“Hidden gem”

The Cock and Bottle
Reserve with OpenTable
The Cock and Bottle is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 61 Restaurants in Wareham
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dorset
“Hidden gem”
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

I've been here off and on over the years, probably not as much as I'd like, but it is a fair drive for me so usually opt for something closer. Having said that it is actually just a quarter mile off a main road, but still manages to be in the 'sticks'. It isn't too touristy, and being (I believe) independent it retains a fair amount of charm, especially in the older section. It must be doing well as it's had an extension since I last went with bi-fold doors onto the rear garden.
The staff are polite and helpful, and the food has always been very nice. There's a wide selection to choose from and prices for mains start at about £10, and they are famed locally for emphasising country-type food such as rabbit and venison. However they also do vegetarian (which you wouldn't know from the sample menu on their website!): I had a lovely mushroom Wellington with dauphinoise, and it wasn't over spiced like so many veggie dishes are.
There's plenty of parking, and the loos are well maintained and clean (and there's a disabled loo by the entrance); but beware the exit as it's on a bend, the lane is narrow, and let's just say the locals know how to motor!
All in all would heartily recommend.

Visited August 2014

Fleet, United Kingdom
“Excellent, great value, friendly!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Trip Advisor

Waiting Time: Good, everything is made fresh, no "chicken ding" meals here, so the short wait is well worth it.

Service - Friendliness: Both owners are very friendly, this is the first time we have visited the establishment and we chatted like we were friends for years, lovely couple!

Service - Speed/Attentiveness: excellent, nothing was too much trouble! The lady their was so good with my 5 year old who was being a little monkey!

Food - First Visual Impression: Outstanding! Beautifully presented!

Taste and Quality: The food tasted wonderful. My father had the steak & kidney suet pudding which he said is how his mum used to make it, I had the gourmet burger (which I recommend) and I am going to have to go back as my wife had the venison wellington, which after seeing I want to try! My wife LOVED the cheese board, all local cheeses.

Environment/Cleanliness: lovely traditional pub, very clean and inviting.

Value: 2 courses and drinks, approx £20 per head, a bargain!

Other (wifi, Parking etc): lots of private parking! Wifi is BT Fon

Overall Summary: it's a real traditional pub that is clearly run by owners who take pride in what they do. I congratulate the cook and a job well done, the food was exceptional! On speaking to the lady owner the burgers, suet puds and Wellington are all homemade on site! I can't praise this establishment enough, quite rare for me to dish out 5 stars, but the Cock and Bottle deserves a full house, 5 Stars all the way, well done!

• Visited August 2014
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“It's still pretty good”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Haven't been back for a long time, but was able to just turn up before the crowds and had an excellent meal (Hunter's Chicken) and sea bass. The Summer Pudding was possibly the best I've had. This si a lovely pub with a friendly and convivial landlord and staff

• Visited July 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Beware vegetarians”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Stopped off on the way home from the coast. We were met with a mild coldness and on being asked if we had booked (we hadn't) were told they could fit us in (it was 6.15 and only 1 other couple in, also not booked) so the place was relatively empty. we were shown the boards behind us after ordering our drinks. I am a vegetarian so a limited choice anyway in any pub/restaurant, this was a choice of 4, one of which had parmesan shavings (not veggie) I didn't want to point this out to the staff in front of the other couple waiting at the bar so moved across to the other bar area and pointed this out to the woman at the bar on her own, she didn't seem very happy about it! We decided not to eat there and finished our drinks, I popped to the loo first and my husband went off to the car, as I came out I thanked them and was met with a large Paddington stare. This pub is nice for a drink, but we thought the food was very overpriced and staff a little chilly.

• Visited July 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Little gem in Dorset”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

This charming pub is definately off the beaten track , But the food and great service is what you hope for but very rarely find .
my partner and I make this a regular stop off before driving back to london . We have also tried their other recently refurbished pub the Botany Bay , although quite different its another superisingly good resturant with a large menu and staff with a character all of their own , well worth a visit when in Dorset

• Visited June 2014