“Go with a good appetite!”
Review of The Green Man

The Green Man
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
S East England
“Go with a good appetite!”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

A good welcome in this family run village pub . A nice bar area and small restaurant. Great menu choice, mostly home made country fayre, including Dorset Faggots! Portions large though so arrive hungry!! Sunday lunch also got raves reviews from those who had previously visited the pub.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank gardeninggirl

yeovil
“Sunday lunch like mother makes”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Very popular for the Sunday lunch carvery, and we could see why - a choice of 5 different roast meats, help yourself to as much veg as you like , proper roast potatoes and parsnips. All for £ 10.75 - excellent, recommend it. Large dining room, or could eat in bar area , which had a nice log fire .

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank supercoolnick
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Man sized portions of beautifully home cooked homely food...”
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Id been for a trip to Blandford Forum to get some Christmas atmosphere. Having been laid up on the sofa under a blanket for four days with the worst cough and cold, and to tired to cook, I desperately wanted a good home cooked meal, a winter filler. I fancied Steak and Kidney pudding but of the two places I checked in Blandford, one only did baguettes or cottage pie at lunchtime (ON A SATURDAY IN THE LEAD UP TO CHRISTMAS???) and the Hotel was rather too fussy a menu for what I wanted.
I toured the villages, stopped at one that was empty, cold, unexciting menu and no one came to say hello, another that was more welcoming but still an uninspiring menu, the third was getting there but still no quite the ambience and finally.......I came upon The Green Man, almost in desperation as I was also running out of petrol.
The outside belies the welcome and food within. As I walked in I was immediately greeted by a lovely gentleman behind the bar, the fire was a cookin to my right and the specials menu sung out with things like venison bourgingone (or however its spelt!), beef stew and dumplings, liver and bacon, all clearly home cooked. I ordered the beef stew and dumplings which came with creamy mash and a dish full of fresh veg. Even though I was hungry and attempted valiantly to eat it all, it beat me. It was really very good. And with a nice cup of tea (sorry beer fans, not today!) it was just what the Doctor ordered. Its a bit out of the way for a visit direct from home, but I would definitely eat there again and would recommend it. The interior is bedded in comfy local pub so anyone wanting a fashion pub, this is unlikely to be for you, but if youre hungry, close your eyes!!

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Gail T
Reigate
“Horrible and unfriendly experience.”
Reviewed 15 September 2012

The hired staff appear to be friendly enough. Upon asking who the ungrateful miserable people behind the bar chatting amongst themselves were, we were informed that they were 'running' it. Silly fools. The first visit we arrived and asked for coffees to sit outside, and this seemed well out of their comfort zone. We went again for lunch, and supper, no 'hello, welcome' etc. It really felt like we were doing them a service. Bill tossed on the table. Avoid it, it's beyond belief how these people can treat paying customers like they do in this current environment. Plenty of welcoming pubs not far from there.

• Visited July 2012
9 Thank chazzo c
rkid121
“Not happy customers. Miserable rude staff”
Reviewed 4 July 2012 via mobile

Was very very disappointed. Staff were so unfriendly. Seemed like they couldn't be bothered to serve you. Everything was too much effort. No please thankyou and how was your meal. We left after the meal and staff were sat at bar and couldn't even be bothered to say goodbye. We went there for my birthday with our son and his girlfriend. We travelled 20 minutes to get there as we had been before and had loved it. Was expensive and as I said staff were very very rude. Will not be returning ever unless you improve the way your staff treat your customers. Could of gone somewhere closer to where we live and been treated with the respect we deserve being paying customers and had a good good cheaper meal. Sort it out green man there are pubs resturants closing every day. You need to treat your customers a little better. The bill was even flung on the table by the miserable girl that served us. Perhaps would of been nicer on a tray or even in a book. Never ever going back.

3 Thank rkid121