“Fabulous venue for wedding”

Leighinmohr House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Ballymena
Northern Ireland
“Fabulous venue for wedding”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We hosted our daughters wedding here on 19 July 2012. Throughout the previous years planning the staff of Leighinmohr, and in particular Gwendoline and Harry, could not have been more helpful. As the nerves grew Gwendoline continued to be a voice of reason and calm!
We had many family and friends who had travelled from Scotland, Australia and England who stayed the night before the wedding and were joined by the rest of the family on the wedding night.
On the night before the wedding the late arrivals were warmly greeted by the staff and refreshments provided and the following morning the hotel put on a fabulous hearty "family" breakfast which gave us an opportunity to prepare for the day ahead.
The wedding itself was amazing - the ceremony and reception room was decorated beautifully and was an enchanting place for our daughters big day. The small garden area was perfect for photographs before sitting down to a lovely meal. Later the room was very quickly "turned around" for an evening of dancing and a tasty buffet supper.
At the end of the evening the night porter ensured that non-residents did not "gatecrash" the residents area making sure that those who had "hosted" their own wedding parties in their rooms during the day and early evening had to call it a day. Here's a tip I learned - if you have a ground floor room just drive your car up to the window and transfer the alcohol from the boot into the room - who would have thought! Just beware of the newly painted windowsills which may destroy your trousers!!! What a shame.
The accommodation itself (the bedrooms) is a little dated but very comfortable. (The decor is a leagacy from the previous owners). We also got a fantastic room rate for all our guests which included a full cooked breakfast! I know a couple of the rooms were very warm and it was a beautiful warm, balmy July night which I supose didn't help but overall my family were very content. It is an old building with lots of character and my understanding is that the bedrooms will soon be undergoing refurbishment. I can report that the bridal suite has already been updated and it is beautiful - great taste Gwendoline and good luck with the rest of the rooms.
Would I recommend Leighinmohr for a wedding - absolutely!
Sometimes glitz and glamour cannot make up for the personal touch - watching Gwendoline with her arm around my daughter wiping away her nervous tears more than made up for creaky, uneven stairs - thank you.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank rutemoo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I stayed here as I was attending a wedding. We were allowed to check in early so that we could put our stuff in our rooms before the ceremony began, which was helpful as I had to drive for over an hour to get there. The meal at the reception was amazing, big thumbs up to the chef. And that is where the good points end. After the meal I went to my room to freshen up and thats when I got a good look at the room. You couldnt swing a cat in it. The shower was filthy (I didn,t know you could get black grout), the main door for the room had a big gap at the bottom and the fire door had a gap at the top where it didnt meet the frame, which was ok during the day but made the room freezing a night, subsequently my husband and i both have colds. The walls in the room were supposed to be yellow but were grey with dirt. The floor outside my room slanted badly and it was in the middle of a flight of stairs, which were also slanted. I had to take off my heels to make it down without breaking my neck. Around 11pm I decided to go upstairs to change my shoes, but found all doors from the function room to the main hotel locked. I walked outside (in the cold) to the front door only to find it locked too. I had to bang on the door for about a minute before the women on the desk could be bothered to open it, and when she did she came armed with a clipboard and a bouncer. Only after giving my room number, name and showing proof that I had a room key was I allowed to enter. When I expressed to the member of staff that I thought that it was ridiculous that I didnt have free access to a room that I was paying for, I was flatly told that this was their standard procedure. When I finally got to bed I found it very uncomfortable and broken. The next morning I just wanted to leave, so instead of having to wait any longer than necessary by complaining I paid my bill. It is no wonder this place is going into administration, its a dump!!!!!

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Marion M
Rasharkin
Reviewed 21 July 2012

In November of 2011 our year group hosted a social here. It was our first year bringing it to the Leighinmohr as we wanted to try something new and a woman said her grandfather worked there and he could give us a good discount. Upon arrival i thought the hotel was very nice, however, once in it felt cold and the room lacked a decroative touch. It was extrembly old fashioned.
Ususally we have our Social at the tullyglass and ticket are roughly £20 per head this includes a 4 course meal and free dj. We were promised a discount, so we booked unaware of the full price as management was unable to give us a fixed figure, 3 weeks before the social was to commence they told us it would be £17 per person for a 3 course meal and this didnt include room hire, a dj, lights or speakers! when we sorted a dj and extras out the tickets came out at £25.50 per person, we were shocked and angry if we had of known this there was no way we would have booked it. however it was too late to cancel.
whilst we were walking in staff pointed and laughed and made snarky comments, i felt very self-conscious.
dinner was served half and hour late. the Leighinmohr only gave us one option, chicken, (which was pink and totally unediable). this meant that the vegetarians only had potatoes (which were hard) and overcooked vegatables.
the toliets were not clean on arrival and their was no toliet roll.
i will NEVER be back, the whole night was a disater!

Room Tip: No room will be a good room here! Beware of it at all costs!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Clare M
hampshire uk
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel for two nights to join friends at their daughters wedding.

The hotel itself is very nice with a nice lobby and bar, and the function room is very large with a good dance floor and plenty of seating. Ou room was very spacious but was very hot. It had a large window but as we were on the ground floor we could only open this when we were actually in the room, therefore making it quite difficult to cool it down. Yes the rooms are a little dated but they are clean and have all the amenities that you want. We asked for an iron and this was brought to us very quickly.

All the staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed two very good breakfasts and had a bar meal on one of the days which was very good also. The day of the wedding the food was excellent and served very efficiently by all the staff in attendance. This was a very good venue for the wedding and everything ran very smoothly.

We enjoyed out stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
lurgan
Reviewed 17 July 2012

fawlty towers is the only discription for this hotel nothing worked from the tv to the kettle we were staying here as we were attending a wedding at a nearby hotel ,there was a party of 16 staying and some of the rooms were small to say the least ,well basil fawlty wasnt there as he wouldnt have fitted into the rooms had to get out of bed and turn sideways to get into the toilet..some of the showers didnt work but as we were only there 1 night we waited to we got home to wash ,on the plus side the staff were very friendly an nice especially the night porter whom my brother spent the night with as he couldnt sleep in his room as it was too claustrofobic ,looks lovely from outside and the foyer and bar area seem ok ,just a very old interior ,in need of decorating .at a cost of £75 per night would say this is very bad value for money

Room Tip: twin rooms seemed ok as they had two single beds and were a lot more roomy than the double rooms
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ann f
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I had to go to this hotel for a friend’s wedding in June 2012. On first impressions, the hotel looked nice and cosy from the outside and the lobby looked quite appealing too. The function room was quite spacious and well lit, perfect for the wedding as there were around 200 guests attending.

Firstly, when we went up to the room (a family room) it looked nice but there was only 1 double bed and 1 single bed even though we had booked it for 2 adults and 2 children, so when we contacted reception the first time they just sent up a couple of blankets and a pillow - no bed. The second time they sent up an inflatable mattress which was deflated by the time we were going to bed, therefore one of my sons ended up sleeping on the floor which caused him awful back pains. The next morning when we were trying to get a shower, there was no shower curtain in the bath and the hose of the shower was all bent (the same in several other rooms). This meant that, no water was coming out of the hose, only when you hold it up high enough, you just get a dribble. When my pregnant wife was “trying” to get a shower, the water scalded her as the hose broke off the taps due to the build up of pressure, luckily she was ok.

During the meal of the wedding, there was some very rude and ignorant waiting staff serving at my table. They didn't wait until everyone was finished at the table before clearing the table for the next course and when asked for a children's meal they ‘tutted’ at my family (a disgrace!). Although, I must admit there was some lovely waiting staff that severed at my table, when asked for something they were very helpful and even interacted with the children, making them laugh.

The morning after the wedding during breakfast, there wasn't a large selection of food available. When some of the guests came down to breakfast (only 5 minutes late) i.e. the best man, they asked one of the waitresses to see if it was possible to get a cooked breakfast, she put her hands on her hips and said in a rude manner 'The kitchen is closed' and walked off. We were appalled at the level of service we were receiving.

I have never experienced such poor quality of service for a hotel and I’m not saying this to be spiteful but to just let others know what poor service we received when we were at this hotel and that me, my family or my friends will never be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Andrew H
UK
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We had an evening meal here on a weekday evening and the food and service were truly excellent, and at reasonable prices. We didn't stay at the hotel, so I can't comment on accommodation.

Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ballymena
Tullyglass House Hotel
Ballygally Castle
#1 of 1 in Ballygally
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,281 reviews
Hilton Belfast Templepatrick Golf & Country Club

Been to Leighinmohr House Hotel? Share your experiences!