lal Qilla.
Overall we enjoyed our stay but I think there is room for some improvement, namely the Motel ensuite facilities and the food provided in the bar area. Great for families and lots to do for children.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Newlands is a family run park located in the picturesque World Heritage village of Charmouth, just a stones throw from the fossil rich Jurassic Coast near the Dorset/Devon border. Set in 23 acres of landscaped grounds, the park offers a range of luxury accommodation and modern facilities for tents and tourers. With a host of local attractions for families and couples, you'll find our five star holiday park the perfect place to spend some quality time whatever the season. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Newlands Holidays reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Newlands Holiday Park Hotel Charmouth
- Newlands Holidays Charmouth, Dorset