“Vibrant”

The Squash Court (Deans Court Cafe)
Ranked #35 of 107 Restaurants in Wimborne
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Catchy music, happy staff and a gorgeous cafe with quirky industrial touches made my overall experience of a chilled out lunch all the nicer!
My salad with edible flowers and haloumi looked lovely and was very tasty.
Thank you Squash Court.

2  Thank Vee12014

Reviewed 3 May 2014

My partner and I had a delicious lunch today at this lovely cafe in Wimborne. The homemade quiche and homegrown salad made for an ample and very tasty meal. It was followed by their homemade chocolate and beetroot cake which was equally delicious. We also visited The Squash Court Store which always has a lovely little something to buy - this time their colourful glass tumblers.

1  Thank Michelle I
Reviewed 14 April 2014

On first appearances it looks a pretty little place. Once sat we gave our order and the drinks came first with quite a wait for the 2 salads ordered. Wasn't impressed with the same person plating the food with her bare hands and inbetween breaking off to handle money and constantly tucking her hair back behind her ears. Haloumi and avocado salad was minus the avocado and when this was pointed out the reply was oh sorry theres not enough left. (the bill was adjusted to allow for this). Had to ask for napkin but only 1 person was given one and it seems that unless you ask no one gets one.
A plate of leaves and a few slices of tomato were not really what was expected. Needs to have a little more thought to make it a bit more interesting.
And certainly a lot more thought about simple hygiene rules.

Visited April 2014

2  Thank valG13
Kelly B, Manager at The Squash Court (Deans Court Cafe), responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Thank you very much for your feedback and observations on your visit to the Squash Court Cafe.

Your comments about both the food and the hygiene are very useful to us and we would like to apologise for the disappointment of your visit to the cafe.

It is a strict policy in the cafe that staff do not handle cash and food without washing their hands in between, in accordance with the 'Food Hygiene Level 2' course that all our staff are required to take. It is also part of our procedural guidance to staff that if we run out of any ingredients, customers must be informed at the point when they place an order. Unfortunately, it appears that on the day in question the cafe was very understaffed, and that the member of staff who served you was clearly not following protocol in the rush to meet demand. We have taken the appropriate action with that member of staff, but I should point out that she was clearly under great pressure, and she should have had more back-up.

In order to predict the fluctuating flows of business in the cafe and to deploy the correct numbers of staff, we have a till system that analyses customer numbers and food consumption trends throughout the week. It appears that on the day in question the cafe had a 'random spike' - at the end of the day the number of covers and food consumption was 300% above average and I am afraid that the members of staff on duty were clearly finding it difficult to keep up.

The cafe is, as you probably understand, a relatively new venture and we are finding our feet and striving to streamline our service and maintain the highest standards in hygiene.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the experience you had that day. Your custom is highly valued and we do hope that you will return to enjoy all the good things about the cafe. As a gesture of goodwill may we offer you, and your companion on that day, a complimentary lunch? If you would like to phone us with a date we will reserve a table for you both.

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Nice decor and menu, but there are are some basics to learn. We ordered salads, which arrived without all the advertised ingredients. Mine consisted of leaves, tomatoes, halloumi, but avocado missing. My friend's salad was leaves, tomato and ham. Not very exciting. To be fair when asked we were told an adjustment would be made to the bill, but I would have ordered something different. No napkins....when requested I was given one, but not my friend! On a hygiene side, there are a few issues, one being preparing food and handling money. I think they had been very busy and possibly need more staff, but we were both disappointed. Other food served to the next table looked nice, but the hygiene issues spoilt it for us. Not keen to return.

1  Thank PebsDorset
Reviewed 29 March 2014

The Squash Court is a great little find in Wimborne - slightly tucked away from the main town but signposted with a couple of chalk boards, down Deans Court Lane ( at the side of Holmans electrical shop). Its well worth exploring as there's a lovely light and airy interiors shop which is full of unusual gift wrap, cards, present ideas and homewares. I bought 2 colourful coat hook men - perfect for children's coats and more likely to appeal than plain metal ones! They also have a quirky range of clothing so definitely worth a browse.
Opposite the shop is the coffee shop, its quite small but would be lovely to sit outside once the weather improves. The atmosphere was relaxed and friendly and the cakes were delicious! I had the courgette, lemon and poppy seed which was gorgeous and my husband had the banana bread.
This is a lovely cafe to take a break in whilst shopping or meeting friends in Wimborne it has a very unrushed atmosphere and gives you a lovely different view of Wimborne on your return. Hope it goes from strength to strength!