“£1.00 to transport a pastry 2 metres?”

Long Crichel Bakery
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Wimborne
Dorset, UK
“£1.00 to transport a pastry 2 metres?”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

This nice little bakery shop is divided into two with a small cafe to the right of the bakery counter. I called in here for tea and cake with a friend in the summer of 2011. I had bought bread here before and also called into Long Crichel. My expectations were high and I already knew that it would be quite expensive. Salads and light lunches are tasty and fresh. The decor is up to date and the retained stone flooring is lovely... but you can't eat it, no matter how hungry you get!
Suffice to say, after ordering tea for 2 and 1 cake and 1 scone...we were kept waiting for a VERY long time. One very efficient waitress 'helped' by two 'charming', male and female students. First we were were brought a cheese scone, with jam and cream, and had to explain in words of few syllables to the young female that it wasn't right, though she doubted us. More time passed. Male 'chef' appeared to apologise, and to say that they had run out of plain scones. So we asked for a pastry from their bread counter. This did arrive sooner than the initial order, fortunately! Hungry and envious eyebrows were raised by the other clientele.... Having spent too long waiting for our order, we hungrily devoured our snack and i decided not to risk waiting for the bill , but to walk over and chase it up from the downstairs 'kitchenette'. There i was charged and extra £1.00. This was to cover the cost of taking the pastry off the bakery shelf, putting it on a plate and serving it to me at our table only 2 metres away.. !!!!!!!! need i say more. I did express my shock to the chef, who was flitting about trying to salvage what pride he could from the increasingly disgruntled customers....i haven't been back yet to see if he took my advice. Lordy lordy! This is Wimborne not Chelsea! get real guys... if you value your jobs! Its sad, as there is lots of competition in this lovely town. Quality food and surroundings are not much use, if the service doesn't match and the management choose to price so unrealistically. I'd rather keep you, and lose one of the chains!

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank DizzyandTrev

London
“Excellent Cream Tea”
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My partner and I stopped in here one rainy afternoon. I was drawn to the place as I noticed that it sells Monmouth Coffee so I expected the quality of what was on offer to be high. When we walked in we were greeted by a very friendly lady who recommended a cream tea which we both went for - I thought it was a snip at £4 each considering it came with organic clotted cream, two warmed organic scones each, a choice of three jams and a huge pot of tea. The bread on the counter looked as though it was excellent quality and I think they are well within their rights to charge the prices that they do, as you're paying for superior quality food and drink. You can hardly call this place a tourist trap just because it's opposite the Minster and it's more expensive than Greggs. There are plenty of other places to go if you don't want to pay as much. The staff were all really friendly and welcoming and we'll definitely be back again.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank CJ76London
Wimborne
“Brilliant Local Bakery”
Reviewed 12 December 2011

If you value cost over quality look else where. If you want cheap, frozen then microwaved, greasy spoon type food....there is a Weathersppons about to open, if thats want you like.

Fabulous freshly baked breads, cakes and pastries using local produce. Small but lovely homemade menu, both fresh and healthy.

A credit to Wimborne.

• Visited November 2011
Taunton
“Prices in this Cafe are extremely expensive, no wonder it was empty”
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We went for a late breakfast/early lunch and were stunned by the very high prices so settled for just tea and ate elsewhere. It's location just opposite the Minster presumably means it gets trade from gullible first time visitors, like us, as I can't believe that any locals or anyone that's been before would use this cafe. If it was particularly comfortable and welcoming and in Knightsbridge I could just about understand the prices they charge but for a basic cafe, with relatively cramped and uncomfortable seating and tables, it just isn't worth visiting in my opinion.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank MTFTaunton
bath
“Wonderful bakery”
Reviewed 25 November 2011

Went to bakery wow wonderful breads pastries and great customer service!!