“Beyond disappointing, just avoid.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of The Scott Arms

The Scott Arms
Ranked #6 of 12 Restaurants in Corfe Castle
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, View, Kids, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: A great pub in an amazing location. Food and drink delicious with a Caribbean BBQ all summer.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Beyond disappointing, just avoid.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

One of the worst meals out in a long time unfortunately. The pub was busy over the bank holiday weekend, however, that isn't an excuse for what we experienced.

We had a table booked for lunch, sat down, ordered drinks from the bar, followed by food a few minutes later. The food arrived over an hour after it was ordered. It also arrived in dribs and drabs. Half of the group were served theirs, while the other half waited another 10-15minutes until theirs arrived. All of the meals, without exception were lukewarm - one was so cold it was sent back. As we'd had to wait so long in the first place, nobody else could be bothered to send it back and wait even longer. Fish was ok, but not hot, chips were the worst I've eaten, cold, chewy, tasteless and really hard work to eat, and the mushy peas were stone cold. The same can be said for the burgers and sausages. A significant amount of food was left on each plate, not once did any of the staff think to ask how the meal was.

The staff seemed stretched beyond breaking point. Nobody came to the table with cutlery, we got that ourselves (as we did with menus as well), nor did they bring any sauces to the table, or ask how the food was. The only reason they came to clear the table away afterwards is because we'd gone to the bar to complain/pay and they knew we had finished. I know other tables were waiting in excess of 1 hr 30 for their food. It's not a cheap place to eat, the mains were £12+ a head, so I'd expect at the very least half decent service.

When paying, the manager (I presume) at the bar apologised for the meal (only after I told him how disappointing it was, not because he asked, or even seemed interested as to what we thought). He offered a 20% discount, which I accepted, because I'd got close to losing the will to live. I still don't think that was a satisfactory resolution. I was told they had a new chef, which is fine, but it's absolutely no excuse for the completely poor service. On a bank holiday weekend, when you're almost guaranteed to be busy, you need to be prepared.

Plus points? There's a nice view, and they allow dogs.

• Visited May 2014
3 Thank socal_soul
DorsetFoodandWine, Owner at The Scott Arms, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear socal_soul

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, however painful it is for me to read.

As with the review below we had some difficult circumstance to deal with before the bank holiday, both staffing with a new chef at very short notice and a young team not yet up to speed, and structural with a major power fault that lost 24 hours and a drainage issue that diverted valuable staff at a crucial time. Our preparation was not right for such a busy weekend. So please accept my apologies for the your disappointing experience at the Scott Arms and my reassurances that we read and digest all our feed back, both positive and negative and try to learn and improve.

Many people had a great time over the weekend and accept the bank holiday wait; however I always expect the food to be of a good standard when it does arrive. Your food was obviously a disappointment, our new chef was struggling with the fryers and the sheer volume of fish and chips being ordered, and mistakes were made.

I hope you will visit again as this was not a normal service at the Scott Arms, maybe not on a bank holiday, and if so please make yourself known to myself or my brother Ian so we can apologise in person.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Bank Holiday visit - pre-booked table”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Called in advance to book a table at 1.00pm for a family of four. It was with a somewhat heavy heart that I once again stepped over the threshold of this establishment as my previous 3 encounters had been less than satisfactory but I hoped that this time it would be better (well, you go with what the majority want, don't you?).
Long wait at the bar and only one person serving. A couple of other staff milling about with no appreciation of taking action to address waiting customers. Ordered starters and main courses and paid up front (thought I'd be clever here as did not want to go back to the bar to settle up and wait another 20 minutes at the end of the meal). Starters arrived after 20 minutes (2 x Prawn Cocktail which were okay and one sorry looking charcuterie starter which had minimal slices of charcuterie). Having waited over an hour for 4 haddock and chips and despite a prior prompt by us stating that we had still not been served our mains, we decided to cut our losses and demanded a refund for the main courses. After a further 10 minute wait at the bar and becoming more incandescent with the futility of the staff's ability to serve customers properly, we were eventually given a refund for the 4 main courses with no apology.
The pub was not busy as many tables were vacant.
Problems as far as I can see are - lack of staff, lack of anything in what could properly be called "service", - this is not, it seems an isolated occurrence, as my three previous visits were very similar in experience. The Jokers running this establishment ought to be ashamed. Abandon hope all ye who enter into the Scotts Arms for any chance of a pleasurable experience.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank rsjbhagon
Dear rsjbhagon

I was very disappointed to read your review and would like to apologise for your dismal experience on the bank holiday weekend and offer some explanation as to what was not a normal day at the Scott Arms.

We had some bad news before the weekend as our main chef had to step down suddenly due to ill health brought on by his diabetes. He is an excellent chef and we hope he can return once his condition improves. So we had a new chef who arrived on the Friday and 2 hours into his hand over we had a power cut (hence the big hole in our car park that weekend) and lost 24 hours of preparation. Not ideal before a bank holiday.

This combined with the usual bank holiday mayhem as the herd instinct kicks in and Purbeck is inundated with visitors for the day left us unprepared to deal with the numbers. We serve around 20 - 30 people on an normal Monday, 200 - 300 on a bank holiday and it is very difficult to cope with that increase. So though there may be a few table free inside we have 200 people outside who have ordered food. As we aim for freshly cooked food there will be a wait.

Our new young new team are training for the summer season and however much they mean well it is difficult to gain that experience in a few weeks. You may not have noticed but the ladies toilets blocked, it is an old pub and struggles to cope with the numbers, so my brother had to deal with that and left the inexperienced staff to cope just at the peak time and obviously standards slipped under the pressure.

Over the weekend we served many hundreds of people and the vast majority had a great time. In the 5 years that we have been here we have almost doubled our turnover, vastly increased the number of people we employ and support as many local producers and suppliers as we can. So we must be doing something right. However not all the time and we knew that some tables did not enjoy themselves and we could have done better in the right conditions. We offer our sincere apologies when things go wrong, are happy to refund and would love people to come back, maybe not on a bank holiday weekend, to have a true Scott Arms experience.

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic view .. Not great staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

View is amazing from garden which is good size of corfe castle and surrounding hills .. Inside of pub was nice too ... We visited at about 17.00 and had couple of drinks waited till 18.00 to order food which was also average :( everytime at bar there was massive wait despite not that busy ... No tables cleared you had to move empty glasses onto next table to sit for someone else to move a growing collection when they wanted to sit ... Service was not great and it seemed we where there at end of day shift .. And when the night staff started things did seem to improve and glasses where taken and place was more sorted ... I hate doing negative reviews as I feel bit guilty but this place was average but could so easily have just been an off day

London, United Kingdom
“Good Friday let down”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

In reply to the managements response to our poor service and incorrect information regarding food availability so you not think we could expect a meal for two on the house?

1 Thank IanandSteve
DorsetFoodandWine, Owner at The Scott Arms, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Dear IanandSteve

TripAdvisor is a great way for customers to review their experiences. However for any further discussions please contact us direct.

Billericay, United Kingdom
“a huge disappointment. non existent service.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The food was ok to be fair and reasonable value but the service was truly awful and not just for my wife and I, the people on the other tables were having a time of it too. there was a long and boring list of mistakes and cock ups like screwed up bookings and mistaken orders and so on. people make mistakes but what is inexcusable is the terrible attitude of the waiting staff who treated us and the other tables with thinly veiled contempt. it was that bad i wondered if i was something i was doing or saying! - until i noticed the other customers quieting fuming at their tables too. it was that bad i was actually embarrassed for the owner - it did feel a bit like the manager was away so the kids were playing up.

there was a table of locals in our room and the waitress was all over them, so as per a previous review perhaps there is some truth to the local v. tourist thing. certainly the other recipients of the bad service i witnessed were not local (we discussed it outside)

never again. we booked several weeks ago, because they allow dogs in i recommend you choose somewhere else, there are plenty of dog friendly places in the area

1 Thank porter_jamie