“Disappointing”
Review of The Priory Hotel

The Priory Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wareham
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We had dinner here yesterday evening to celebrate my daughters special birthday. We have eaten here several times before and we were really looking forward to a special meal. Unfortunately this was not so, the starters lacked seasoning, the main courses were overcooked, especially the venison. The only saving grace was the desserts which were excellent. When asked by the waitress had we enjoyed our meal I did tell her that it was disappointing, to which she replied that she would inform the chef. We heard no more from them, not a good exercise in customer relations. Considering the cost of the meal plus wine I would hesitate before returning to the Priory again.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MarinaBarry

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Having visited Wareham many times, we had promised ourselves we would stay at the Priory.
We were not disappointed.The welcome was very friendly and relaxed. All of the staff were very efficient and the service very good .Our room was very good and overlooked the garden and river.The Priory has a lovely relaxing feel and the staff are always helpful.I would recommend
the restaurant the best duck I have tasted.We will visit again

Room Tip: Room overlooking garden and river.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Recently had another lovely stay at this wonderful little hotel. We keep returning and are never disappointed. It has the feeling of a private home with individually designed and furnished rooms, comfortable sitting areas and friendly staff who provide excellent service. We always enjoy the freshly prepared breakfasts in the garden room and eating our evening meal in the 'cellar' restaurant. The food and wine is always of a very high quality. The gardens are a feature of this hotel and overlook the river. Our room was very comfortable with fresh fruit and bottled water included. The bathroom was tiny but worked well and we like the Molton Brown products. This is not a cheap place to stay but we think it is well worth the money and will be returning.

Room Tip: All rooms are individual. Discuss with the hotel if you have preferences with regard to view, stairs...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bishi106
Reviewed 2 April 2014

This hotel was a great find, it is a treat indeed to find somewhere that is not full of flash and bling. It is understated and beautiful. It knows exactly what it is and long may it stay that way. A slice of a sadly long gone england. Genteel, great service, beautiful surroundings. I couldn't fault it. We went for Mothering sunday and it takes a lot to impress my mother. She has waxed lyrical about it ever since. The food was absolutely divine with wonderful service. Just lovely. Lets hope it does not bow to pressure to modernise or change, if people don't like this sort of thing go elsewhere and leave it be. So many hotels I have found over the years have given in to the pressure of being modernised and blinged. I sincerely hope that it does not happen here. Long may the Priory remain. First class and I will return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2014

This hotel was a pleasure to visit from start to finish. The staff were warm and welcoming. The location set on the river was so pretty and tranquil. We ate in the restaurant and were not disappointed. There is an excellent wine list to accompany dinner. The secure gated car park was also great as parking can be difficult in the town.
The hotel has lovely drawing rooms to enjoy the views of the river rather than just staying in your bedroom.
We experienced exceptional weather for March and enjoyed sitting in the sunshine on the terrace surrounded by the beautiful and well maintained gardens.
I would recommend this hotel for a restful break.
Yes it's not cheap but you get what you pay for ........ good quality and service.

Room Tip: Room 21 was on a split level next to a lovely sitting room. The room was quiet with views out to th...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My husband and I have stayed at four pride of Britain hotels and this one was the latest and in itself was a little piece of England but the town of Wareham left a lot to be desired .
I struggled with this review because I was trying to base my opinion on the hotel but the town did have an impact and so I had to give it four stars and to be brutal it was a fight between three and four .
We stayed in the boathouse for two nights and it was an amazing place . The bedroom at the back although dark looked out onto an impressive church and garden with water feature . The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and shower over the bath and the sitting area was light as it was the south facing and had two doors out onto a small terrace directly on the river Frome to sit and watch the boats and fishermen ..
We did however decide not to eat in the hotel cellar restaurant although the menu looked extensive and appealing it was £46.50 per person before any drinks . It was quiet a lot on top of a normal cost of £375 per night b & b We paid special offer rate of £281,25 per night b&b . So we took our chances and went into wareham .
This is where we started to struggle . We did find one bistro place to eat on the Friday evening but struggled really badly on the Saturday night to find a second place in walking distance . There were a lot of pubs which were full of local lads on a Saturday night binge and one couple struggling to get into a place called Harry's another bistro type place due to a rowdy bunch of youths outside . A police car seemed to patrol the main road up and down most of the evening . We eventually decided on a Chinese unfortunately sited opposite a BetFred bookies that did a roaring trade all night where I watched young lads come out and urinate up the walls while trying to eat my food .
Believe me I don't come from a town where these things are uncommon on a Saturday night but in contrast to The Priory it felt a million miles away yet a few minutes away from its front door ..
Had we have eaten within the hotel perhaps in winter time and not ventured out to the town our experience would have been totally different .
Being in the boathouse and only popping over for breakfast we felt detached from the hotel and never really got to know any of the staff. The welcome was nice enough and the breakfast was fine although the garden room it was served in could do with a bit of sprucing up. What we saw of the main building was slightly dark with a small bar and corridor and lounge area .
This hotel shines in the summer due to its position on the river and beautiful gardens but I do struggle to feel its worth the money .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank boxyuk
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

This was my second stay at the hotel and again an excellent choice. I booked the bed, breakfast and dinner option. The hotel is great as it does not apply a 2 night stay at the weekend.

The room we stayed in was beautiful, super kings size bed, beautiful views and a luxury bathroom.

The food is amazing and would highly recommend dinner at this hotel. The wine selection is good and great food choice.

The location is great to explore local sites - Durdle Door, Corfe Castle

A great hotel, good service and value for money. Highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wareham
Mortons House Hotel
7 mi away
Knoll House Hotel
Knoll House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Studland Bay

Been to The Priory Hotel? Share your experiences!