“Did the job”

The Black Bear Hotel
Ranked #22 of 23 Wareham B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 August 2013

I booked a twin room here for one night during Summer 2013. My friend and I turned up late and left early, and none of this was a problem for the friendly staff who looked after us. We particularly appreciated having the breakfast fee taken off of our bill as we were leaving before breakfast was served. We also really appreciated being able to book somewhere for one night only as that was all we needed, and we got parking right outside the hotel.

It was noisy as there was some kind of fireworks celebration in town, and we needed the windows open as it was during the very hot spell of weather. The shower was terrible, although the bathroom did look like it had brand new fittings. I just could not get the right temperature through the shower and the pressure was not great at all. The bath, when run, was fine. The room was very basic.

However, for what the hotel offered, it was good value and the people were nice. If I was in the area and just needed a place to stay for a night or so then I would cheerfully return.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 16 July 2013

The hotel is easy enough to find, I thought it had parking but it doesn't. However the barman directed me to a pay and display car park just around the corner that is free overnight, which was perfect for us as we were going to be up and away fairly early the next morning.
There was some kind of party going on in the bar when we arrived, so didn't feel comfortable going to have a drink in there. We went across to the Quay Inn, a lovely bar and restaurant. We didn't have anything to eat, just a drink on the rooftop terrace. Lovely polite staff and the food did look very inviting!
So back to the Black Bear Hotel. The room was quite small, which doesn't necessarily matter, I thought it wasn't en-suite until I opened what I though was a cupboard door to reveal the small bathroom. Again the smallness didn't matter and it was pretty clean. However the toilet had a 'turbo flush' fitted to it (I've never even heard of a turbo flush let alone know what it's for - I dread to think) so made an almighty noise when it flushed, that coupled with the noise from the extractor fan made for a very noisy bathroom. I tried to have a shower, switched the shower on, and about 2 minutes later it switched itself off and wouldn't turn on again.
It's true as with some of the other reviews, you could feel every spring in the bed, it was a very soft mattress so not good for people with back pain.
The party revellers did make a lot of noise, but the hotelier did advise that they closed at 12 midnight, so I presume that's when the party died down. But as we'd had a very long day we just wanted to go to sleep which was impossible while the party was going on.
Breakfast the next morning was pretty good, we weren't expecting much, but we were pleasantly surprised! We did say it was the best thing about the stay.
The girl serving was friendly & chatty, although she did let a swear word slip whilst she was talking to us. Personally I didn't mind, but it doesn't come across as very professional.
I can't say I'd stay here again really, I don't think it was worth the money we paid for it, far from it, but each to their own...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hevs75
Reviewed 29 June 2013

As another reviewer said the staff were very friendly and welcoming, but it couldn't take away from the fact the hotel needs an overhaul. I could feel every spring in the bed, paint was peeling off in the bathroom, the toilet must work on pressure feeder or something as it made a terrible noise every couple of hours in the night - even when it hadn't been used. I had the worse night sleep for ages.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Darth69
Reviewed 27 June 2013

We found this Inn a great place to stay . The staff were all really friendly, the room was clean and the breakfast first class. The locals drinking at the bar added to the atmosphere, it's nice to stay at a genuine local pub. Breakfast was from eight thirty till eleven so really convenient for early or late risers

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the high street with a bow window ,would go for that again
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sargeantdavid
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Went to Back Bear Hotel this May 2013 and stayed three nights. We understand new owners which have refurbished the rooms which we found comfortable. Family run, so you get the extra pampering and definite caring as if you are guests in their home not given rules of the Inn. We being from the USA have different standards and arrived with needs which were definitely met. Used their computer and made reservations for tours and arrangements which would be for later on our trip and they were very helpful. The fish and chips were wonderful. The homemade macaroni and cheese was to die for. They let me change the side dishes on other plates so I could have the macaroni and cheese almost for every meal with our stay. They aimed to please which is of definite importance when you are away from home!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 June 2013

Just stayed overnight at the Black Bear Hotel in Wareham - very expensive for bed and breakfast - stayed in London cheaper. Friendly staff on arrival, however, have to check out by 10.00a.m. but breakfast is until 11.00. Asked to vacate room and then go to breakfast!!! Room, very small, 4ft 6'' bed, tiny for two adults - bed squeaked, springs coming through, not at all comfortable. en-suite - well, lets just say that my husband had to turn sideways to get into the shower, more like a cupboard than an en-suite. One of those funny toilets that makes very very loud noises when you pull the chain, trouble is the noises continue after 10 minutes then again after another 10 - little bit disconcerting when you are trying to sleep and the noise just happens!! Fan in the bathroom is very loud and you can hear the noises coming from the other rooms with their 'noisy toilets' and 'noisy fans.' Also 'ensuite' smelt as though somebody had been smoking in there!!!!

Room Tip: Look around for cheaper bed and breakfast places - friends stayed in cheaper, better accommodation.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jan T
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Although staff were friendly, the service at breakfast was awful with simple requests for milk being forgotten etc. There was a fight between the punters and it was very noisy. Rooms need complete refurbishment. Noise doesn't stop until after 12,30am. Very expensive for what is effectively a hostel in bad condition. Keep away.

Room Tip: Quite simply go elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank BMD29
lyn29396, Owner at The Black Bear Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2013

the review written 12 may "friendly and welcoming" was written by a guest staying at the same time strange how 2 reviews can be so different isn't it !!!!!!!