“Fantastic wedding! ! ”
Review of Ballygally Castle

Ballygally Castle
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ballygally
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

We just wanted to say a big big thank you to all the staff at the ballygally castle for our wedding day. Particularly Scott who listened to all our requests for the finer details! Our wedding was perfect for us in every way and we have had great feedback from our guests. The location, drinks and food at the Ballygally was perfect! The renovation is first class! Katrina&Barry

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Barry B
Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We live locally and called in for a drink as it was a lovely evening and we knew the hotel had just been refurbished.

There is no bar other than the one that is right next to the function room, as there was a wedding going on we felt like we were intruding on the wedding.

The view from the bar is lovely, but as there were 2 transit vans parked in front of the window the only other focal point of the bar was the TV.

We sat down and had to ask for a cloth to clean the tables as they were filthy, even though there were a number of bar staff behind the bar.

There is no atmosphere in the hotel and to be honest it doesn't fell like a hotel at all, more like a visitors centre, the furniture is not welcoming and i think if a good interior designer were to take a look at things there could be big improvement on the space.

To add insult to injury I was charged over £8 for a glass of wine, I don't mind paying prices like that if you were sitting in luxurious surroundings, but sitting in hard sets looking at transit vans out the window - definitely wont be in a hurry back.

Would suggest the management pay more attention to the customer experience

2  Thank ScottyLarne
Stephen P, Manager at Ballygally Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear ScottyLarne,

I fully acknowledge that you are not approving of our choice of decor and thank you for your feedback.

I am sorry that you found the service in our lounge to be lacking.

You may rest assured that your comments have been given due consideration and attention.

I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please feel free to contact me at gm@bgc.hastingshotels.com

Sincerely

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and i stayed here on18.06.14 for her birthday. Hotel recently refurbished and rooms are very nice with lovely comfortable bed. We booked dinner in garden restaurant and opted for table d'hote menu which was 3 courses for £30 per head. For starter I had mushroom soup which was nothing special, had ordered minestrone but there was none left. My wife had chicken caesar salad which was ok, however her main of pork belly was disappointing. We think for the price the mains should come with at least one side but they don't. Pork belly just came with a little red cabbage and that's it, and just one slice of very fatty pork belly. Well I guess the fat is the nature of it but it definitely wasn't a big meal. The restaurant manager also seemed disinterested, maybe he had a long day. My wife was breastfeeding so ordered a becks blue which was luke warm. We pointed this out and another one came and was the same. In the end my wife didn't drink it. Not hard to chill beer. We went down for breakfast quite late but before it finished and whilst it was of good quality and quantity it wasn't all hot and bacon a little over cooked. Maybe it was as we were last down who knows. Coffee wasn't particularly nice either. After check out we order a tea and a coffee which cost 3.50 and 4 pounds respectively, a bit steep I thought. Now I would expect that or more at the merchant etc but not ballygalley. I know they have a refurbishment to pay for, but they have really put prices up I think. Not value for money so we won't hurry back. We had high expectations having eaten there before and really enjoyed but not this time unfortunately.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mrlucky09
Stephen P, General Manager at Ballygally Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Mrlucky09,

We appreciate your candid feedback. I am sorry that we failed to impress you upon your recent stay with us.

You may rest assured that we take your comments very seriously and have taken action regarding the issues you have raised.

You experience is not indicative of what one might expect of 'the Castle' and I do hope you will provide us with another opportunity, allowing us to recover our position, in your judgement.

Should you wish to discuss this experience with me in further detail, please feel free to contact me directly at gm@bgc.hastingshotels.com

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hubby and myself looking forward to have something tasty to eat following a gorgeous long walk along the coast. We arrived at the hotel approx 6.35 p.m on Monday evening to be informed by the waiter in the bar area that after 6.30 pm there would be nothing available in that area of hotel except "finger food". We found finger food menu very limited but decided to order the cheese platter and mini burger. Despite the Hotel not being busy there was a long delay before the food arrived. I had asked the young waiter could the blue cheese on the platter be replaced with another variety. This was overlooked. No side plate was provided and when the coffee did not arrive my hubby went to ask the young waiter who apologised as he had obviously forgotten about it. While waiting again for the coffee my hubby went to Reception area to enquire about rates at the Hotel and was advised he would have to look online. Not particularly helpful!
Overall the food was overpriced and average. The staff at the hotel could do with some training on customer service.

4  Thank plantwoman1

Dear plantwoman1,

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you found our service to be lacking on this occasion and assure you that we have discussed and addressed this.

With regards to our menu offerings and times of service, we have heard what you have said and will continue to review these aspects of our operation.

Should you wish to discuss this matter in further detail, please feel free to contact me directly at gm@bgc.hastingshotels.com

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

We recently booked through alpharooms last min , we hours before we arrived on a busy Saturday evening with a wedding in full swing , our booking didn't seem to go through but the hotel staff assured us they would get us a room and a superior family room with 3 large beds and they were thee most comfortable I have ever slept in , we thought we would take a drive along the antrim coast for dinner as we had ate numerous times in the hasting hotels boy were we sorry. , we drove to larne and with a lot of difficultly eventually found a Chinese of the poorest standard . We were so sorry we hadn't ate in the ballygally as we had heard so many good reviews on it . However we did have an amazing breakfast here with dedicated friendly staff , the cooked breakfast overlooking their stunning grounds was a downton abbey experience , one that we have encountered in many of the Hastings before , we had a helpful check in and check out with a dark haired girl whom I cannot remember her name but she was very nice , we stayed on the 7th of June and checked in around 8pm and nothing was any trouble to her she was working with a man called Scott equally as helpful but I felt she went the extra mile when our booking hadn't come in from alpharooms and given they had a fully booked hotel with the wedding party ,she put us at ease. Stunning drive along the coast and a visit to the ghost room is a must :-)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank monica m
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Situated on the shore looking out on the Irish Sea, this is a place that is good for the soul. The Antrim Coast road is beautiful and to wake up looking forward to seeing that view from my bedroom window was a fabulous treat. The hotel is lovely from the outside and we were not disappointed when we entered. Our welcome at reception was warm and friendly as were all our encounters with staff.
We had a deluxe sea view room which was newly refurbished. It had lots of space, a huge comfortable bed and Espa goodies in the ensuite. We were very comfortable and wish we could have stayed longer.
Breakfast was taken in a lovely dinning room looking out to the gardens. I especially enjoyed the porridge with cream, honey and Bushmills whiskey. There was a good choice and staff were again helpful and friendly.
We also had lunch in the bar and would recommend their seafood chowder and panini with mozzarella, bacon and pear chutney. Delicious!
We loved our too short stay here and would love to return soon. Fabulous Irish hospitality.
P.s. Don't miss the ghost room in the tower. Very atmospheric.

Room Tip: View from the deluxe sea view rooms - superb. The tower rooms seem to have more character, but don...

Dear Mags5002013,

Thank you for your kind words of praise. You may rest assured that we truly appreciate your positive review of Ballygally Castle.

I have shared your recommendation with our team members and highlighted your praise of their warmth and friendliness.

We look forward to your return.

Again, thank you for your review of Ballygally Castle.

Sincerely

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Ballygally Castle is a nice welcoming hotel. The rooms are nice and quiet. The beds are extremely comfortable and the views of the sea are incredible. We had wonderful dinner at the hotel which serves local cuisine and the breakfast was very good as well. We visited the haunted room in the tower. It has an eerie feeling but that's about it. The rest of the hotel is not in the tower and, though it is historic, it is well maintained. The castle is close to several Northern Ireland sites like the Giant's Causway, Dunluce Castle and Carrick-a-Rede rope bridge. The drive through the Glens of Antrim were beautiful. It was also a quick drive (45 minutes) to the Belfast Airport.

Room Tip: Spend more time in the area it's beautiful.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Stephen P, General Manager at Ballygally Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear PheonixJill,

Thank you for your kind comments. We are truly appreciative of the time and effort you have taken to share your positive experience of Ballygally Castle.

Yours Sincerely,

Stephen Perry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballygally
Galgorm Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Carnlough
Curran Court Hotel
Curran Court Hotel
#1 of 1 in Larne

Been to Ballygally Castle? Share your experiences!