“food and servioce”

The Boat That Rocks
Price range: US$11 - US$40
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Cafe
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Newly refurbished restaurant & bar, with an emphasis on fresh food at a competitive price. Our marina side location is hard to beat and we offer live music at least once a week. Upstairs we have a wine, champagne & cocktail bar which has its own balcony and is open late thurs, fri, saturday
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Took my family and relatives the B thats R.s.What a disappointment.The food was rubbish and at 1pm various items on the menu following ordering were told they had had run out of.We ended up with cheese board and sausage and non mash and 1 portion of white bait and a bowl of tomato soup.The whole affair was embarrassing,particularly as a berth holder I had promised my family a good quality meal.I would have been better with take away,which I will be having in future

Reviewed 14 August 2013

Last Saturday evening my family and I went to dinner with high expectations, we'd eaten there when it first opened and had a truly excellent meal.

Having sat at the table we were ignored by most of the staff (of whom there are plenty) we could see them larking about and joking with the chefs in the kitchen. Eventually a barmaid took pity on us and came over to do the job of the waitresses.

It's a simple menu (little choice) and we ordered 1 Ham, egg and chips, 1 rump steak baguette (comes with chips) and a chicken mozzarella burger with - (guess what?) - chips!

The fried eggs in my wife's meal were full of pieces of shell - some pieces the size of a fingernail. We sent it back and she re-ordered a Caesar salad topped with poached egg. This appeared immediately (obviously had been sitting pre-made) the poached egg was brown and cooked to death.

My daughter's chicken had been so over cooked to be dry and the cheese peeled off in one lump - she was too young and embarrassed to complain.

All three of the original meals came with chips but they were each different types, mine were simply in-edible, cold and flaccid. We told the waitress this when she cleared our plates and she had the goodness to apologise and take one of the drinks off our bill.

We saw no evidence of a manager present and although a couple of the staff were very pleasant, most seemed totally unengaged.

Will we return? Not unless there is a major change in operation - quite simply this was the worst meal I have eaten in years.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Went for the last night of spirit of Portland . BBq over priced, bland and food presentation very poor. Plenty of staff on but most looked uninterested. Person who appeared to be the manager looked out of place behind the BBq. Band was brilliant. Evening menu just a combination of burgers, have been there quite a few times, tapas night the best but after last night will not eat there again until someone with a bit more inspiration gets a grip of the place. This place could be a gold mine in the right hands.

1  Thank chris s
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My meal was poorly presented and faired no better in taste , poor value for money . I won't be in a hurry to return .

Reviewed 21 July 2013

So good we went twice! Great position overlooking the harbour and some beautiful yachts. The building itself is quite modern, large area for eating, disabled toilet was a plus, also tables outside where we enjoyed our food and drink. Staff are all great, a young girl who i presume was the manager seated us and made us feel very welcome, a dark haired chap behind the bar was very pleasant and chatty. i got the feeling they were very attentive and obviously love to make friends with regulars. it was very busy on both occasions we went but we still had no trouble.. The food is lovingly made and looks fantastic, the fish i had was huge and filled me up for most of the day. We will be returning! Make this one of your places to eat when in Portland!

Visited July 2013