“Great Food Great Service”

tap and Railway pub
Ranked #77 of 97 Restaurants in Wimborne
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Great Food Great Service”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Have been here many times, always friendly service with great food.Very Family orientated as it has a play park for the kids, and tables near so you are able to keep an eye on them.

• Visited July 2014

“Excellent meal out with the family”
Reviewed 9 June 2014

With the sun shining we visited a nearby pub for a meal out as too hot too cook. As expected it was busy but we were greeted with a cheery smile and all the staff we encountered were very helpful and friendly. We expected a long wait for our food but got it within 20 mins and it was excellent and portion size was impressive giving great value for money. The lady in charge was very good and we told her we were impressed with everything. Usually you find something that let's a place down but we couldn't fault the food or the staff on this occasion. We will definitely be returning.

• Visited June 2014
verwood
“Another review, and it's not at all that bad as some say”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

My wife and I have visited this pub many times over the past 10 years or so. The Management changed during this time and the pub has had a refurb last year. We have never had a bad meal here! and always find the service, staff, and food very good for the price! If you want 5 star food and 5 star service than go to a 5 star venue!. This pub is part of a chain and we have visited others such as the Swans in Verwood. Now if you want a lousy pub then that is the place to go. we have tried it since new management took over but it's still not good. We will never go back to the Swans. The tap and Railway is offering pub food at pub prices and the staff here have always been fine, I will say that we always go at a reasonable time ie 1pm for a lunchtime meal, or around 7pm for an evening meal, so the food is normally cooked while we wait. I can understand that if you go during mid afternoon the food might be different but we have not been at that time. so can't comment. I was very surprised to read some of the reviews from others and just wanted to put my own review on the site. it takes all sorts, and you can't always please everyone, but we will return again I promise.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank keyboardbrian
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
“Never again! Please read!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

My family, friends and I went to the tap and railway pub last night to see the new year in. Surprisingly we managed to find a table (we were told on the phone all tables had been reserved) and so ordered drinks and £30 worth of sharing platters.
Whilst I was away from the table the food arrived, and with it they had mixed up one of the platters (unknowingly to the people at the table as I had ordered the food).
They began to eat this platter only to be rudely informed that they had been given a different platter intended for a different table and as they had started eating this platter they were going to be charged for it.
When I returned I was unexpectedly handed a bill. I politely told the waitress that if they had made a mistake we was not going to pay for the dish as it was a like for like, as we hadn't got the dish we had ordered. (We were a platter short). This provoked the manager to storm up to our table, start shouting at the top of her voice to us and snatch the dish away from my mother as she was eating it. Our platter we had ordered then got slammed onto the table.
As if the rudeness wasn't bad and humiliating enough, all our food on the platters were luke warm. The chicken wings were dry and unedible and the garlic bread was burnt and unedible too.
We asked on numerous occasions to speak to the manager via the waitress. She refused to come to our table and when walking past would wave her hand, snarling WAIT. She left us waiting THREE hours before she came to finally speak to me. During his time she was floating round the pub speaking to people, swigging vodka out of a bottle and getting more and more drunk. Absolute disgrace.
When she finally did talk to me, there wasn't any talking involved. She was waving her hand in front of my face like a crazed woman, telling us we were in the wrong. We asked for our money back and she threw it at me. I have never been treated so shockingly at any establishment.
This manager, bev, was an absolute drunken disgrace. Her food was appalling, her attitude was disgusting, the place was filthy. Toilets didn't flush, no hand soap, dryers didn't work and floors were slippery.
Even with the money back for the meal, we still gave the pub over £100 of trade. We all work in customer service jobs or with the public, and if we had spoken to people like she had spoken to us, undoubtedly we would have been dismissed from our jobs. I will never go back there and advise you to avoid like the plague.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Char G
midlands
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I have visited this pub before and have been impressed but not this time.
I visited with a relative and the place was very busy. we were told that there would be a 30 minute wait for the food which was fine. The serving staff were efficient and polite although I do think there should be some sort of dress code for the waitresses. One girl spent most of the time trying to pull at her skirt to try to lengthen it. Not a pretty sight.
We did wait a little longer for the food and when it arrived the presentation was awful and the quality even worse. Greasy chips and overcooked fish. The fish was grey in appearance and to be fair I was glad not to be too hungry so didn't mind leaving some. Front of house staff let down by the quality of the food

• Visited November 2013