“Lovely little cafe but sadly let down by poor quality English breakfast”
Review of La Vie En Rose

La Vie En Rose
Ranked #15 of 97 Restaurants in Wimborne
Cuisines: French, Cafe, British, European
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
England
“Lovely little cafe but sadly let down by poor quality English breakfast”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I've enjoyed several lunches at this charming up-market looking/feeling café, but was disappointed with their English breakfast, which unfortunately had more similarity with a roadside greasy spoon offering. I had expected may be one good quality sausage and similar quality bacon plus eggs etc. Instead I had two rather poor quality mass-catering style sausages accompanied by truly bland tasteless limp bacon and awash with beans. The two eggs were fine though. The emphasis seemed to be on plait-fill rather than a tasty, wholesome breakfast, but to be fair if judged by quantity alone it was reasonable value. Disappointing long-life orange juice, as opposed to freshly squeezed or even 'Tropicana fresh-ish' juice, joined the list.

One could rightly say that a full English breakfast is not what one would usually expect from a French-leaning eatery so what does one expect? Well may be so. I don't want to be too harsh as I otherwise like this café, which really does add to the lovely 'feel' of Wimborne town. All that said, I think that La Vie en Rose should be raising the bar a bit if they want to offer an English breakfast. Why not a plump single good quality tasty sausage, instead of two naff sausages, and local full-flavour dry cured bacon (which hasn't been stuffed with water) from our local butcher, plus a single large field mushroom, fried bread & an egg, as one would usually expect form an establishment seemingly catering for the more discerning clientele? I for one would happily pay more for reasonable quality for we all want this valuable addition to our town to flourish.

• Visited July 2014
6 Thank The Worl Explorer

New York City, New York
“French Heaven”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I have nothing but praise for this fabulous little corner of France in the local town.
Fred and his team are a joy to see and with such an exquisite menu full of delights - I and my friends find ourselves counting down the days until the next visit.

The crêpes are très très magnifique!

Pooch friendly it's just like being in Paris. Highly recommended for all.

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank m h
Wimborne
“Delightful!”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We, (hubby and I) have eaten here many times. Always a lovely welcoming smile from the French owner and lovely, tasty, well presented food.
My girlfriends love this place too. Its a favourite watering hole when we drop in, exhausted from all the shopping, for lunch and a rest!
I love the homemade soups. The quiches are terrific, Croque Monsieur is fabulous, pate and salads are wonderful...but the best bit is that the prices are so reasonable. I think we have had something different every time we have eaten there. We keep coming back for more so they are definitely doing something right!

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank BellaWimborne
“Best cafe in Wimborne Minster”
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

This is a spacious cafe on one of Wimborne's main streets The owner is French and his French wife cooks much of the food. Staff are superb. The café menu is extensive; try one of the quiches which are to die for. Both French and English breakfast are served all day. The café is open all day but closed on Sundays

1 Thank Judith W
Wimborne, United Kingdom
“a little bit of France in Wimborne”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Met friends for lunch last week, booked a table on line, and were welcomed by the owner. We really enjoyed our meal, lovely crepes and croque monsieur. Only a very small criticism, more a suggestion really, a glass of red would have gone down well, maybe a licence?. A very friendly unusual place in the eating capital of Dorset!

• Visited June 2014