“Slighty Run Down but comfortable and clean”

Leighinmohr House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Slighty Run Down but comfortable and clean”
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Stayed one night in August and enjoyed it throughly.
The hotel is not the most modern or fashionable but still a good and comfortable place to stay.
Really nice bar with good atmosphere.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Lucy W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I will NEVER return to this hotel in my life purely for the fact I have never received such awful service in all my life, the place was a dive but my biggest problem was with the man who was running the building on the night of my 'stay' I have NEVER received treatment like that from anyone, I felt worthless with the way he talked to me and he is the type of man I would not want near me again as he was so rude, I won't recommend this hotel to anyone and I will not be shy in telling anyone exactly the type of treatment i received from him, DISGUSTED

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Ellek92
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 July 2011

My daughter and I arrived too early for check in but was offered an alternative room which we accepted. The reception staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were shown to our room after asking for directions.

The room was clean and comfy if basic.Tea n coffee making facilities, TV, trouser press, shower gel, shampoo etc. The shower REALLY needs to be replaced as it took me 10mins messing about with it for the right temp! Very annoying! The room had a boring view but it was of no consequence to us.

After settlln in we went off to the Carvery..The food was amazing! The staff were so attentive. The array of food/dessert choice was immense! and the dining room was light and airy.

We used room service for our breakfast and the staff were polite, though forgot the salt, milk, spoons and had to do 2 trips before we could settle down and eat..but they were suitable sorry and this was soon forgiven. The breakfast was tasty.

The location is not good for those that want to 'party' nearby as it is in a residential area, but if you want peace and quiet the hotel is perfect for just that. You would need a cab/car to get to any sign of 'life'.

The hotel bar is small and cosy...the lobby is stylish..and the actual building is just gorgeous! but what made this trip so good was the service of the staff. They made us feel special and looked after.
but I have to be fair and state that my daughter is a minor TV celeb which became common knowledge as soon as we arrived at the hotel so I dont know if we were given preferential treatment because of this fact or not...but my gut instincts predict that the staff would treat everyone in the same way :)

Would I go back??? Most definately.. With bells on if I could choose aroom with a view and a shower

Room Tip: Ask for the best room, you may even get it
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SuzieLondon64
banbridge
Reviewed 9 July 2011

My partner and i were travelling along with my sister and her partner for a wedding at a nearby hotel.
on arriving at the hotel we were told our bill had already been taken out of our account which i thought was very strange as no permission had been given to do so.
the room in which i was staying had no windows, only a fire escape door which we were afraid to open in case of alarms.
bedsheets were very basic and the bed was extremely small and uncomfortable. the decor was extremely dated and basic,
in the morning i attempted to go for a shower, the bathroom was dirty and the floor tiles were cracked. the shower head was jus that- a shower head lying in the bath, water was cold and the shower head had to be tilted a certain way to even work.
there was nowhere to hang the shower head- maybe because the roof was at a slant an i couldn't stand, therefore i had to sit down and shower (i am only 5" 3', never mind my boyfriend who is 6"7').

on leaving the room my partner and myself called into my sisters room, only down the hall, to discover they had a beautiful room, with beautiful tiled bathroom, power shower and a wooden framed huge bed. having paid exactlythe same price for the night you can imagine my outrage!! would not stay again in a hurry!!could not wait to leave.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
HarryMcMahon, General Manager at Leighinmohr House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2011
Dear Metbolt

Please excuse me for addressing you by your user name and not your own name.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay at the Leighinmohr House Hotel and would like to respond to your criticisms.

With regard to your payment being taken in advance, your reservation was made online and the rate of £39.00 per room which you were charged was only available if fully prepaid at the time of booking. This was clearly stated in the terms and conditions at that time.

Whilst I agree that some of our rooms are starting to show their age, I believe we reflect this in the room rate. We could of course charge a premium for the type of room which your sister had but we have decided not to do this.

I believe that you stayed in one of our attic rooms which indeed do not have windows but as you rightly point out, fire escape doors. I thought that I had spoken to your partner myself and told him that it would be ok to open the fire escape but perhaps I am mistaken.

It is most unusual for us to receive a complaint about the cleanliness of our rooms and I am sorry that you found your bathroom to be less than satisfactory. I will raise this with the housekeeping department.

The shower head is as you say just that. It is not intended to be used as a shower but rather for hair washing. For that reason there is no shower surround or curtain. Reception should have checked on your arrival whether you required a bath or shower. Clearly this did not happen and for that I apologise. I am at a loss to explain the cold water because our attic rooms all display warning signs about the fact that the water is very hot. I have checked it myself to-day and found it to be so. However, I accept that you did not.

I apologise again that you did not enjoy your stay. We do try very hard to provide our guests with an acceptable standard of cleanliness and comfort at a reasonable rate when they stay with us and I am sorry that we failed to deliver this to you and your partner.
Yours sincerely
Harry McMahon
Brit
Reviewed 3 May 2011

Went to Northern Ireland for a family wedding. Hotel looks like an old country house from outside. Lobby and reception area looked comfortable. The first room we were shown I didn't like at all. It was dark with no view and the carpets were threadbare, it was also quite small. My husband went back to reception to see what could be done and the lovely receptionist (Claire) did her utmost to help and found us another room which was much better. This was still a little tired with an old prtable TV with no proper aerial. It's obvious there is no money being spent here as it is in dire need of upgrading. Having said this the staff are very pleasant and can't do enough to help. The breakfasts are amazing and we had one evening meal there which was superb and a very good price.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank growonme
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2010

i stay at this small charming hotel regularly when i have business meeting in the area. The foood at the hotel is second to none, which is very reasonably priced. My favourite has to be the sirloin steak possibly the best in Ireland. The bar and resturant staff cannot do enough to help and make the stay very plesant. The rooms, bar and reception area are very clean and tidy and no faults could be picked at. This hotel is perfectly suited for couples and individuals looking for a relaxing stay. My main concern with my last stay was the other residents, and i would like to say the vincentdepaul review is totally rubish. I was woken by this couple at 5.30am in the morning, they both were banging windows,doors and sreaming abuse at the top of their voices (both were stinking drunk) and i think it would be obvious the would be locked at 5.30am, and as for the night staff being drunk is rubbish, as i stay regularly i know them rather well and both are elderly jolly gentlemen. On this night in paticular when the night staff opened the hotel for the couple, the couple especially the women continued to scream and shout abuse towards the staff, to which the staff reacted professionally. As i have mentioned i known this because my room was at the front of the hotel and above reception and i was awoken by the guests i could hear the outlandish behaviour from this couple.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
3 Thank revsmith
HarryMcMahon, Manager at Leighinmohr House Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2010
Thank you very much for your kind words. We are constantly striving to improve our service to guests. I am sorry that your stay was adversely affected by other guests and hope that this will not prevent you from staying with us in the future.
Harry McMahon
moy
Reviewed 2 November 2010

Let me start by saying, i'm easily pleased. I’ve lost count of the times i've dossed on couches, slept in cars etc. But alas time moves on and now I’m too old for that nonsense. Time to get a hotel. I booked a DOUBLE room here for a wedding in another hotel. When I arrived I was told my TWIN room was ready. I said I booked a double. Receptionist said you couldn’t have there's been no double rooms here for months. I restated that I had definitely booked a double (this was first hotel I tried so if there was none I would have tried somewhere else) Anyway went upstairs and me and my girlfriend were confronted with a room like Ted and Dougals room in Father Ted. All that was missing was the masters of the universe bedspread. I rang down to reception and they again implied I hadn’t booked a double. On leaving we met another couple. They proceeded to tell us that they had booked a double but were rang the day before and told that they now had a twin as there had been a number of double bookings. They were offered a reduced rate. My main problem here is they knew this and tried to say I made a mistake to save them having to offer me the reduced rate. When I rang telling them this they offered me reduced rate but never apologised for trying to deceive me. Anyway we went to wedding and arrived back at 5 in the morning only to find hotel was completely locked up. After banging on doors, ringing hotel etc for 30 minutes (it was freezing) we eventually were confronted by a drunken security guard. We got in and went to bed. 8 o clock the next morning we got woke up by a phone call. Manager shouting at us for waking people up. She said she had gone for a lie down and that’s why we couldn’t get in. I said if we hadnt of woke you up we would have still been standing outside. Also accused us of stealing the key to our room that we had paid for?! I have never had to leave a hotel room key behind reception if going out before. And if it was this hotels policy they should have informed us but they didn’t. Again, no apology for locking us out while she slept and security got drunk. When I went down to settle the bill (which I reluctantly was going to do. I just wanted to get out of there) I was informed they had already taken my money without my authorisation. All in all a really unpleasant experience, Ruined what should have been a relaxing weekend with my girlfriend.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank vincentdepaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Adair Arms Hotel
#5 of 6 in Ballymena
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club
Holiday Inn Express Antrim M2, JCT.1

Been to Leighinmohr House Hotel? Share your experiences!