“Car parking is a problem”
Review of Kings Head Hotel

Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wimborne
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Reception very helpful, served a good pint of beer in bar, room itself was average, good choice for breakfast but coffee could have been more plentiful. Car parking is a real problem at this hotel and needs sorting out. The car park is much too small and inaccessible and I suspect is used by non residents of the hotel. Wimborne Minster has a good range of restaurants so eating out isn't a problem. Hotel felt in need of a refurbishment but was generally clean and warm. Over the bath Shower had one of those cheap curtains that seem to get blown toward you once the shower is running. Would have been disappointed if I'd taken my wife there but OK for a business trip.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
OldEnglishInns, Manager at Kings Head Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for your constructive feedback some good points which
we can use to develop and improve our customer experience

Reviewed 21 April 2013

My wife and I often have Sunday lunch in the Kings Head in Wimborne Square. The food is always good and excellent value for money! The staff are really kind but theres just not enough of them and this often leads to slow service. Last week they were so busy are food went cold waiting for condiments.
The restaurant and bar decor is dated and tired looking in areas but clean. The bar is also sensibly priced with quite a good selections of wine.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the constructive feedback which we always welcome to
improve our guest experience

Reviewed 18 April 2013

Not many hotels around Wimborne and so if you go there choose the King's Head. I stayed there two nights in a superior room with four poster bed and lounge area with a view onto the main square. Wimborne Minster is a beautiful town and to see the market unfold from your bedroom through tall Georgian (?) windows was lovely. Food is good and reasonably priced, breakfast lovely.

The bed was absolutely gorgeous to sleep in.

Room Tip: Go for the superior room overlooking the square.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Great feedback Thank you. Look forward to seeing you again soon

Reviewed 16 April 2013

We've just returned from 4 nights at this hotel and we had a really fabulous time. The staff made it, they could not be faulted. A lovely breakfast was served very swiftly and efficiently by very friendly staff and it was great to have your toast brought to the table rather than having to stand over a temperamental toaster for what can seem like an eternity. Plenty of fresh fruit, cereals, juices, pastries, croissant and then a great choice of cooked breakfast too .... an excellent start to the day.
The room was large and the bed very comfortable and whilst the hotel was a little dated and tired looking I understand it is due to be refurbished in August which will be the icing on the cake. The hotel fell silent until 7am when the traffic noise and creaky floorboards woke us up, but we were happy waking at that time and so this didn't bother us at all.
The whole staff from the welcome we had at reception, the bar, the breakfast room and the house-keeping staff should be patted on the back as not one of them let the team down. Thank you for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback. Glad you had a enjoyable stay and we look forward
to welcoming you back soon

Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on a Friday in a single room. We arrived at 13.45 and there was know one to greet us on reception so we phoned the number listed next to a phone to check in. We were abruptly told on the phone we would have to wait until 14.00 to check in (rather rudely as well).

Once checked in, me into a single and some friends in a double, we went upstairs to our rooms. I was greeted immediately by what looked like a coffee stain down the wall. The walls were all dirty and the room looked like it needed a good refurb!! The decor was very plain and lifeless. I felt like I was in a hostel not a lovely hotel.

On the plus side he bathroom was tidy and neat and the bath water was lovely and hot. Sleeping wasn't great as the light from outside my room kept me up (I put my jeans on the floor to hide the light). Also the quilt was too short and didnt cover my feet. I'm only five foot four so this shouldn't have been an issue.

Breakfast was well stocked and the menu had lots to choose from, as well as the cereals, pastries and fruit. Sadly the room did not have a kettle or tea/coffee which I expected to have at £75 a night, should of been provided.

On check out I mentioned the state of my room and was told I should of said something and would of been moved. He then generously gave me 50% off my room price, which was unexpected but much appreciated.

Our friends in another room had a lovely bed and lovely spacious room so I guess I just lucked out. Very glad a didnt pay the full £75 as it was not worth it!

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel, apologise on this occasion we
did not live up to your expectations.

Reviewed 13 April 2013

Took advantage of Old English Inns special deals over the Easter week-end only £14.95pppn including an excellent breakfast !! Located in main square with private parking ideal as a base to explore Wimborne with the Minster, local shops, tea rooms and market. Further afield but only a short drive is Corfe Castle, Bradbury Rings, Kingston Lacey all NT and also Poole and Bournemouth are easily accessible and both are an excellent day out with Harbour/Marina and great beach in Bournemouth A bonus on the first night was live music at the King's Head a local band called " Lost at Sea " who were very good and if you're local try and see. .All in all with the sun actually making an appearance a great weekend.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback. The team at the Kings Head are pleased
that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back
in the near future

Reviewed 8 April 2013

Took overseas visitors to The Kings Head for a mid-week lunch. It looks nice on the outside but we were very saddened by the inside.
I don't like sitting at a draughty table so we moved away from the window. New table was dirty and sticky. YUK!!! It had been 'cleaned!"
Service was slow and poor. Then we had to walk a long distance to order and pay for our drinks!!!
The food was cruddy. Very basic and only luke warm.
Service poor although the waiting staff seemed very keen to please.
Ambience non-existence.
Whoever chose the paint colours on the walls needs shooting. Are they colour blind?
This was a lovely old building that has been ruined...over time.
Somebody get in there, please, and look at the age and style of the building and do something more sympathetic.
My overall impression was finally destroyed by having to circumnavigate the local drunk who was propping up the bar while I tried to pay the bill...horrible experience. He was lolling by the till so I couldn't avoid him. Why can't the waiting staff take money nearer to the restaurant and away from the fume breathing drunk?
Are you a bar, a hotel, a restaurant or a grotty dive? I wasn't really sure.
Maybe we hit a bad day.
Maybe we'll try it again another day.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

We welcome both positive and negative feedback so we can constantly
improve our guest experience. Apologies that on this occasion we did not
live up to your expectations

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimborne
The Minster Arms
Riviera Hotel & Holiday Apartments
Thistle Poole
Thistle Poole
#6 of 13 in Poole

Been to Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!