“Very impressed” 4 of 5 bubbles

Add it.
The Parlour
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Holywood, United Kingdom
“Very impressed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

Visited here on Saturday night for an early dinner. The place was busy and as always had a very cosy atmosphere. My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our salmon and venison dishes. The service was very good and overall very reasonably priced.

• Visited November 2013

N.Ireland
“Disappointing Friday night out”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

I should begin by saying that, in the past, I have thoroughly enjoyed my visits to the Crawfordsburn Inn but was bitterly disappointed at our most recent. Being a Friday night, my husband and I decided to arrange for a babysitter and enjoy an evening out. I booked a table in the bar in the hope of having a main course (fish and chips, burger). However, when we arrived we were handed a menu and faced with an array of choices. We were disappointed to note that despite fish and chips and a burger being on the menu, they are only served until 7pm on a Friday evening. We were further disappointed when we asked about the possibility of having fish and chips. Our waitress (who went off to enquire) came back and explained we could not. Ten minutes later, having decided that we would not eat (and return home), a neighbouring table asked their waitress the same question and were told that they could have fish and chips. The meal choices that were available to us were the same as the food being offered in the Lewis restaurant but I would have thought that, as the hotel promotes both the restaurant and the Parlour bar, they should be offering different menus to differentiate between the two. I know that there is only one kitchen but for a country eating establishment, they should be attracting those that want a relaxing meal in the bar, as well as those who want a more formal dining experience. All we wanted was a main course and a few drinks to finish off the working week, yet we are now at home having had a glass of water and a pint of beer. Despite there being four managers/owners on the floor this evening, not one of them was aware that we had decided not to dine.

My biggest concern is the fact that the menu we were given had all the meal choices for the whole day. I have never been in a restaurant where I have been shown choices that I cannot have. This only portrays a very traditional way of thinking and although the owners are maybe hoping to attract the traditional diner, we are a young, professional family who enjoy dining out and know that many similar people like to relax and enjoy a meal out at the weekend. Surely the management of the hotel/restaurant should be capturing these diners and providing a more up-to-date, fashionable dining experience. I am not saying that they should modernise the hotel, it is an amazing building and the bar has a very appealing atmosphere in which we would have spent time, this evening, relaxing.

Unfortunately, having set ourselves up for a Friday night out, we are now at home, having relinquished the babysitter, and about to have a M&S 'Dine in for Two' steak and chips. Never before have we gone out for dinner, only to get up and leave before placing an order. To say we are extremely disappointed is an understatement.

• 1 of 5 bubbles