“A rare treat”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We had takeaway to share with family but ordred whilst having a good pint of bitter at their bar, really well kept and decorated Indian restaurant that is well established ,and it was good to see them busy as early as 19.30. the menu has a wide choice of dishes and its not like so many where they use one stock sauce to create so many dishes ,the food was individual and very very good, highly recommended and we will be back to eat in next time we are in Wareham

Juber R, Manager at Monsoon Indian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2014

Hello there, thank you for trying the monsoon and then going on to write a fantastic review of your experience. As you mention in your review we are very well established and do offer a wide range of dishes which are freshly cooked and tailored to the individual, this is why we are very popular and busy. I am extremely pleased that your experience was a good one here providing a curry for yourselves is a rare treat. I cannot thank you enough for your feedback and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

We went to the sunday night eat all you can buffet £9.95, Oh Absolutely wonderful if you are a vegetarian ,I,m not a big eater and being honest ive been here before and was not impressed but it was a evening out with a friend not my choice .
plenty of different flavour potatoes with small pieces of frozen vegetables, onion bahjis were scarce it seemed to be the only thing that had some taste unfortunately as there was about 20 of us in the restaurant I guess the chef thought 1 was enough per person.
Shredded ice berg lettice looked dainty on such a tiny plate and about 6-7 wedges of tomato and 4-5 wedges of lemon it made it a bit awkward really to take some knowing there wouldn't be enough to go round all the customers .
Very small print on labels.stuck on side of dishes so we couldn't read what It was.It felt a bit like give us a clue ,Ideally the chicken would of looked more nourishing if it didn't have holes in it im assuming these holes were from the skewers used from chicken tikka at lunch times .
The lamb well what can I say did you put the wrong label on ? it tasted like beef I might add I was lucky though as there were only 2 pieces in the dish about 1" which I shared with a customer from another table .
In all it was an experience I don't think you can take some ones word as don't go , but what I would say is ask to look at the eat all you can buffet first ,they might say no then don't bother .
Its ok paying 9.95 if you come away from there feeling not full but content .
I Hope your other restaurant has plenty more to offer who knows I might just try it ..... watch this space . We never even got asked if we would like any extras like poppadum and pickles or chapatti or nann or paratha shame really ,and whos gonna pay 4.95 for a ice cream that's bought in .get a gateau or some fresh fruit salads.
In 2010 I used to come in here every week with different friends ,the waiters were lovely friendly guys always wanted to help chatty very pleasant ,this is the first thing I noticed there was no atmostphere, the staff need to be chatty have a laugh they certainly lack a friendly personality.

Juber R, Manager at Monsoon Indian Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2014

Hi there, thank you for your constructive review of your experience at the Monsoon. Id like to take this opportunity to address the major issues you highlighted.

First of all i would like to apologise for the small printed labels that made it difficult for you to read what dishes were what, this is something we will amend asap.

Secondly, you make comments regarding the holes within out chicken, the wholes are because the chicken tikka is skewered and placed in a clay oven to cook, This is how chicken tikka is traditionally done, unfortunately due to recent fads in cheap 'chicken tikka' that you can buy at your mainstream pubs and big supermarkets supply, not many people know what constitutes chicken tikka anymore, this is of course no fault of your own but rather society diluting the roots of authenticity particularly in the curry trade, after all, currys in jars arnt real currys right? just like chicken tikka in a sandwich you can purchase at tescos isnt really chicken tikka. Anyway, unless you would like ti provide us an alternative way other than the traditional decades old method of cooking chicken tikka this practice will continue. If you wish to provide us with an alternative way, please do, you know where to find us.

Moreover i would like to apologise for the lack of food experience on the night, you said it yourself, there was around 20 people in the restaurant that night right? all im assuming were eating, have you ever tried to feed 20 people all at once? if so great, its quite hard, have you ever tried to feed 20 people at once who have come specifically to take advantage of our fabulous over of an all you can eat buffet? well if you had, you'd know as a customer, the whole point in buffet is really to eat as much as you can, and people naturally stack there plates to get the best value right? So if 20 people stacked there plate would you not think the buffet would at times be empty? We do of course top it up constantly but when alot of people are eating all at once and can help themselves whenever they like to the food it is quite difficult. The name of the game is patience i guess, the food does come out, it is cooked fresh and its fantastic quality when it does. Our chefs do there best, they are Indian but dont be mistake them for modern day ganesh, they do not have 6 arms each and are only human. Also i would like to suggest if there was a certain dish you wanted that wasn't present when you went up, please do not hesitate to tell a member of staff and they would have done there best to make sure that dish was available for you.

In regards to the fact that our staff did not offer you popadums or any extras like chapatis or naans, First of all our process of service on a sunday is first to seat the customer, ask them if they are here for the buffet of would like to order off the main menu and then ask them if they would like popadums and drinks regardless of whether they were there for the buffet or not. To state you weren't offer popadums would be an untrue statement to make, because if you received drinks, you would have been asked for popadums. In regards to things like naans and chapatis, these are extras, you must request them, after all most people do not as they are strickly there for the buffet, a cheap, night out for the majority of customers, extras cost more and therefore if you wished to have chapatis, pickles etc you must request them.

£4.95 is a reasonable mark up for our desserts, baring in mind establishments charge more or less the same price for desserts! the cheapest food establishment i can think of that provide desserts is probably weatherspoons, and check there menu out, there desserts are £4-6 my friend, i do not know what you really expect the prices to be like when you come and dine into a restaurant, its not a secret that restaurants have a very high mark up on food and drinks is it? i mean we charge £3.60 for a pint of carling, down your local shop you could probably get a 4 pack for that price right? If we had bought in a gateau like you suggested we probably would have offered it for a similar price as our current dessert, in fact all places would that have business sense and understand the basics of business would have!

In regards to our service issues, you are one of perhaps 2 people out of 98 reviews that have ever faulted our service, this is up to the reader to judge.

Anyway, thanks again for your feedback. i hope this addresses alot of you 'problems'.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Visited the Monsoon to celebrate my birthday. The food was delicious and service was very speedy. Can recommend the Chicken Tikka Ceylon and Lamb Pathia. Also the Mushroom rice is particularly good.Well worth a visit!

Hi there, first of all I would like to thank you for sharing a special occasion such as your birthday with us and then going on to write a perfect review! We are pleased that you enjoyed the food on the day, I must say so myself that the lamb pathia is one of my favourites too! We hope to see you again soon, kind regards.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

We decided to try the monsoon after reading tripadvsior reviews online for all resturants in the area, we came midweek, although the resturant was quite at the time with only 2/3 tables in we still had a lovely time, the staff were very friendly and talkabtive, and the food was great, but thats a given provided that its highly rated on tripadvisor. will be trying this again soon!

Hi there thank you for first trying us to after reading the reviews on tripadvisor and then going on to write a lovely review yourself, I am pleased that you enjoyed the experience and that the staff took the time to have a nice chat with you, we try our best to provide excellent service especially on quite nights such as the one that you came in to dine with us as we do. It often have time to do this during busy nights. Thank you again, and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 15 January 2014

Are you like myself who really miss the old fashion indian resturants of the 80s? before they started serviving there food on dishes that look like they belong on the set of star trek? before they started designing your plates better than a painting from van gough? Well if you are then take a trip down to the Monsson! the food is amazing and very authentic, the srvice is outstanding and not too pushy, and the apnosphere is great, dont get me wrong, the premises, an old oub, has been converted nicely but it still has a traditional feel about the place. Give it a chance 5* from me!

Hello there, I must say it's not often that I get to write a response back to someone as witty as yourself, I am pleased that you enjoyed the food on this occasion and the decor wasn't too out of this world! Our chef is extremely experience having been a chef since the 1970s, this makes him as authentic as you get really, having worked in Birmingham for the majority of those years as you know is the home of the balti, we are pleased you enjoyed your experience and we hope to see you soon