“Lovely afternoon tea”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 July 2012

I am familiar with this hotel as I have visited Corfe many times and have always stopped in the garden for tea. Had to sit indoors this visit as it was a bit damp and miserable so we cheered ourselves up with a champagne cream tea. Although the scones are a little small, they were fresh, warm and delicious. The staff were friendly and attentive and all around us the food other customers were eating looked and smelled lovely. My friend and I both commented on something that we found pleasantly odd - the crockery used at the hotel seemed to ensure our tea remained piping hot - either their choice of tableware is better than we are used to (and we do like a cream tea!) or they have managed to find a way to super-boil their water, either way the pot was lovely and hot till the end which enabled us to enjoy our glass on bubbly too. OK - it's a bit pricey for an afternoon tea but we had just arrived and wanted to treat ourselves and I wanted my friend, who was on her first visit to Corfe, to enjoy her stay in the area. The hotel appears to be welcoming and cosy - I would like to stay there one day, plus the restaurant did have a very tempting menu so may suit if you were there for a special occasion and they did not appear to me to be overly priced for a hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2012

Loung menu - low key, reasonable prices but excellent food and superb service

Reviewed 20 June 2012

We ate in both the restaurants at Mortons House. We had purchased a dinner, bed and breakfast option. As we stayed in the hotel for two nights we tried both the restaurants - one is more upmarket; the other more pub-style. Food was well presented and apart from the soup which our friends had in the restaurant (they found it too salty) we were very happy with both the quality and quantity of food. Breakfast was a buffet with a range of options and then a menu of cooked options was provided. All four of us were happy with the food we chose.

Reviewed 26 May 2012

I booked the restaurant for 15 people for my husbands birthday, and was very pleased. We were sent the menu before hand to choose our courses. With such a large group it is not always easy to please everyone, but the manager was helpful with suggestion for those who did not want dishes from the set menu. Everyone thought the food was delicious. The home made bread was particularly good. We were given a lovely room on our own, which made it special, and the staff were friendly and attentive but unobtrusive. I would definately recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

My boyfriend and I have been visiting Corfe Castle, Wareham and the surrounding area since we were kids and I have often wondered what Morton House was liking when wandering around Corfe village or driving past, so we thought it would be a great place to have our special first anniversary meal.
I'm not usually one for writing reviews on websites, but our dining experience was so good that I wanted to share :o) The food was fabulous and the staff were extremely helpful, knowledgeable and accommodating. I am a vegetarian but couldn't eat the veggie option on the menu - this usually means I end up with a 'nice' meal, whilst others I'm dining with have amazing food. But after explaining this to the waitress, not only was I NOT met with an exasperated look, but she immediately said she'd speak to the chef and see what he could do. I was then offered a wonderful alternative, but even felt I could have asked for even more options if I'd wanted them! They didn't make me feel like I was causing them trouble or putting them out in any way - which I have often felt in restaurants, and I'm not even a fussy vegetarian! My boyfriend was equally impressed as he likes his steak "blue" and got it exactly the way he asked!
As it was Bank holiday weekend, we were in the "smaller" dining room, which we actually preferred as it felt very intimate. I would like to say that all 3 waitresses that served us were lovely - very professional and friendly. They had a large table of quite obnoxious dinners in the same room and although they were given a tough time they never lost their professionalism - which must have been extremely hard as the other dinners were very rude and loud about it! The head waitress was, once again, extremely helpful to me when it came to advising on which of the extensive selection of cheeses on their cheese-cart were vegetarian. Overall, this was a lovely dining experience and I would highly recommend this restaurant - in fact I have already suggested it to family and friends who also like visiting Corfe. In addition, following the meal I really wanted to find one of the lovely cheeses I had tried for the first time and after having no luck I emailed the hotel to ask if they could help. Not only did I receive a reply within a very short period of time, but its was extremely helpful and the lady who replied (Amy) had even called the supplier for me to ask where I could get it from! Exceptional customer service! :o)

1  Thank Alexandra P