“Fab pub in a lovely village”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Clockhouse Inn

The Clockhouse Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Chideock
Price range: US$6 - US$26
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We have re-launched on 15th July 2016 following our fire. We look forward to welcoming you to our new look pub very soon and we would ask for your patience during our teething period. Michael and Helen Long, Eric and Barbara Arnold and all of the Clockhouse Team
Southport, United Kingdom
“Fab pub in a lovely village”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We were on holiday in Chideock staying in a self-catering cottage just up the road from this lovely pub. What a great pub. We called in for a couple of drinks every evening and got a really warm welcome on each visit. We ate there a few times and the food was good. Can certainly recommend the fish and chips which were really good. The good thing about their menu is that on most dishes there is a choice of small or large portion - great idea. Great pub, good food and all at a good price. Can't wait to visit again. Thanks Mike and your hard working team for some really good times in your lovely pub. Jools and Tom x

Visited July 2014
mike l, Owner at The Clockhouse Inn, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi Jools, Thank you very much for writing a review for us and thanks to you and Tom for your continued support during your holiday. When customers return night after night it really gives myself and the team a sense of satisfaction that we must be doing something right. We are all really pleased that you enjoyed what The Clock had to offer and we look forward to seeing you again in the future. Thanks again. Mike.

barrow upon soar
“Cask ale quality”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

I visited the Clock 22/06/14 at 4.45 I ordered a pint of Otter cask ale it when served it was to warm
I commented that it was too warm only to be told aggressively by the barman that cask ale is except able up to 17 degs when I said the ideal temperature of cask ale should be 12 - 14 deg.
The worst thing about this episode after ordering an alternate drink he tried to charge me for the
bad warm beer saying there is nothing wrong with it when in fact is was not fit for purpose after a short argument he threw my £10 note back on the bar and told us to get out.
The pub has lost at least £100 taking in a week from our thirsty party of 4 holidaymakers

4 Thank derekthegardener
mike l, Owner at The Clockhouse Inn, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hi Derek, having had a bad review situation back in April when we asked a group to leave due to their manner I have been waiting patiently for a review from yourself, especially after the email you sent to the business webpage. Unfortunately on this occasion I can think of no constructive reply so I have just used copy and paste on reply to your email below and I trust when people read a range of our reviews they will come to the conclusion that something does not add up, especially as in the 2 1/2 years we have been listed on trip advisor, we have never had a complaint regarding beer quality. Thanks. Mike.

It was myself that served you Derek and unfortunately I do not take kindly to someone coming into my house and telling me in an intoxicated and aggressive manner how to do my job / how to keep beer etc. Your comment " beer should be cellar temperature " would be accepted if we where sat in the cellar serving it, however, the run from the cellar to the bar varies from pub to pub with ours being around 2 pints per line. Therefore, with the ambient temperature at the moment being in the 80's the beer will not, in any establishment, be cellar temperature. Your pint was in fact 16.6 degrees and whilst I would like it to be nearer 13, with the current fantastic weather this is nearly impossible. If there is ever any problem with my beer, which I can confidently say is very very rare, then I have no problem in pouring another or swapping it. However on this occasion we had served around 50 pints during the lunchtime period, and we sell around 400 - 500 Otter Bitters weekly and have done so for the last 12 years to locals who drink it on a daily basis, and who would most definitely make me aware if it is not right, so I can not accept your complaint and the manner in which you tried to tell me my job. I trust you enjoy the rest of your stay in the village and enjoy the beers elsewhere.

Thanks.

Mike.
Harlow, United Kingdom
“FANTASTICO !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Myself and 23 friends visited the area and stayed close to this amazing pub.Well what can we say?we spent 2 evenings in this pub because it was so enjoyable,the staff were friendly,hard working and very professional,the owners Helen and Mickey were most welcoming and could not do enough for us.The food was out of this world and the portion sizes beat most of us,,WE WILL RETURN!

mike l, Owner at The Clockhouse Inn, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Hi Legsy, Thanks for taking some of your time to write a review for us. Myself and the team are all really grateful that you decided to spend a lot of your time ( and your money ) with us the other weekend on your trip to sunny Dorset. Until next time, cheers. Mike.
Taunton, United Kingdom
“Good service and great fish & chips!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Four of us called here last Friday night and 3 of us opted for the Fish & Chips. We had been told the portions are a 'local legend' , but we still weren't ready for the biggest and best cod we have tasted for a long time. The young staff we encountered were friendly and welcoming, and despite the pub and restaurant areas being busy our food and drink was served promptly. How fortunate the good folks of Chideock and visitors to the area have two such great pubs in the village! Will we be back ? -You bet we will! Why not 5star ? - Because I expect the option of local beer in a local pub, but there was nothing on offer from the local Palmers Brewery at Bridport.

mike l, Owner at The Clockhouse Inn, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Hi Kevin, Thank you very much for your kind and honest words, they really are much appreciated by myself and the team. I take on board your comment regarding Palmers beer but as a Freehouse we have the freedom of buying beers from wherever we wish, and, as we are completely surrounded by Palmers pubs we tend to stay away from their beers as locals and holiday makers alike come here for our different choices of not only Ale, but our Lagers and Ciders too. Also coming from a tenanted pub background myself, up in Hertfordshire, I feel they make far to much money out of their tenants with high rents, rates, beer prices etc that in my opinion they do not deserve the free trade business due to greed. I hope you managed to try some of our other local beers from Lyme Regis, Branscombe and Luppitt or some of our local Ciders from Chideock, Bridport and surrounding areas as we are very keen on supporting smaller local suppliers. Thanks again for your kind review and we look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Mike.
exeter
“Wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We have driven past this pub many times over the years, & on Saturday we had a trip out in Weston Bay & Bridport but couldn't find any nice places to eat so I said to my Mum & Sister we'll find a nice pub on the way back to Exeter, AND THATS WHAT WE FOUND!!! This place was lovely. Staff were very friendly & made us feel at home. The food was First class, huge portions which beat us!! There was nice selection of coffees (Irish, Russian coffees etc ) if only I wasn't driving I would have had one.
Would recommend this place, beats any high street chain hands downs
5 STAR

mike l, Owner at The Clockhouse Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2014
Thanks Marc for your kind words. We hear on a weekly basis from people who say they pass regularly but have not managed to stop for one reason or another, and in general they are all pleased when they finally do. Really glad you all enjoyed your visit and what we have to offer and we look forward to seeing you when you are next in the area. Thanks again. Mike.