“A hidden gem”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Not a particularly visible location, and obviously quite new, however this Indian restaurant was a very pleasant surprise.

As usual, when on holiday, we used TripAdvisor to locate a restaurant with good reviews. In this part of Dorset these appeared to be a little thin on the ground.

On entering the restaurant we were greeted politely and shown to one of just 10 tables. We were advised that only soft drinks were available at the bar, as they didn't have a licence yet. However were directed to a nearby shop, and assured that no corkage would be charged.

We started our meal with an Indiana Mixed Grill starter. This comprised two pieces of beautifully spiced chicken, two lamb and one lamb sheesh kebab, all served on a bed of softened onions. A lovely start.

For mains we went for Chicken Tikka Ceylon and Chicken dish from chef's specials. These were accompanied by mushroom rice and a Tikka naan. Both dishes were beautifully cooked, with the chicken sliced thinly rather than in large chunks. A nice twist and made the meat really tender.

After finishing the main course we spotted a neighbouring being handed some interesting deserts. While not usually tempted by the desert menu, we order an orange sorbet. This arrived in a hollowed out orange and definitely tasted of fresh zest and orange juice.

All in all a lovely evening with great food and impeccable service. Goes to show once again that you can't judge a book by it's cover or a restaurant by it's location.

Our compliments to the chef!!

3  Thank Robin C

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Decided to try Indiana having received a menu through our door, we were just over the 5 mile radius for delivery on the takeaway we instead dined on a quiet Tuesday night. We were greeted by a young gentlemen very polite, smart and welcoming who sat us and bought us a glass for our cobra as the restaurant is yet to be licensed. The restaurant was very lovely, modern and clean, at the time we were the only table in but this did not bother us too much as the restaurant is fairly new and perhaps word has not spread.

We ordered our food, I had the indiana special which was fantastic and my wife had the ceylon again very tasty! The service was impecable and professional! We would highly recommend this restaurant over the others in the area for its modern feel, great service and excellent food. Also we were informed that they would deliver to us for a mere £2 extra, again very tempting and convenient, a must try.

1  Thank Patrick B
Reviewed 30 July 2014

At the risk of appearing egotistical I usually preface reviews of Indian restaurants with the explanation that the reason that I am often less enthusiastic than some of good but fairly typical Indian restaurants is probably because my background and experience of Indian food and restaurants for comparison purposes is much wider than most. (This background is on my personal profile for any who might wish to check the basis for the claim). In this case, however, I am pleased to say that I am in agreement with the majority of reviews posted (curiously, all of the negative ones are for take-away/delivery meals - food for thought!).

We were staying in Wareham with friends, who told me that this restaurant had opened earlier this year as an offshoot of Monsoon in Wareham. As I had visited both Monsoon and Rajpoot in Wareham during my Curry Club days, I was interested to try it.

At first sight it appeared to be an unlikely place to open an Indian restaurant as Bovington looks to be a large army base and accommodation rather than a rural village. Also, the restaurant is not easy to find as it is situated at the end of a short and unprepossessing cul-de-sac. Therefore, although army personnel at the camp would know it (and doubtless welcome it) it is unlikely to get much casual passing trade, as you are unlikely to spot it by driving through. (A sign on the main road would help, unless there is one that I missed).

From the external surroundings and appearance I began to wonder if we had made the right choice, but once inside it is light and airy with the clean contemporary décor of a new restaurant (although ‘light’, ‘airy’ and ‘contemporary’ inevitably means it is not a particularly cosy ambience). It is not that large, seating about forty, and offers a menu that lists all the standard curryhouse dishes plus a few less common names amongst the specials. There is a soft drinks list, but they do not sell alcohol

We started with Onion Bhajis, and my concerns seemed to be confirmed. The large, round bhajias (each having a curious light orange hue) were only lightly crisp on the outside with the inside being soft and quite oily throughout, almost certainly because the oil in which they had been deep fried had not been hot enough initially and thus seeped into the bhaji rather than cooking it quickly. Most was left, the oily soft onion glistening on the plate, and I feared the worst.

However, I was delighted to find that my fears proved to be totally unfounded as everything else was superb. The chicken pieces in the shashlik were tastily marinated and perfectly grilled to be tender yet nicely barbecued on the outside. The Chicken Tikka Pathia was delicious, with just the right hotness - the spicy heat coming through as you ate rather than the sudden hit and harshness of raw chilli or chilli powder – and with an excellent and delicate balance of hot and sweet. It was the best I have had for a long time. Equally flavoursome was the Tarka Dall and Mixed Dry Vegetables, the former being the perfect consistency and flavour underlined with garlic, while the vegetable dish contained a good selection cooked al dente with a lovely underlying peppery taste. I am told the Chicken Pasanda was also very good, although I did not try any (much too sweet and coconutty for my palate).

The portions were generous, the service friendly and efficient and the prices about the average. The clientele when we were there all appeared to be army personnel or connected with the army base, so given its location this is likely to be a major source of local customers. However, the food was of a standard that will, I am sure, generate word of mouth recommendations that will encourage customers to drive in from towns and villages nearby.

All in all it was a very good meal that surprisingly surpassed our initial expectations. In fact, it was only a few onion bhajis away from a 5-star rating, and I don’t give those lightly to Indian restaurants!

2  Thank malabarfly
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Great Indian. Lots of lovely fresh flavours. Delicious Naan bread.
Service was very good. I made a mistake, my eyes were bigger than my belly and I realised as I was devouring my starter of onion bhaji (which was delicious) that I would not have room for the side ordered with my main. They cancelled it without a problem.
Bill was easily divided between us, we were a large party.
I like that you have to take your own alcohol. It helps keep the bill down :-D
Would definitely go again. Recommended.

1  Thank Jen O
Reviewed 11 July 2014

That was the best curry i have ever had...i went in with my girlfriend the other day for the first time, the service was brilliant, all of the staff were so nice and polite. As soon as the curry came through the door i could smell it, the food its self was perfect it couldnt of gotten any better. I will definitely be eating there again!!

3  Thank harrismiles