“Walking weekend”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charmouth
The White House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Charmouth B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A fantastic weekend spent at the White House. We stayed in room 7 but whilst small the bed was comfortable and we had everything we needed. The welcome from Liz and Ian was excellent - coffee whilst we waited for friends. Nothing was too much and when we returned from dinner, Liz provided coffee and drinks.
Breakfast was wonderful and was just the way to start a second day of walking home cooked with as much coffee and toast as we wanted. Finish that off with parking, walking distance from the beach and two pubs, we had everything we needed.
Our first choice when we are walking in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for your kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us.We can't always guarantee the glorious weather, but the welcome will be the same next time you are back this way

Reviewed 4 May 2012

I had single occupancy for one night so couldn't expect, and did not want, the best room. I had room 7 on the ground floor near reception and the entrance. The room is not large (not in itself an issue) but suffers from (I assume) the en suite having been added within the original room space. You cannot walk around the bed if the en suite door is open.
Tea and coffee in the room - two cups, one saucer. Not a problem for me alone but poor attention to detail. The coffee - Nescafe. Not impressed. There are many real coffee bags available these days.
The kettle is standard size but the handbasin is a small corner one so you cannot easily fill the kettle. Given that you can only half fill the kettle it would be more sensible to have a smaller or more squat kettle.
Double power socket on the wall with two plugs in it. I took one out to use the socket to charge my iPhone and one of the bedside lights went out. I would have both lights connected to one socket to leave the other free for guest use.
The shower - an impressive looking Grohe one with body jets and shower head. I simply could not get the body jets to work. Not a problem as I used the plain shower but frustrating.
The en suite - absolutely no flat surface anywhere to put your own toiletries except perhaps inside the corner cupboard above the corner handbasin. Similarly nowhere to put your soaps and flannels in the shower. I ended up having my wash bag on the end of the bed which is close to the en suite and hanging my flannels over the top of the shower surround when I had a shower.
While I was out that evening I rang to confirm there was wifi and asked for the password to be slipped under by room door. I was told the password was in the guest information pack. I said I hadn't seen one and they said they would put one in the room. When I returned it still was not there - I had to ask again.
The breakfast, I must say, was excellent. I particularly liked the scrambled goose egg and smoked salmon.
Generally I look for well-rated B&Bs. The previous night I stayed in a B&B in Sparkford where I had better accommodation (including my own kitchen and lounge with TV!) with none of the issues I list here, cafetière of coffee and home baked biscuits on arrival and equally excellent breakfast for only £40 single occupancy for one night. My one night in the White House cost me £70.
The owners Ian and Elizabeth were charming. I see they reply to virtually all reviews on TripAdvisor. I hope they take my comments as constructive criticism. Much of what I noted can be rectified.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank exfordy
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

We are a little disappointed at the tone of this review and the fact that none of these issues were mentioned during his stay or during the conversation we had at checkout. Of course we should have been on top of some, such as the wrong number of cups in the room and the kettle size for which we apologise and those comments have been taken on board.

When the gentleman rang to request the password for the WIFI, my wife went immediately to his room to help but there was no answer. We were unawareat that time that he had gone out and was ringing from elsewhere. As soon as he returned he was shown the password in the room folder. It seems somewhat churlish to make such a big issue of this.
One of the four other sockets in the room could have been used for the charger instead of unplugging a bedside light.
We feel there is ample room in the bathroom cabinet and the cupboard below the sink to place all you toiletries.
The shower can be a little confusing to work but it worked fine when I tried it.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast though.
We are unable to offer B&B at the rate of £40, which was I would assume a spare bedroom in a private house offering accomodation that does not have all the running costs and facilities of a hotel with a restaurant.
We would ask people to see our other reviews which we think give a far more accurate reflection of the service and standard we are proud to provide here at The White House.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We found The White House for a last minute weekend break and were lucky that they had a room available. The bedroom was very comfortable and the bedding top quality white cotton. Liz was very welcoming on check in and the food Ian produced was first class. Locally sourced produce including scrambled goose eggs for breakfast and superb bacon. The dinner was excellent - all the dishes beautifully served and perfectly seasoned. We were particularly impressed with the venison carpaccio which (Ian had made himself - not bought in), and the cardamom brulee with rhubarb compote was a delight. It was a very memorable weekend and we will be back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us this weekend. I will be making a video tutorial on our Facebook page in the next week or so showing you how to make the Venison Carpaccio if you fancy having a go yourself.........
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were welcomed by Ian and Liz after a cancelled flight fiasco. We booked late Friday afternoon and arrived at 7.30pm. The room was lovely, very cosy and with a comfortable bed. Ian and Liz are charming hosts, and he immediately set about and cooked a beautiful meal for us, so I recommend his risotto..it was to die for. All the staff were very friendly and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. We wanted Steak for dinner on the Saturday night..not on the menu?? no trouble it was arranged and lovely. There is a fridge with fresh milk on the first floor which also operates an honesty bar for beer. Great when you wish to relax in the room. Breakfast was perfect...really good sausages and everything served the way you want it. This is a hotel to get away from the world and relax in. Great food..good wine..great hosts...comfortable bed and good shower..my idea of heaven.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

We were pleased we were able to help salvage your weekend away after your Channel Island plans were unexpectedly curtailed and are of course delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

This delightful hotel tucked away in Charmouth is a real treat. Not only is the hotel itself charming but the food is delicious and all locally sourced - (their most recent Gold award is well deserved!) I found it a really relaxing retreat from the city and the hospitality of the owners made it a memorable experience.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ALMK-London
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2012

Thank you very much for your review.We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and that we will see you again when the weather is a little kinder!!

Reviewed 23 December 2011

My husbandand I spent a wonderful evening at the restaurant at the White House during October half term. I can honestly say that it was one of the very best meals we have eaten for a long, long time. The food was beautifully prepared, expertly cooked with lovely presentation. The staff were most welcoming and Ian had a long chat with us at the end of the evening. I can totally recommend the White House for a memorable dining expereince. I'm only sorry that it's such a long way away from us, otherwise I'd be there on a regular basis! We'll will definitely revisit if we're on holiday in teh area again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Hello Owensmum and thanks for your lovely comments.We hope to see you back down in Dorset soon

ian

Reviewed 13 December 2011

......we stayed for 2 nights recently and thoroughly enjoyed our time at the White House. Beautiful room, wonderful breakfast and fantastic hospitality. For anyone wanting a lovely break in the area, I would highly recommend the White House hotel for a truly wonderful, relaxing stay. We are just sorry we didn't get to try Ian's famous fare! Thank you so much!! Charlie & Olivia

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Olivia M
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2011

Thank you for the lovely review. We are so pleasedthat you enjoyed your weekend with us.
and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charmouth
Hensleigh House
#2 of 10 in Bridport
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 10 in Bridport

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!