“Long walk for a little bridge”

Carrick-A-Rede Rope Bridge
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Long walk for a little bridge”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Really pleasant walk along the cliffs and, when we were there, not too crowded. At least they tell you how long you may have to wait to get onto the bridge. Bridge is more a plank bridge than a rope one, but it is suspended on ropes. You can get a certificate to say you've done it!

Visited August 2014

• Turkish first
Sligo, Ireland
“Great experience”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It is not a long walk over as I had imagined before going there. I didn't think I would cross as I've a fear of heights but I did and am very glad. The rope bridge is very steady and the scenery is fantastic. The staff there was lovely. Would definitely recommend it, it was a great experience.

Tipperary, Ireland
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“The coast line itself is worth a visit.!”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

It was 6.45 when we arrived at Carrick -a Rede- Rope Bridge just as the bridge was closing its gates but we were encouraged to keep walking to the entry. The walk takes you along the edge of the northern coastline and is truly beautiful. there were no crowds and while we were hopeful that we might get to cross the bridge and have a photographic opportunity we were happy enough to make the walk and take in some spectacular scenery. When we got to the bridge we did manage to gain entry ensuring the gate keeper that we wouldn't delay him. As we stood on the bridge listening to the seagulls and marvelling at the variety of colours in the caves below. Crossing onto the island there in the ruggedness of the coastline and what appears like a stones throw is a Scottish island with its lighthouse flickering in the fading sunlight. Making our way back we found ourselves locked in as the gatekeeper made his way to clear the island so we were delighted to have time to ourselves on the bridge to absorb the splendour of this amazing setting. What a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Visited August 2014
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We visited on a weekend and it wasn't too busy. Not a long walk to the rope bridge but steep in places well worth the walk to go over the bridge and for the views at the other side. Didn't think I would walk across the bridge as not a lover of heights but it was very safe and steady. Friendly and helpful staff at the booth.

1 Thank Fiona F
Kettering, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“I hate heights....”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Glad to say I was able to conquer my fears and cross this historic rope bridge. With scenery to die for its a really amazing place and again after a 20 year absence I was impressed by the new facilities.

Had to have a bit of a ding dong with a tourist who was complaining that the cafe was too busy - several coachloads of people and a large number in cars had descended upon the cafe to shelter from the sudden torrential downpour, the poor ladies running the tearoom were swamped and working non-stop to cope - doing a splendid jo too, but not splendid enough for this ignorant boorish woman who did nothing but complain in English in a loud voice (think she was Dutch or Belgian) until eventually I had had enough and turned round in an equally loud voice and told her to shut up and stop droning on, couldn't she understand the pressure the staff were under, she was left gob-smacked and silent and left with her husband, to the delight of other visitors and with the thanks of the staff to me ringing in her ears!!!!

1 Thank ColinTodd