“Should be a separate listing as a restaurant . . .” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Kings Arms Inn

The Kings Arms Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gillingham
The Kings Arms Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Gillingham
UK
“Should be a separate listing as a restaurant . . .”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

The owners of this fantastic restaurant need to put up a separate listing on Trip Advisor so it can be rated as a restaurant rather than an Inn/Pub. I always visit this restaurant when at my parents house in Cann nearby. The food is excellent - lunches are amazing value with £5 and £6 mains on offer everyday with a full a la carte and specials menu too if you fancy spending more.

The food is presented beautifully, cooked to perfection and served by friendly (albeit busy) waitresses. If you want a table for lunch you probably need to book it is always crammed full (which is why I think a separate listing as a restaurant is much needed). Have not visited it in the evening so cannot comment how busy the evenings are.

It is definitely a 'restaurant' rather than a pub, but the food prices are really extremely reasonable - my parents and I regularly have three mains and three drinks (alcoholic) for less than £24. I have taken them to various other garden centres, pubs/restaurants but this is far and away the best food and value for money to boot! I have now eaten here regularly over the last 12 months and have not had one meal that I would not be happy to be served again.

We will no doubt be back every time I am in the area.

Stayed October 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Guildford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2011

My Fiance and I called in to meet friends it's been a few years since we'd been to this Pub, and that's the problem it is no longer a Pub but a restaurant with a bar. There was good food I'll admit but at restaurant prices. What was lacking was 'atmosphere', 'bonhomie', and even what the Irish would say the 'craik'. So another great Pub gone but not forgotten. I suppose the economic climate has forced this upon us but it a great pity as our German friends who joined us were looking forward to an afternoon in a Great British Pub.

Room Tip: Cleanliness first and foremeost
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DerekandVal
Dudley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2009

Our first impression of 'The kings arms' was one of alarm! we were shown to our room and the smell that greeted us was somewhat unpleasant! our hostess reassured us that "they had been trying to get rid of the smell all day" Anyway,she brings us a can of 'oust',so we spray and decide to take stock over a drink!!! on return to the room all seems well! We ate at the kings on friday night,I had a nice piece of fish,but no way was it worth £12.My partner asked if they could make her a salad,as the menu did not contain one!(and this in the middle of summer!)The salad contained,salad leaves,carrot,sun dried tomatoes and prawns and a sliver of cucumber(a lack of imagination there,i think!)not what you would expect for £6.50.We had to fetch our own condiments,as we could not attract the waitresses attention(away from obvious regulars)I even had to go to the bar and order more drinks for the table.On the plus side,the beer is spot on and the breakfast is fantastic.This Inn seems to be doing a roaring trade in food,but neglects the little things that make a place special ,like matching bedroom furnishings and everything in a decent state of repair.When you stay at a hotel you want to feel as though you are at a second home,not as an extra to the local trade.The staff are extremely cheerful,friendly, industrious and helpful but somehow they miss the point! We stayed at the tail end of the owners holiday,maybe that had something to do with it.When the cats away,etc !!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
1 Thank steviemacca
Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2008

I had a pleasure to stay in The King's Arms Inn last year for 5 days. Me and my boyfriend really liked that place. We got a little room on the first floor (just above the pub) but it wasn't loud in the evenings as you could expect. The room was very clean, we had clean sheets and 4 towels. There was a big wardrobe in the room so we had enough place for our clothes. After arrival, in our room we found a kettle, basic dishes and plenty of tea/coffee/cookies. The bathroom was ensuite, a shower cabin, toilet and a sink, of course everything perfectly tidied.
Of course the whole object was strictly non smoking.
Breakfasts were big and tasty, we could choose from cold and cooked ones. The staff was always friendly and helpful.
I really liked the owner with whom i was e-mailing about payment (appeared that Western Union was the only way to do it), i find him very friendly and flexible.
The only disadvantage was location - no buses, no pavements, just a plain road to the closest town. so I recommend this place mainly for the ones with own transport:)

• Liked — Big and clear room.
  • Disliked — Everything being so distant
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank Bettien
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gillingham
Holbrook House Hotel
#1 of 8 in Wincanton
Castleton House
Castleton House
#1 of 4 in Mere

Been to The Kings Arms Inn? Share your experiences!