“Charming pub”
Review of The Halfway Inn

The Halfway Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
The Halfway Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7 of 61 Restaurants in Wareham
Price range: US$11 - US$33
Cuisines: British, Brew Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This is the third time we've been to this delightful Pub and each time it has been a very pleasant experience. We went as a family to celebrate my Grandaughters 6th birthday, made very welcome and very child friendly, food was delicious and staff lovely, I'm sure we will be going back in the near future.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Stopped off at this pub whilst house sitting for the mother-in-law in Bovington. After visiting Swanage with the children on the Easter bank holiday, we thought it was time for dinner so whilst at a café I phoned up and booked a table for 1800(ish).

Service/staff

The staff at the pub were very nice! I was initally served by a young girl with black hair who smiled as we spoke and helped us with the high chair. It was a tall girl with blonde hair (think she may have been a supervisor) who passed us our food. Again, she was very friendly. The food took about 15 minutes to arrive which isn't too bad! Only issue with the service (not a big deal) is that they ran out of straws.

Food/drink

We ordered 2 cheeseburgers, side of onion rings and a fish and chips for the 2 children to share. Burger - was very nice. A big bit of meat, nice slab of cheese with various veggie bits in it with a side of chips. Was very nice and would recommend. The onion rings - Every pub I go to I order onion rings. Love it. The ones here were absolutely amazing! The children ate their dinner as well which means it was good, seeing how fussy the boy is!

The only downfall I though on this section was the selection of lagers. They only did two; peroni and amstel, which in my opinion taste very similar and a taste I don't like. Im a man of simple taste so a fosters or carlsberg would have been more than enough for me! Also the selection of the menu was limited, but I like a lot of the things on there so cant complain at all!

A wee bit on the pricey side but to be honest it is the price you expect to pay "out in the sticks".

Summery

All in all a good place to go and I would happily go back there :)

Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Ate here on a Sunday night out of season, which usually means a nightmare for pub food. So pleasantly surprised by the quality and range of the food on offer. I had a lovely badger beer pie and my partner had 3 sausages &mash all was very well cooked with good quality ingredients.

1  Thank angreviewer
Reviewed 20 April 2014

This was rather shocking and the food was hardly up to standard, being on holiday though we dont wish to complain and spoil our evening. We arrived at what we thought to be a welcoming pub, my daughter and myself grabbed a table inside the pub, some minutes later a waitress walked in to tell me the table was reserved and was about to place the sign on the table. I explained I was sat there and about to order food, but she still insisted this was reserved, when I asked when she explained they had just taken the call, I asked if I was being kicked off the table and she said I am just telling you its reserved. In the end the landlord could see the issue and allowed us to remain. Then we noticed how 2 children aged 5 years helping the staff collect glasses in the beer garden, not surprisingly some were dropped and smashed, leaving the children and public to use the garden still with broken glass on the floor! The fish was soggy, peas cooked twice and the chips must have come from MacDonalds. Nothing was good, the sausages my daughter arrived all split and broken. Looking at the decor I would suggest this pub is redecorated and the staff trained. Its a real shame because the pub has potential but we wont visit again.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

The service was average although we dared ask to have a piece of chicken instead of beef and was told it was not possible due to stock levels and only small pieces of chicken were available but he said he would ask the chef. We were told if no chicken we would get more vegetables and only be charged for a child's portion, all we got was a child's portion of vegetables - no meat and no explanation. My pepper and sweet potato burger was lovely in the middle but some very hard bits which I couldn't crunch but the actual bun was quite soggy. Food took ages but was Mother's Day although pub didn't seem anywhere near capacity. All in all nothing great - the Scott's Arms a few miles down the road a much better place! Reckon passing trade is good for them but we won't rush back unless starving.