“What a shame!”
Review of Kings Head Hotel

Kings Head Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wimborne
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We booked a 2 night stay to visit friends in the area. We opted for the twin room, as we are used to a super king size bed, and the only alternative was a standard double. The staff are all brilliant, and we really appreciated the relaxed and cheerful atmosphere. However, based on being a light sleeper, our room had the most squeaky floorboards in the universe...and just a short walk to the bathroom was enough to wake the dead. Our 2 nights cost £155 for bed and breakfast, yet despite being recently refurbished, there is no air conditioning .....even cheaper modern hotels have this as standard. It had been a beautiful day, with the sun shining directly into our room, so I opened the window, which overlooked the street. So, with the clock chiming every hour, the usual street noises, the bin collection at 5.30AM, and the high temperature of the bedroom, we sallied forth to our day feeling worn out and jaded. The receptionist promised us a fan for the forthcoming night, which helped a little, but really only blows warm air around....and makes a noise! If you like the quirks that are part of the character of the hotel....go ahead, but we will find something else, so that we get up ready and raring to go, rather than feel we have paid a lot for a poor nights sleep. And wifi was available if you were prepared to open an account with the cloud....so the options offered on Trip Advisor do not match the reality of free wifi.

Room Tip: If you want A/C...book somewhere else. We had room 9, nicely decorated, but oh! Those floorboards...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 17 July 2014

In need of somewhere to lunch yesterday, whilst my husband and I looked round Wimborne, I wanted somewhere simple, straight forward and offering good value for money. We spotted the lunch time offer at the Kings Head. We were very pleased with our choice. There were plenty of options from the set menu and we chose the fish and chips. The staff were pleasant and the food arrived quickly and was delicious! The portion size was ample for lunch and we thought the value for money was excellent. Pleasant surroundings, and food being served to other diners looked very nice too. We will definitely go there again.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I (plus Yorkshire Terrier) spent five days at The Kings Head last week. We have stayed at this hotel several times before and find it to be good value Three Star. A refurbishment was carried out last year and the hotel is, therefore, in quite good repair with just a few exceptions. Our stay coincided with a hot spell and unfortunately the rooms become very, very hot and sleep is somewhat difficult as certain rooms face the Minster and with your window open at night you get the church clock chiming every fifteen minutes. Not a problem in the winter though. We were on the second floor and this was a problem due to the lift being out of service ( the send time, for us). The hotel is clean and the bar and restaurant are good but the typical pub menu is a little restricted if staying for more than a night or two. The staff are very good and obliging, with waitress Aly being the only exception. If some of our comments are negative, then one must remember that this is a 200 year old former coaching
Inn, To summarise, this is a good value for money hotel in a lovely position right on the Town Square and We would recommend it to anyone needing modest, town centre accommodation at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking out on the main square.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

2 night stay in this hotel. Room was very spacious, good lighting. Bed comfortable but spoilt by cheap and nasty pillows. Housekeeping needs to be looked at, grubby finger prints on doors and frames, bath mat black with mildew. Parking a little problematic, not enough spaces. Food was good however and close proximity to shops and Wimborne Minster made this hotel a good choice for us.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Husband and I popped in for late lunch today.First visit to Wimborne so thought we would try the Kings Head.Lovely inside and lots of young staff floating about.Picked our food from menu & food came out after short wait but........... i had chilli,which can out luke warm & i can honestly say i have tasted better from a ready meal & husband had chicken breast,his meal was hot but very small portion.If you are going to do deals to get customers in at least give good quality,decent sized dishes to get customers to come back again.Needless to say we wont be going back again.Very poor.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Went for a Sunday roast. Trued to book for 8.30pm told very busy can we make 7.45. Got there place was nearly empty!
Ordered roast for £11 very long wait. Waitress was good.
Roadt came meat was ok but roast pudding took up most of the plate with little room for vegtables.
Red cabbsge was a soggy mess the couple of small roast potatoes were dried up and overcooked with just a tiny parsnip. Not impressed at all.No sweet included.
Plenty of pubs nearby doing roasts better from £6.95 will not be going here again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank woody2shoe
Reviewed 8 June 2014

we were in Wimbourne in Dorset and wanted some lunch. I had my dog with me . whom I love very much (a toy poodle) I always leave him in the car . with the window open and the sunblind on the front of the car. we went in and shortly after ordering the manager came to me and asked me did I have a dog in a car in the car park. I said yes. He said would you bring him in as he had had several complaints from residents about a dog jumping up and down in the car .
I brought him into the Hotel and he sat with me while I ate my lunch . not a noise out of him . he is a very good boy . what a friendly hotel ,as I didn't like to ask them could I bring him in .
I was so happy to have had lunch there ,as I don't like to take liberties.
he sat with his daddy and enjoyed his stay at the hotel . I would love to go back and stay at this hotel as they were so caring . Royston Gould

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Royston G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wimborne
Les Bouviers Rooms
#1 of 2 in Blandford Forum
Norfolk Royale Hotel
Norfolk Royale Hotel
#23 of 66 in Bournemouth

Been to Kings Head Hotel? Share your experiences!