“Not good” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Millbrook Lodge Hotel

Millbrook Lodge Hotel
Ranked #6 of 22 Restaurants in Ballynahinch
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gloucester, England
“Not good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

The trouble with any review is, it’s what happened on one day, with one meal (discounting friends). And we’ve had better, though far from memorable, food here before.

We were having lunch, so I ordered a bacon & brie panini. What I got… a cold, miserable baguette. Two others also had baguettes, with different fillings, and they didn’t look good either – one of them was paying, and it was supposed to be a pleasant family treat, so I didn’t want to criticise there and then, or ask deeply probing questions of my fellow diners.

So I got a baguette rather than a panini – either someone in the kitchen doesn’t know the difference, or the waitress couldn’t be bothered to inform us that they hadn’t got any paninis. Or something. It had, at some stage, been heated up a bit, but was stone cold now. The brie had never been sufficiently heated to make it melt properly and ooze out the sides; the bacon was some small pieces, very overdone in a pan, then just pushed in on top of the cold brie at the last moment before serving – it should of course all have been cooked together, in the panini, forming a delightful gooey mess of bacon and brie together, squeezed very tightly in a scalding hot, well-toasted panini.

It was served with a nasty bit of salad – lettuce, cucumber, tomato, with no French Dressing.

My daughter had chicken goujons which were quite nice, and OK champ.

It’ll be a while before we go back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Millbrook100, Manager at Millbrook Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to forward your review. We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your dining experience with us. If you had drawn any of your concerns to your server they would have been more than happy to address them and make sure that you were completely happy. We can assure you that our salads and dressings are prepared freshly each day and we are happy to provide any type of additional dressings that our guests request if and when they require.
We are very glad that your daughter enjoyed her Chicken Goujons and unsure why the champ was OK - champ would be one of most popular potato choices on our menu.
Again we are very sorry that we didn't get the opportunity to correct or make things more enjoyable for you and thank for taking the time to summit this review. We do assure you taht we take our guests comments very seriously

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Nice Sunday Carvery!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Enjoyed the food, the starter selection was broad and although a lot of it wasn't to my taste the soup was quite nice. I had turkey a turkey and ham dinner for my main and the mash with gravy were delicious! I wasn't overly fussed on the turkey but the rest was lovely. There is a wide range of deserts available which should please everyone. I enjoyed a nice slice of cake and some triffle.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Deank06
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to forward your review and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Our Sunday Carvery proves to be a very popular dining experience and our customers feel that it proves to be good value for money with an offering of 5 courses for only £18.45, 5 - 12 year old's £7.25 and 4's and under eating free from the carvery.

Again many thanks and we trust that you will return soon to the Millbrook Lodge Hotel.
“Beautiful Carvery”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I were actually heading to Dundrum for our dinner when I noticed your sign outside advertising your Carvery so we turned around and came back into your lovely hotel.
Our meal was beautiful and we were very pleased with the 5 courses. Each course was well prepared and well presented.
The coffee came to our table in a large pot which was good. We certainly didn't leave the dining hall feeling hungry.
I do however feel it's worth mentioning for future reference and that is that I couldn't but help notice on several occasions that the chefs who were attending to the food could have had cleaner uniforms on. I saw at least four chefs and felt this was a bad look so might be worth thinking about.
Apart from that we really enjoyed our meal and are now planning to return for a weekend stay soon.

Millbrook100, Manager at Millbrook Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review. We are delighted that you turned around and made the drive back to Millbrook to enjoy your lunch with us.
We can only assure you that our chefs dress in clean uniforms each and every day, unfortunately sometimes due to spills etc they can a little messed from time to time, maybe a sign they are working very hard :)
I do trust that you will have the opportunity to visit Millbrook once more if not a Sunday maybe for lunch or evening meal in our restaurant .This area opens each day from 7 am for morning breakfast, morning teas and coffees, lunches, afternoon teas and dinner.
Again many thanks for taking the time to review The Millbrook Lodge Hotel.
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014

We went to the Millbrook Lodge for a meal for my mother in laws birthday. It was about 1.30 when we arrived so we ordered from the lunch menu. The menu you is nice and simple. There is also a good selection of fish dishes in the lunch menu. The meal was brilliant. We had 2 courses and I feel it is value for money. 2 courses for three of us and a kids meal for my daughter along with 2 pints of Guinness was £53. Helpful and friendly service. The only bad point was that there where a few annoying flys and due to the time of the year and located in a countryside surrounding I feel this was out of the control of the waitresses. Will defiantly be back.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very gracious review and we are delighted that you enjoyed your lunch with us. Our apologies about the flies but as you say this time of year etc. We can only assure you that we are on ' Fly Duty ' all the time and will do our very best to minims them. We trust we have the opportunity to welcome you back to Millbrook.
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
“Dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We dined in the millbrook this past week and they have a new menu. Some nice food on it. Some of our party had the noodles but I had the potato dish was really,really lovely. My only complaint was that the portion was very small for the price. It should be served in the same bowls as the noodle dish. I could have eaten the same amount again.
Hope the next time I'm there it will be.
The two staff members were very friendly and the service was good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Millbrook100, Manager at Millbrook Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you for your kind review and we are delighted that you and your party enjoyed sampling our new menu. We will most certainly look at the comments that you made in regard to our new Potato Wave dish which we now offer and we assure you that we will address forthwith. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Millbrook soon.