“Hidden gem”

Grey Point Fort
More attraction details
Fee: No
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Literally came across Grey Point Fort by accident when at Crawfordsburn and was glad I did. The museum is excellent with much to see and learn. The views are excellent of Belfast lough and it is a lovely quiet place to stroll around. The facilities were good and I definetly plan to return. I think work needs to be done to advertise Grey Point Fort including more signs etc around the area to indicate it is there. I have mentioned it to others and likewise they had no idea it existed. Its a shame when it is obvious much work goes on to keep it running as well as helping people to understand and think about fort and the war.

1  Thank angeltobe

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Very small attraction but plenty of memorabilia and history. Worth a visit. Nice views of Belfast Lough.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Grey Point Fort is virtually on my doorstep and I've watched it with interest as it's developed over the years. My latest visit to the "museum" showed that another leap forward has occurred. In speaking to the guide, my friend and I were invited to visit the former magazine of the fort which has been converted into a small, but very interesting, display of WW1 and WW2 military equipment and memorabilia, most of which I understand has been donated or loaned by private individuals. The guide himself was extremely knowledgeable about the fort, its history and the exhibits in the display. All in all I spent a very contented hour or so in the magazine browsing and handling some of the exhibits.
The Fort itself mounts two 6 inch guns and my fathers weapon of choice during WW2 - a 25 pdr field gun, all of which you can climb over. It is also a beautiful setting for a picnic (bring your own - no catering on site). Little (and not so little) boys will love a visit to Grey Point Fort AND IT'S FREE!

1  Thank Bexsdad
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Had a really great time at this fort and it has greatly improved since last time I was there. This is well worth a visit and staff are really helpful and willing to take time out to talk and explain the fort to you. Also have a great knowledge about the fort and it's role. It is one of North Down's best kept secrets. Get out there and see what it has to offer and great links to the past and the two World Wars. A must see place.

1  Thank Daviddpk
Reviewed 30 March 2014

The views from the battery across the Belfast Lough are wonderful and one gets a good impression of what it must have been like when fully in use deuring the war