“Shell bay seafood restaraunt”

Shell Bay Seafood Restaurant
Price range: US$27 - US$36
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: View, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Poole, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Shell bay seafood restaraunt”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

We booked well in advance for our party
On arrival we were shuffled to our table over looking the sea which initially looked great that's where the good part ends
We saw down to be greeted by a cold wind whistling through a conservatory which had been finished being built
It was cold to say the least
After about 20 minutes we had not had our orders taken so we asked to move somewhere warmer
Which we were told we could so we relaid table ourselves ( no help offered)
It was still cold but better than previous location
A lot of food on menu was not available and portions were very small
For example over £10 for 4 small scallops !
We are our food as quickly as possible as it was getting cold quickly and went to pay the bill
The staff I talked to agreed about how cold it was but didn't really offer any apology
I asked if they sold hot chocolate to warm us all up but advised by staff that they would not drink it as it was awful !!!
Needless to say I asked for the £30 service charge to be removed from the bill
I think the owners rely on the location and not the quality of food and service
Best of luck to them with getting the conservatory useable for the colder nights
We won't be back

1 Thank DaveKawasaki

Oslo, Norway
“First visit at Shell Bay”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Overall impression was positive. Our waiter (with small pony tale) was very attentive and knowledgeable. He cleared up our slight disappointment for the size of the portion and value for money of scallops. Lovely location. Lovely evening...

1 Thank LGCB92
East Molesey, United Kingdom
“Location Location Location”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A family visit to celebrate my mother's 87th birthday at a Sunday lunchtime. My mother had craved lobster so lobster she ate and enjoyed! The dish was well presented with an array of salad leaves plus a very nice bowl of fries, cooked to perfection. We booked an early slot which would be recommended if one wants to grab a table in the extended conservatory section which gives a feeling of eating somewhere like the Caribbean. In fact, after our main course, a tropical like wind raged and created a marvellous effect including crashing waves whilst some patches of blue sky and sun could be experienced. So a dramatic setting at Shell Bay.

The service was very adequate although we were never at any time asked if we were enjoying the meal, which was a little surprising. However, the staff are generally quite laissez faire and unfussy, so visitors should be ok with this style or else go elsewhere if they're expecting an overly attentive waiting experience.

Apart from lobster, one of our party had a very nice piece of plaice and it was apparently delicious. The value for money, given setting and decently cooked food was good. Overall, the experience was positively memorable.

The other thing to be aware of is parking. Because of the restaurant's location at the Sandbanks ferry point, the only car parking lies about 50 yards away so anyone with impaired mobilty, unless in a wheelchair, might struggle a little. My mother was just about comfortable with her walk but wasn't happy with the fact that nothing was mentioned of this at the time of the table booking on the phone.

Poole, United Kingdom
“A meal with a view”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

The feature of this restaurant is a great location right at the mouth of Poole harbour affording it the most spectacular view looking back across the harbour to Brownsea Island and from Studland to Poole quay in the far distance. For those that don't know the area, suffice to say that you are not going to get a much better view anywhere in the UK, especially at sunset time. The restaurant boarders the harbour and the outside tables are just feet from the water. You can even arrive by boat to the jetty at the adjoining small boatyard although this seems to be kept a secret from Pooles 2000+ boats.
So the location is incredible.....The building however is old and a bit run down and has few creature comforts. They have tried to extend it towards the water with a variety of elements which are a cross between conservatory and marquee. It does add some more covered space but typically is a bit of a compromise and does not give the benefit of being warm and feeling like you are in a proper building....so the building merits about one star (bring something warm as an extra layer)!. The food is focussed on a fish menu and is generally very good with a good variety of well cooked very fresh fish, some of which come from the local waters right outside. There are a few non fish choices but not many.
Service can be very mixed, but on my last two visits was fine but never feels first class.
However the restaurant gets booked up a long way in advance and if you want to go at the weekend you will certainly need to plan well ahead and pray for good weather. But get an outside table on a perfect summers evening and you can have an amazing experience as God and nature take control of lighting the spectacular scenery and you enjoy a great fish dinner and a few glasses of wine. Just try not to glance backwards at the old building.
If you are coming from the Poole/ Bournemouth end. Park on the Sandbanks main road near the Ferry (only expect spaces in the evening as the beach goers fill them all in the day) and cross the Ferry as a foot passenger, or you can bring your car across and park in the Natural trust car park 100 yards up the road. Just remember not to miss the last Ferry home at about 11pm or you will have a long drive home.

• Visited July 2014
“The view doesn't make up for the offhandedness of staff!”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

I took my 86 year old partially sighted & disabled mother to this restaurant for her birthday last week. I asked on arrival for a table near the window & out of the way (my mother uses a wheeled walker) the waiter just pointed at a table & made no attempt to help her or me. She asked to use the toilet & the ones nearby did not have disabled access [there were no disabled facilities marked] & he stood by & didn't let us know there were any other disabled facilities to use. My mother has a small appetite - so on ordering I asked if she could have a smaller helping - waiter's response 'you'll have to pay the same price' - as though we trying to get something for free - with no helpful suggestion ie. pack some for her to take with her.
I ordered a bottle of water it wasn't opened for me & due to hand injury I was unable to - I asked the waiter could he open it for me - 'why didn't you ask before?' was his response!
Another waiter spent most of the lunchtime serving customers wearing blacked out sunglasses - despite a lack of direct sunlight - he eventually took them off.
The waiter serving us was offhand bordering on rude & the food was okay - has been much better in past years. It cost £75 for 2 with only one of us having a glass of wine & so not cheap.
Really disappointing - the view does not make up for the offhandedness of staff - I won't be going back! or recommending to anyone else.

3 Thank Ann K