“correspondence”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crawfordsburn
Belfast, United Kingdom
“correspondence”
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I treated my very good friend to evening dinner and b&b for her 60th birthday. We both loved the look and feel of the inn and especially the fresh flowers everywhere. We had a light lunch and sat outside as weather was very warm. Then we had a walk down to the beach. Dinner that evening was beautiful along with great choice and service. Breakfast was a disappointment as we were served our fry while we were eating our cereal-we were not the only ones to have this happen.We had a problem and I wrote a letter to management, I did not receive a reply and thought this was unprofessional-then I started to think that my letter was not passed on? Perhaps I will get an answer to this e mail. On a more positive note, we both loved the inn and it's surroundings and will be back again. Do go and try it!

Room Tip: Rooms are beautiful and full of character and very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
Dear Frances D, thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed some of the personal touches that we have introduced, which, as a a family owned and managed hotel, we like to think helps to make us stand out against the competition. We were very happy to see that you enjoyed both the food and standard of service at dinner.We were of course disappointed to see that you had issues at breakfast. Unfortunately your original correspondence did not reach the management team, but we now believe that this has been resolved, and hope that it does not deter you from visiting the hotel again in future. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Ballymena, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

We got married at the old inn last october and it was amazing so we decided to book the wonderfull summer facebook deal £50 pp for a 2 course dinner ,wine and B&B. The room was lovely and the meal delicious. The old inn never fails to offer great, friendly service

2 Thank samanthab0yd
Dear samboN_ireland, Thank you for yet another great review on Tripadvisor. It is very pleasing to see that we are able to provide great food and friendly food so consistently and that you are continuing to enjoy your stays with us. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2013

My husband and I stated here for one night. Stunningly beautiful hotel. Welcome is typical of the people of Belfast. Extremely warm and so friendly. We had one of the best weekends ever. As my 9 year old would say 'awesome'.

• Stayed July 2013
OldInn1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Dear Helen
Thank you for your comments, I believe I met you while you stayed at the hotel. It was very nice to meet you. It would be 'totally awesome' if your son and daughter would like to come with you next time and stay in one of our fantastic family rooms overlooking the hotel gardens and country park.
Glad you enjoyed it!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 July 2013

From the outside the Inn has old charm , very welcoming and inviting .Enter the foyer , wonderful old Irish charm. We are excited. The Inn was built in 1614 , we have "the superior suite" room 1614 . We haul our luggage up the stairs, past beautiful furniture (such as monk's bench) , still very excited . Beautiful lillies outside our room. We open the door excitement ends. The room is small (not unexpected) has no fan , windows open onto the Main Street , tiles on the bathroom floor are coming apart. Quick check of the toilet paper . One ply (please).

We wet for lunch outside . Beautiful. We sat waiting service. There is none, you have to walk inside order your food and drink and this lovely 4 star establishment does deliver. The food , teeters on the expensive side but was good ( 4 pounds 50 for approx 8 chips). We went to the bar for a few drinks. Toni the barmaid was superb. My wife and myself enjoyed her company so much that it made our stay so much more pleasant. Because of Toni we stayed for dinner and drinks for two nights. The owners of the inn circulate and drive you to buy the dinner special , 52pounds for appetiser and main including a bottle of wine.

The location of the Inn is approx 7 miles outside Belfast. Beautiful secluded village. Great area to explore from but nothing else really in village. Very close to beach . Approx 20 min , easy going down hill not so easy going up hill but you can drive to beach in all of 3 mins

On our last visit we stayed at a B &B , two minutes from the inn. (Courtyard cottage). Unfortunately they were on vacation during this stay so hence we gave the inn a try. The B&B has a Beautiful setting , amazing breakfast (jack the inn is challenging you on a great breakfast) . The upside of the B&B is stat they don't threaten to steal your wine if they find it in your room. We would return to the B&B before we would return to the inn.

Room Tip: Ensure that you are not facing the main road. The noise is very bad. If it is warm see if they have...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
OldInn1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Dear Martin, we were disappointed to read your review and that you did not have as good a time as you expected. Thank you for the comments which are of course gratefully accepted and appreciated. I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast and the overall ambience in the hotel.
We have reviewed, with the head housekeeper and maintenance team the issues with the bathroom and found no single ply paper, nor do we stock 1-ply, so I am unsure of the origins of this, and only very slight drying in of grouting which was recently renewed, which you were quite right to point out - however, there are a variety of points raised regarding the pushing of sales, cost of chips and stealing of wine which I feel need further explanation. The £52.50 menu is a promotion which is much better value for money than choosing a la carte and we, the family who run the hotel, will only try to give you the best experience and value for money. If this came across as any kind of 'push' then please accept our apologies. The chips, are very large, and by weight are quite a standard portion, at £3.50 similar in price to most local restaurants. With regards the wine, I can only assume you are referring to a standard disclaimer in our literature which is unlikely to be invoked unless any guest becomes recklessly drunk, at which point we are obliged by law to stop serving them. There is no mention of stealing and think this statement is quite unfair and misleading to the public reading this review.
The issue with serving in the garden is unusual due to the consistently good weather, and the direction to the staff was to keep delivering 4* service, however we do ask that guests settle food and drinks bills in advance of serving due to several customers recently forgetting to pay bills after serving. We did, regrettably have a short period of confusion where guests were having to come into the hotel to order their food and drinks, which was never the intention. This miscommuncation has now been resolved.
I hope this addresses some of your issues, and we will pass on your kind comments to toni, a very valued member of the team.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

This is the second time I have had the pleasure of staying at the old inn, the first time being a couple of years ago. I can thoroughly recommend it. I have been very well looked after. The inn itself is lovely, the rooms cosy and the general atmosphere of the place is great. It's a fine looking set of buildings to start with, and the interior is just as impressive. I had the luck of glorious weather as well, so sitting on the large terrace at the back, listening to the river gurgling away below with the sun on my face was fantastic. To cap it off I had an excellent meal in the restaurant with my colleagues and had great service from the staff. I would come here again, no question.

Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Leon

Thanks for taking the time to review us and so glad you got the best of the very fine weather.
The garden is still a little bit 'undiscovered' in the area and we're very glad you have written about it, it's a real gem in the midst of county down overlooking the country park.
Hopefully we will get to welcome you back to the hotel soon.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I arrived at The Old Inn totally shattered after traveling for around 33 hours from Auckland, New Zealand. The greeting I received from the staff was outstanding. They were warm, friendly and welcoming. The check-in was easy. My room was fantastic - a wonderful blend of old, historical charm and modern, comfortable facilities.

I arrived late at night and despite the fact that the restaurant kitchen had just closed the staff were able to arrange a fantastic meal for me.

The breakfast were wonderful. I go the full Ulster Fry each morning and it was great.

The location is excellent. The Crawfordsburn Country Park is right next door with lots of great walking trails. The beach, which is accessed through the Park, is very beautiful even if the sea is a little cold!! Belfast is an easy 20 minute taxi ride away.

The Inn does host a lot of weddings but despite there being a lot of guests the weddings never disturbed my sleep.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Andrew, thank you for your review. It's very nice to read feedback commenting of the very focus of a lot of recent training. Our staff have responded very well and add a lot of personality to the bricks and mortar of the building! We are very proud of them, the food, the surroundings and the building and we are so glad that from all the way from New Zealand, our little part of the world left a big impression.
I will pass your comments to the serving team and chefs.... Can't do so much about the cold sea though!
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have been to this hotel for weddings so was quite looking forward to staying for 1 night. On arrival we were met by a very pleasant receptionist who provided us with our room details. When we went into the room I was really surprised by how small it was, barely enough room to walk around the bed. To add to the disappointment of this we noticed that the car park was right outside the window, as the room was on the ground floor noise was a particular problem. My advice would be to ensure when booking that you get a room that is a decent size and away from the car park. The TV was also a problem as additional commentary would sometimes override the normal television sound which meant I had to turn off the television.

Room Tip: Ensure at time of booking that you specify you want a decent sized room.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Brian, I'm sorry to hear you were not happy with your room allocation. If you are not happy and let our staff know we will generally move you to a more suitable room if one is available. I am unsure of the full details, but hoping that you were offered this as an option. As a 400 year old building on the edge of a waterfall we are unfortunately land-locked on 3 sides by the car park, the road and a neighbouring property, therefore it is very difficult not to have some slight noise pollution, and also many of the rooms are quite old and to consider removing walls to make rooms bigger might detract from the overall character of the inn, but hopefully it did not trouble you too much. The issue with the TV has been resolved, it is for hard of hearing and was set by a previous guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawfordsburn
Culloden Estate & Spa
#2 of 2 in Holywood
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#10 of 45 in Belfast

Been to The Old Inn Crawfordsburn? Share your experiences!