“afternoon tea in the river room”

Gillies Bar & Grill
Ranked #8 of 160 Restaurants in Ballymena
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2014

A part of the River Room that is available for afternoon tea is really quite beautiful and very comfortable. It is not very big, and the seats located can very much donate the enjoyment of the view. In fact, one may not have a view of the river at all but a view to the entrance to the room and the staff organizing the delivery of food, tea and drinks.

There are around 5 tables for two whereby each couple can have a view. Otherwise, the tables for two will have one with a view and the other facing the service area. The rotunda in the middle is nice, again if you can sit on the side with a river view.

Excellent overhead view through the glass ceiling on a lovely day.

Having had afternoon tea in quite a few places throughout Ireland, notwithstanding that I am happy to pay extravagant prices for this pleasure, I cannot recommend the afternoon tea at Galgorm as one not to be missed. The sandwiches were miserly, at best, and not very tasty, the scones, not up to standard of Northern Ireland, the cakes (little pieces that they were) were not outstanding at all. There were "little" soup and salad starters.

Also, despite, the afternoon tea diners not being well packed with people, the service was so slow I thought that we should all get up and ask if we could help. Now, the service people were very pleasant, but we were asking on a continuous basis, if they could bring some tea, when would the food come etc.

We asked for some glasses of water, never got them until we were about to leave. When we did ask for them over and over again, each server said yes, such and such will be right back and then everyone disappeared.

We ordered two bottles of Prosecco, by the time it all came, we hardly wanted it any more.

A party of 8 people, who frequent Galgorm a lot, won't be back for the afternoon tea. It probably only worked out because we were nice people who had overseas guests and were hoping to make it a hit.

2  Thank Patsypai

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I ate lunch and supper here. The food was pretty good, but not anything fantastic - lunch menu (chilli con carne & berry meringue better than the dinner al a carte (mozzarella balls and steak). However both were spilt by the terrible choice of wines. I tried Sauvignon blancs, Pinot Grigio, White Zinfandels, all were cheap and tangy. The sort of wine I drank in my early 20s. A shame.

2  Thank ToniaOC
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Was really pleased with my recent visit to Gillie's at the galgorm for lunch which was included in my spa package. The staff were friendly and the atmosphere was very relaxed despite my assumption that I wasn't fancy enough for the Galgorm, I didn't feel out of place at all, even though I was eating by myself. There was also a magician that Sunday to entertain tables while they waited for their lunch which was a nice touch. I ordered the chicken schnitzel which was delicious and the perfect amount of food considering I had a spa day ahead of me! Would recommend a visit if you feel like treating yourself!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Was there yesterday for the £10 special, at 5.30 pm. Had a walk around the beautiful grounds, so clean and tidy. The surroundings and the restaurant itself were very clean, tidy and the staff very attentive. I had a beautiful meal with a glass of wine included. No rushing out as soon as your meal was finished. Excellent service, and the decor was fine. There are offers on for the spa and a meal, which I fully intend to use.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My friend and I are both celebrating a special birthday this month so had afternnon tea in the River Room. We were not disappointed at all!!! Everything was first class. So much attention to detail....the sweets were delightful.Table 25 had fab views of the River Maine and it was fun watching the wedding parties have their photos taken on the swing by the fast flowing river. We will be back! I bet the view is stunning in winter!