“Disappointed this time”

The Old Inn Crawfordsburn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Crawfordsburn
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I first came here two years ago and wrote a review called "Magical" because that is what The Old Inn felt like to me. I found it so charming and recalled wanting to have my wedding reception there some day. However, as a previous reviewer mentioned before me, it's the little things that really count. I was disappointed this time in the hotel. There was a wedding there the day we arrived which meant the place was very busy and overrun with children and noisy guests - not complaining about it, but rather just mentioning that if there is a wedding there prepare for noise. Our room was small and stuffy. The bed was uncomfortable. I wonder if maybe we were put in a smaller suite than last time because of the wedding guests. We ordered the "love doves" package which is supposed to mean champagne and chocolate strawberries on arrival and breakfast in bed. There were also some fake and tired rose petals on the bed. I swear one of them was just a red piece of fabric. At some point we finally got champange. But the 4 strawberries were pathetic. And we did not get offered breakfast in bed so we just went to the restaurant. The Irish breakfast was so disappointing. One egg? Really? And poor quality sausages and bacon. Shocking really. Given what you are paying for this place, it is not worth it. I don't think I'll be staying here again because it is just not worth the expense. We certainly will NOT order any of their special packages and I do not recommend anyone does.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JulianaHongKong
There are newer reviews for The Old Inn Crawfordsburn

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We were on a mid week break, bed, Breakfast and evening meal. It was a great price and made even more special as we got an upgrade to a suite in the quiet side of the building due to the building work.
So far so good.but sometimes it is the little things that can make or break a hotel stay.....

there was a pile of dirty cups glasses and bottles sitting outside our room and yet they were not removed at any point during our stay.

There was no safe in the room ,surprising given the room was at the top end of their accommodation.

Although an old building it has obviously been recently renovated & refurbished. I was therefore quite surprised not to be offered the use of a lift even though it was obviously I had some mobility issues. On closer inspection there was a lift towards the side of the hotel near our suite. It had no marking to suggest it was for staff only so used it to go down to dinner. We came out in a small lobby with multiple doors. Followed one door into the chiefs table which almost filled the small room,from here we entered the dining room. After our meal again tried to use the lift but the door into the chief room was blocked by tables and toasters ready for breakfast. However a very helpful member of staff showed me through the kitchen until we reached the lift .
After a busy day bed beckoned but afraid a good nights sleep was not forthcoming as the bed itself was quite hard and the room stuffy and warm. The windows could have been opened but as we were just above the road it would have given more noise to cope with
Am I being too picky.....I don't think so,small amendment would have made a good visit amazing.

Room Tip: Rooms to the side of the hotel seem to be well removed from current building work
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Icemum
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Icemum, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were disappointed to see that there were so many aspects of your stay that you feel could have been improved upon. We have taken your comments on board and have made some significant adjustments to ensure that these can be improved uopn. Thank you for the constructive feedback. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We are so happy to have had our wedding reception at the Old Inn on June 27, 2014. My husband and I live in Arizona where many people assume that it would be very difficult to plan their wedding in a different country. However, with the help of Laura West, our wedding planner, everything was extremely pleasant and went exactly as organized. Laura helped us with anything we needed from the entertainment and decorations to the layout and food. She was so kind and patient in understanding how important this day was for us and she worked very hard to make sure we got everything we asked for and more.

Shaun, the banquet manager, kept everyone on time and continued to look over my husband and myself to make sure we were happy. He was very respectful, kind, and on top of everything! Without him, we surely would have forgotten important details and the timing of events. He accommodated our constantly changes needs and agenda while pulling it off in an extremely professional manner.

The food was absolutely delicious. So much that we found out our guests went there the next day for lunch! The servers were very professional and polite. We were able to give our guests a choice of what they would like to eat including vegetarian guests. The staff had 9 different food options and everyone got what they had asked for without a single mishap!

Derek West was our amazing DJ entertainment! He downloaded many songs that we wanted and made a fun playlist that made our guests stay on the dance floor all night long. We told him the age group of the guests along with our favorite songs and he took it from there. Derek also called me previous to the wedding to make sure I wanted anything else to which my family was singing songs from the background. He was so great and flexible with us being an hour late for everything.

I would not change a thing about our wedding day. The location itself was amazing but the staff made it the best day. I am very thankful to all of them for their hard work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Megan M
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Had food in main bar and was delicious and was a healthy portion.
Was served by a very pleasant waitress called Claire who was helpful on our choice from the menu and courteous throughout.
Only one fault I have is the gents toilet needed badly freshened up,I noticed throughout the evening this had been done.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We recently had our wedding and wedding reception at the Old Inn.. I can not express into words how perfect our day was.. the hotel was simply stunning.. the staff the meals and overall experience was one ill never forget, they truly made our special day even better.. we had family and friends travelling from all over the UK and Northern Ireland, and everyone said how superbly looked after they all were.. nothing was to much fro any of the hotel staff and management, they were always prepared to go that extra mile to make our day even more eventful.. we'll be back.. thank you so much for everything..

Amy and Jock

Room Tip: Transport museum is 2 minutes away.. great family day out and Belfast is only 30 minutes away to loa...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank malcolm M
Reviewed 5 August 2014

An afternoon tea should be a relaxed and elegant affair. You expect delicious food in beautiful surroundings, with a discreet but attentive service.

Unfortunately while the surroundings and the food at the Victorian Afternoon tea were excellent the service was truly shabby. What a shame. The whole reason that we have to rate this experience as 'poor' is that the service, or should we say, lack of service, really did detract from the whole experience. It is only the delicious food that saves the rating from 'terrible'. But as service is such an integral part of the experience, we cannot offer a review rating more than 'poor'.

The service was truly terrible, especially compared with other places that we have been, such as the Culloden Hotel ( immaculate service and surroundings there, by the way). We had to call the waiter over for EVERYTHING - more milk, more tea, the bill ... not just once but SEVERAL TIMES! Repeatedly asking for service really does give a bad impression and causes frustration and annoyance. What is more, you feel like you are harassing the waiter, when all you are really doing to asking for what you are paying for.

Examples of bad service of which there were many: We were left with tea but no milk in the empty milk jug - (we had to ask for this); we were left 30 minutes waiting with tea but no food and no communication at all from the waiter about what was happening ( we were just about to ask for it, when it arrived), and when the food finally arrived there was only enough for 3 not for 5 (again requiring us to ask the waiter to fix his mistake and then to have the obligatory long and frustrating wait while he served other tables before he brought us the rest of our tea).

Frequently the waiter was not in sight and we had to try and catch his eye, when he was not moving about plates or polishing silverware or doing anything other than attend to his guests. Often we had to shout 'excuse me' across the room to gain his attention, for it was if he could not cross the invisible line into the tea room, without an explicit request from the customer. When he was asked for something - say more milk, he would disappear and then return sometime later to the tea room to take orders from other table, settle bills or stack plates or shuffle stuff about. Anything but bring us what we needed. This would necessitate another 'excuse me' and another repeated request - all the time chipping away at our enjoyment of the afternoon.

If this happened once we would have let it go because we are pretty chilled out and we really wanted to have a relaxing time, but honestly the service was like this the WHOLE TIME we were there. Our niece is only 12 years old and she said that it was more like self service... not far off the mark. We usually tip very generously when we are out, but I am afraid we could not justify a generous tip this time.

This lack of service is not what you would expect from such a beautiful and respected hotel. The food really was lovely, but the staff...more training perhaps?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank mobiblu
Rice1614, Owner at The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear mobiblu, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. Thank you for your kind words on the standard of the food and the quality of the surroundings. We were of course, disappointed to see your comments on the standard of service. This has been addressed immediately with our senior team in the restaurant as it appears to be an issue that has remained unresolved. All of your constructive comments have been taken on board in the manner in which they were intended and we are sure that we will improve as a result. We hope that your experience does not deter you from visiting us again and we look forward to welcoming you when you do. Kind regards, the team at The Old Inn.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

I stayed here Tuesday, and Wednesday of last week. Catching up with family before a lovely family wedding. I was very impressed with the food, and the staff of The Old Inn. It was a fantastic atmosphere, and nothing was to much trouble! After working for some twenty five years in the travel and tourism industry a person can get awfully nit picky! I could find no faults, and can safely recommend staying, or just dining! Doing my best to find an excuse to come back! To all the staff of the Old Inn, thank you it was memorable for all the right reasons.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank donmch

Dear Donmch, Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We were delighted to see that you enjoyed your recent visit with us to attend a wedding and are also very please to see that you are already finding an excuse to return. Thank you for your kind words on the helpfulness of the team and the standard. From someone who has been in the business for such a long, these are reassuring words indeed. We look forward to welcoming you back and if you are looking for an excuse, did you know that August has 5 weekends in it this year!! KInd regards, the team at The Old Inn.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Crawfordsburn
Clandeboye Lodge Hotel
La Mon Hotel & Country Club
Stormont Hotel
Stormont Hotel
#11 of 44 in Belfast

Been to The Old Inn Crawfordsburn? Share your experiences!