“A good hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Charmouth
The White House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Charmouth B&B and Inns
london
“A good hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2012

After tiring journey from London we received a warm welcome from Ian and Sue. Dinner was preceded by drinks in the lounge with an opportunity to meet the other guests.
The food was all fresh and very well prepared by Ian. Plentiful portions with a good choice from the menu. All food sourced from local suppliers.
Bedrooms well appointed And very comfortable.
Shame it as only a weekend stay. Far more time is needed to explore this part of the Dorset coast and we will try and return.

• Stayed June 2012
, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 July 2012
Thank you Brian, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us . This is a beautiful area and well worth taking time to explore, we look forward to welcoming you back

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
Reviewed 9 June 2012

I took my partner here as a birthday treat and stayed one night in May.

This is a lovely accommodation - perfectly located for the coast and River Cottage. The rooms are basic but nicely decorated and comfortable.
I definitely recommend the full English breakfast - one of the best I ever had!

Room Tip: Note that in the summer months and Bank Holidays, the minimum stay is 2 nights.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pikachu72
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Thank you for your review and for choosing The White House for your River Cottage trip. We do pride ourselves on the ingredients we use for breakfasts, dry cured bacon and proper meaty sausages made on a local farm, excellent bread (hand cut not pre sliced supermarket rubbish) from Leakers Bakery in Bridport. Often the eggs are from our own chickens. We are delighted that you enjoyed it so much.

Like many small hotels we do ask for a minimum two night stay at weekends but occasionally have the odd room available for one night if bookings fall that way.do call us or check availability on our website.
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Our stay at The White House Hotel was a joy from start to finish - the owner and chef was a lovely host, and his cooking was top drawer - we loved our evening meal, and breakfast was excellent too - we had the scrambled goose egg and smoked salmon, and the local kippers, and both proved delicious.

Our room was at the front of the hotel, and had a view of the small paved courtyard at the front. We were charmed by 2 of the owners' cats - a friendly black and white who came up the tree outside our sash window to join us in the morning(!) and a lovely Siamese-type called Mog who adopted us in the evening. Well worth visiting the hotel just to make Mog's aquiantance!

Our room was well-decorated, the bed a joy to sink into, and the bathroom was modern with a good powerful shower.

The hotel's a short 5 minute walk from the beach, and though we didn't have much time to fossil-hunt, we did notice the hotel offers the free loan of a stone hammer for this purpose - a nice touch!

Highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. Mog and Wilf clearly made themselves know to you, they aren't really allowed in the hotel itself but occasionally outwit us and find a way in.Looks like I will have to prune the magnolia tree !
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2012

A fantastic weekend spent at the White House. We stayed in room 7 but whilst small the bed was comfortable and we had everything we needed. The welcome from Liz and Ian was excellent - coffee whilst we waited for friends. Nothing was too much and when we returned from dinner, Liz provided coffee and drinks.
Breakfast was wonderful and was just the way to start a second day of walking home cooked with as much coffee and toast as we wanted. Finish that off with parking, walking distance from the beach and two pubs, we had everything we needed.
Our first choice when we are walking in the area again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for your kind words, we are delighted that you enjoyed your short stay with us.We can't always guarantee the glorious weather, but the welcome will be the same next time you are back this way

Hockley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 May 2012

I had single occupancy for one night so couldn't expect, and did not want, the best room. I had room 7 on the ground floor near reception and the entrance. The room is not large (not in itself an issue) but suffers from (I assume) the en suite having been added within the original room space. You cannot walk around the bed if the en suite door is open.
Tea and coffee in the room - two cups, one saucer. Not a problem for me alone but poor attention to detail. The coffee - Nescafe. Not impressed. There are many real coffee bags available these days.
The kettle is standard size but the handbasin is a small corner one so you cannot easily fill the kettle. Given that you can only half fill the kettle it would be more sensible to have a smaller or more squat kettle.
Double power socket on the wall with two plugs in it. I took one out to use the socket to charge my iPhone and one of the bedside lights went out. I would have both lights connected to one socket to leave the other free for guest use.
The shower - an impressive looking Grohe one with body jets and shower head. I simply could not get the body jets to work. Not a problem as I used the plain shower but frustrating.
The en suite - absolutely no flat surface anywhere to put your own toiletries except perhaps inside the corner cupboard above the corner handbasin. Similarly nowhere to put your soaps and flannels in the shower. I ended up having my wash bag on the end of the bed which is close to the en suite and hanging my flannels over the top of the shower surround when I had a shower.
While I was out that evening I rang to confirm there was wifi and asked for the password to be slipped under by room door. I was told the password was in the guest information pack. I said I hadn't seen one and they said they would put one in the room. When I returned it still was not there - I had to ask again.
The breakfast, I must say, was excellent. I particularly liked the scrambled goose egg and smoked salmon.
Generally I look for well-rated B&Bs. The previous night I stayed in a B&B in Sparkford where I had better accommodation (including my own kitchen and lounge with TV!) with none of the issues I list here, cafetière of coffee and home baked biscuits on arrival and equally excellent breakfast for only £40 single occupancy for one night. My one night in the White House cost me £70.
The owners Ian and Elizabeth were charming. I see they reply to virtually all reviews on TripAdvisor. I hope they take my comments as constructive criticism. Much of what I noted can be rectified.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank exfordy
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2012
We are a little disappointed at the tone of this review and the fact that none of these issues were mentioned during his stay or during the conversation we had at checkout. Of course we should have been on top of some, such as the wrong number of cups in the room and the kettle size for which we apologise and those comments have been taken on board.

When the gentleman rang to request the password for the WIFI, my wife went immediately to his room to help but there was no answer. We were unawareat that time that he had gone out and was ringing from elsewhere. As soon as he returned he was shown the password in the room folder. It seems somewhat churlish to make such a big issue of this.
One of the four other sockets in the room could have been used for the charger instead of unplugging a bedside light.
We feel there is ample room in the bathroom cabinet and the cupboard below the sink to place all you toiletries.
The shower can be a little confusing to work but it worked fine when I tried it.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your breakfast though.
We are unable to offer B&B at the rate of £40, which was I would assume a spare bedroom in a private house offering accomodation that does not have all the running costs and facilities of a hotel with a restaurant.
We would ask people to see our other reviews which we think give a far more accurate reflection of the service and standard we are proud to provide here at The White House.
London
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We found The White House for a last minute weekend break and were lucky that they had a room available. The bedroom was very comfortable and the bedding top quality white cotton. Liz was very welcoming on check in and the food Ian produced was first class. Locally sourced produce including scrambled goose eggs for breakfast and superb bacon. The dinner was excellent - all the dishes beautifully served and perfectly seasoned. We were particularly impressed with the venison carpaccio which (Ian had made himself - not bought in), and the cardamom brulee with rhubarb compote was a delight. It was a very memorable weekend and we will be back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Thank you so much for your kind words and we are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us this weekend. I will be making a video tutorial on our Facebook page in the next week or so showing you how to make the Venison Carpaccio if you fancy having a go yourself.........
We look forward to welcoming you back.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We were welcomed by Ian and Liz after a cancelled flight fiasco. We booked late Friday afternoon and arrived at 7.30pm. The room was lovely, very cosy and with a comfortable bed. Ian and Liz are charming hosts, and he immediately set about and cooked a beautiful meal for us, so I recommend his risotto..it was to die for. All the staff were very friendly and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. We wanted Steak for dinner on the Saturday night..not on the menu?? no trouble it was arranged and lovely. There is a fridge with fresh milk on the first floor which also operates an honesty bar for beer. Great when you wish to relax in the room. Breakfast was perfect...really good sausages and everything served the way you want it. This is a hotel to get away from the world and relax in. Great food..good wine..great hosts...comfortable bed and good shower..my idea of heaven.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
ianCharmouth, Owner at The White House Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
We were pleased we were able to help salvage your weekend away after your Channel Island plans were unexpectedly curtailed and are of course delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.Thank you for your lovely review. We hope to see you again.

Ian and Liz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charmouth
Hensleigh House
Eype's Mouth Country Hotel
Haddon House Hotel
Haddon House Hotel
#1 of 10 in Bridport

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!