“Wonderful celebration weekend”

Mortons House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Corfe Castle
Reviewed 4 February 2013

I celebrated my 60th birthday at Mortons House Hotel over the last weekend in January. Our party used all the rooms of the hotel. I made a very quick preliminary visit in September, and loved the style of the hotel. It is very comfortable, a huge sitting room with a log fire, and various smaller dining rooms, snugs and a bar. I loved it! The bedrooms are all beautifully decorated, some with original baths and loos, 3 suites with sitting rooms.
i had very definite ideas of what I wanted for the weekend, including a celebration dinner on the Saturday night, Some of my requests were I know, difficult for the hotel to manage,but the hotel bent over backwards to accommodate my requests. The weekend was just fantastic. I cannot praise enough the professionalism, friendliness and helpfulness of the staff, from the owners, down to waiters and cleaners. Ronelle ?, the South African girl in charge of the restaurant was just awesome at her job. She seemed to know everyones names even on the first evening. UNbelievable!.
The food was fab. I could not believe the standard of the food provided, especially for the dinner, for which all guests had 3 choices for each course, so i imagine very difficult to plate up everything at once. It was delicious, piping hot,The waiting staff knew exactly who had ordered which dish and everything was gorgeous.
So , all in all, the most fantastic weekend, and something to remember for the rest of my life.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mary R

Reviewed 1 February 2013

This was my first visit to Mortons House. The food, wine and service were first rate and all in beautiful, relaxing surroundings. This is a wonderful place for an occasional treat. The menu is varied with a good choice.

Reviewed 31 January 2013

This was our second visit to Mortons House Hotel following a delightful stay during the autumn of 2012. My girlfriend and I took advantage of an offer advertised on the hotel's website and were delighted for this to be upgraded to the Elizabethan Room, for free, owing to my safe return from overseas. This gesture was particularly touching and we were both most grateful for it. It's a wonderfully situated hotel, right in the heart of Corfe and a stones' throw from the castle and the pubs near the turn in the hill on the road to Swanage. We were warmly greeted and shown to our room where we were instantly bowled over by its period charm and elegance. We had a truly relaxing and memorable stay and were treated incredibly well by the friendly and welcoming staff. The breakfast is superb too! Hopefully we will be back soon!

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed 2 nights as part of a large group celebrating a big birthday. My wife and I phoned the hotel as we got into the village in dark rainy weather and received friendly straightforward directions to the front door. Mortons is very old and has plenty of country charm. I expected that to mean that things would not work and would be peeling at the edges; not this place. The carpets and curtains and chairs and all those things which give you the plus or minus experience are in top condition. More importantly, we were met by friendly staff who engaged immediately in a friendly way and who then remembered us and the things we said. Our room was in part of the old house and plenty of character. A long bath with enormous taps and the biggest bath plug affair I have ever seen. Also, a superb old loo with a seat big enough for a whole family. 2 weeks before arriving, the hotel had made contact and asked us if we wanted to order our meals for the first night in advance. This seemed a good idea as there was going to be quite a crowd. So they sent us the menus and we ordered. On the night and at the table, the very friendly waiter gently called out our names and placed our meals before us. Perfect. So to the food: perfect. We had two dinners over the weekend and both were superb. I'm sure that between the 50 odd guests, we had everything on the menu. There were no complaints. The chef possibly favours (or perhaps we had ordered but I don't recall), multiple dishes with smaller portions to a dish. That worked out very well for all of us. Our generations suffer from the duty to finish the plate so the last thing we would need was a huge pile of grub. Mortons present the food in a very stylish manner, so it looks as well as tastes delicious. Breakfast is also a delight. A variety of English cooked breakfasts and fairly well anything you ask for, served with a smile. We all want to go back, so book early if you want to get in ahead of us.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jeremy O
Reviewed 23 January 2013

We stayed here for our 50th wedding anniversary last January and decided to return this January for our 51st. I am usually wary about returning to somewhere that we have really enjoyed in case it disappoints the second time. I need not have worried. This time we had a room overlooking the Purbeck Hills which was warm and comfortable. The log fire was lit in the Oak Room and we enjoyed relaxing and reading there until it was time for dinner. The food was excellent again and my husband would have liked to stay long enough to try everything on the menu as he found it difficult to choose what to have. The serving staff were efficient and friendly as are all the staff which makes guests feel very welcome. As the rain had stopped for our second day we visited Dorchester and Maiden Castle which is an Iron Age Fort on top of quite a steep hill. Having had some exercise we enjoyed a cream tea on our return to the hotel - delicious - then settled by the fire again until dinner. Although we only stayed for two nights we left feeling as though we had been there longer as everything is done to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. We will be returning again, hopefully before next January.

Room Tip: We have stayed in Room 11 which looks out to Corfe Castle and Room 12 which has a view of the Purbec...
1  Thank jpmolieres
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We had the most fantastic wedding day anyone can hope for here on December 23rd 2012. The venue is a wonderful place with great facilities and atmosphere that just lifted the whole day to that extra level. The staff could not have been better and the day ran better than clockwork. The food and the wine were excellent.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 January 2013

OK, so we got married here in November 2012.

I don't know where to start and I could keep this really simple just by saying that everything was perfect, but this place deserves so much more than that.

The food was to die for. The venue was a perfect wedding venue, due to a number of reasons: Mainly the number of rooms downstairs that meant we had a large area for dining, a lovely oak-room for the service (we got married in front of a roaring fire!), the bar and its main-room and also another room that we laid on some entertainment. People could come and go as they pleased which meant that all of our guests were comfortable all day and nobody was really forced into doing anything they didn't want to do - if they wanted to relax, there was a room that catered and vice-versa.

The staff were all very polite, but being a family-run business, I also felt that you also got that personal level of sincerity that you never find in the larger hotels and that they genuinely cared for the well-being of their guests. The owner washed & ironed my shirt on the morning of the wedding, and that was not because I asked her for her help, it was because she approached me and offered!

During our three night stay, we were recommended good local places to visit and other restaurants in town, again adding to the overall experience of our stay at Mortons House.

So not only was everything perfect about the venue and the food etc, but it was Bev, who oversaw everything that really made our wedding such a success.

We left there VERY VERY happy!!

The fact that you're even reading this suggests you are interested in staying there, so please get booked ASAP and don't miss out on what this fantastic hotel has to offer.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
#1 of 3 in Wareham
Limestone Hotel
Limestone Hotel
#1 of 2 in West Lulworth

Been to Mortons House Hotel? Share your experiences!