“Stunning”
Review of Knoll House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Studland Bay
Knoll House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Studland Bay
“Stunning”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

We have been before, so we knew and understand the 'deal'.

The deal is this, the location is first class, you are two minutes from one of finest beaches the UK has to offer. The hotel itself is full of quirks, slightly mad in places, and wonderful in others. The staff are helpful, and friendly. The food is slightly caught up in the 1970's but good quality and well prepared. If you have either children or a dog, you will be well catered for.

The fabric of the hotel, is mixed but it has never and wouldn't put us off returning. The outside pool is a hit especially with the kids.

We had three connecting rooms, which was a massive plus. The hotel is very child friendly in a grandparent kind of a way.

The downs, it's not cheap, the breakfast sausages need to be changed, and the wine list needs to be revamped.

• Stayed May 2014
7 Thank GillyTricks

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2014

My first visit with family members, some of which have been coming here every year for 40+ years and I can understand why. Such a comfortable atmosphere and excellent for families with children and dogs. Very good leisure facilities and so many possibilities for walks. Splendid views from the front of the hotel. I've always been one for smaller family hotels, never mind if that means missing out on some 5* facilities, and this totally fits the bill. Loved it and would recommend it to those who want comfort, excellent service and superb cuisine.

Room Tip: I give excellent ratings very rarely but Knoll House deserves those given above on the basis of the...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Barbara2210
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had not known what to expect so was blown away by the charming, friendly and delightful service from everybody. The rooms are bright, clean and large with comfortable beds. There were no tea facilities in the rooms but they were available downstairs 24/7 - you could go there in a dressing gown if you so desired, no one would frown! It is a family hotel where dogs are welcome. Though quite rightly not in the bar or restaurant.

The food was excellent - so many starter options, I was spoilt for choice. The restaurant staff the best I have come across in England for attentiveness and efficiency. Service could not be faulted anywhere in the hotel.

There are many wonderful walks from the hotel, including through the fabulous grounds. I was lucky to be there for a magnificent display of rhododendrons and azaleas. There is a private path down to the sandy beach. So, one can go from paddling in the sea to the spa with its steam room and sauna. The spa has a little cafe serving coffee, nibbles and soft drinks that can can be charged to your room. There is also an outdoor and indoor pool as well as facilities for children, who even have their own dining room with play area and special menu.

Make sure you take advantage of the "beauty" treatments on offer. I can definitely recommend the hot stones massage among others.

This is a truly wonderful gem of an English countryside family run, family friendly hotel (no wonder Enid Blyton enjoyed all her many and regular visits) that I would recommend to everyone - whatever their age.

Room Tip: Am sure they are all excellent but I particularly enjoyed mine with its sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank AlisonAmahl
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Great family hotel which is set up with kids in mind.

However the pricing is, in my mind, a little steep and the look and feel is a slightly old school, but I guess that is half the charm.

Didn't stay long enough to really settle in, but hope to return soon. to try again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Mike B
Trowbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014

It was with trepidation that we checked into Knoll house as I had read such hugely mixed reviews. Staff were friendly from the outset with a porter helping with our bags and a fuss free check in. I was happy with our room, it was very basic but spacious, and spotless with a good bed. There was no television, which was fine with me but I was under the impression all rooms had a radio (on leaving we informed reception that we had not had one, and they told us that housekeeping don't put them in all the rooms, so I'm a little bemused as to why we were deemed not to qualify). There were no tea making facilities, which I find totally unacceptable in a hotel that charges top dollar. A cup of tea after a long drive and when you wake up really are very basic requirements and I have never stayed in a hotel which thinks otherwise. They do now offer complimentary shower gel and shampoo which I believe is a recent thing. The hotel itself is large and meandering with some odd decor choices ranging from 1950's holiday camp, art deco cruise liner and retirement home (the overwhelming smell in the lounge areas is certainly the latter). That said they do offer some very comfy sofas and lots of places to sit and relax with family. Some of the more bizarre interior design features include laminated photos of what I assume are dead pet dogs stuck to the skirting boards every few feet (weird) and a huge painted wooden cartoon of Joseph Stalin at the entrance to the junior dining room. The grounds are nicely looked after and the pirate ship and games room etc seemed to be going down well with the younger guests. At one point my kids got thirsty and my brother in law after a long bike ride asked if there was any possibility of a sandwich, nothing is available outside meal times or bar opening hours so bear this in mind. Meal times are strict and dinner quite comically is heralded with a Xylophone over a loud speaker (hi-de-hi style). The dining room is huge and there are lots of attentive staff on hand. There was a huge choice of starters spaghetti bolognaise and fruit juice among the choices, which I thought was slightly odd, main meal options were much more limited but the food was of decent quality and served with a smile. After mains they offer an all you can eat dessert buffet, which was all home made and went down a storm. Breakfast the next morning was nowhere near as good as dinner it was really cheap ingredients cooked badly, cold congealed beans, cheap horrible sausage, undercooked bacon along side cremated bacon, tinned mushrooms and potatoes that seemed to have been cooked and reheated several times. Such a shame as a good hotel breakfast is always one of the highlights of going away as far as I'm concerned and this was one of the worst I've ever had. To sum it up this is a very traditional place that in my opinion needs a little updating in places and a few more basics like tea and coffee for it's guests. It was a very relaxing stay and I enjoyed myself but for the astronomical prices they charge they do need to up their game a little bit.

Room Tip: Try and get a sea view, we were provided with binoculars but our room looked out onto a huge hedge a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
9 Thank Peanuts1010
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This traditional hotel, knows how to provide three generational families and their dogs with memorable stays in an area of stunning beauty with lots to do. It knows how to since its owners have been doing this for many, many years. Studland Bay is one of the best beaches in the UK and the scenery is completely unspoilt thanks to the land being owned by the National Trust.

Room Tip: There are family suites and some front facing rooms which catch the morning sun light (East facing t...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Will K
bournemouth
Reviewed 8 March 2014

We live in Bournemouth so we are fairly local to this hotel but we decided to treat ourselves to a couple of nights here to celebrate our wedding anniversary and we loved it. It is a really interesting place, the public rooms are a bit old fashioned, quirky and full of character. The bed room we had was very stylish as it had recently been refurbished. The staff are amazing. You are made to feel at home the moment you walk through the door. We had our very old dog with us and everybody was so kind to him! The food is also excellent, especially the puddings! We will definitely come back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
#10 of 13 in Poole
Mortons House Hotel
Mortons House Hotel
#1 of 2 in Corfe Castle

Been to Knoll House Hotel? Share your experiences!