“Great place, great people, great coffee”

Sugarcane Cafe Bistro
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Comber
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Description: Eclectic little Bistro in Comber Square. Now recognised in The Georgina Campbell Guide Ireland. Winner of the 2014 Best Eatery and best licences premises at the Ards business awards. We source great tasting local produce, mostly from within Co. Down. We are open 7 days a week from 9am with a gorgeous Bistro menu running nightly from 5pm Wed to Sun. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a coffee and cake.
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Have been a regular here for years. No matter if it's just a coffee or a meal with friends always the same friendly service and wonderful food.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Had early bird menu very disappointing, small portion, chicken and champ, but when arrived it was mash. Tasted fine but very small portion. No selection of dessert, chef's choice, one only lemon curd in a cup with froth on top, did not taste nice at all. Even though there were other desserts they were not available to early bird menu. The cost was £12.50, includes a glass of wine, main and dessert. Very poor early bird menu, not worth the money.

pete18107, Owner at Sugarcane Cafe Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review Sugarcane. I am sorry that you deem our early bird to be of poor value. You mentioned that the dessert was a lemon curd with some foam on top but it was actually an orange and white chocolate bavarois. Although it may not have been to your taste it is actually one of our customer favourites. If you had mentioned to our staff at the time I am sure we would have been accommodating and let you have something else as we hate to see a customer leave unhappy with their meal. The reason there is no choice with the dessert is because it's called Chefs dessert and we actually give that to you for free.

We believe our menu to be exceptional value considering a customer gets a main course, a glass of wine and the free chefs dessert (which changes frequently) for just £13.50. When you compare this price to some other restaurants it makes us positively cheap. For just another £3 you can add a starter so effectively 2 people can dine out with 3 courses and a glass of wine for just £16.50 each.

We continually monitor our menu and I have passed on your thoughts to the team. We are hoping to change our menu shortly and would encourage you to return. Perhaps you could contact us by email on info@sugarcanecafebistro.com and I will be happy to discuss your complaint in person.

Kind regards

Peter

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Came here for dinner with my partner and couldn't fault one thing. We ordered the curry and the grilled chicken fillet which were both gorgeous and full of flavour. Staff were great.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

I have been to Sugarcane on many occasions and have never had any issues, the food has always been fabulous. However on my most recent visit I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with my meal. The meal itself was tasteless and rather on the small side. It certainly didn't represent value for money. Please Sugarcane, please give me a reason to come back!!

1  Thank Littleone0

Thanks for your comments. I am sorry that you felt your last visit wasn't as expected. We take all our customers observations seriously.

We do have a new menu on and as always the case it does take some time to get the balance of portion size just right. I have discussed with our chef and we would encourage you to come back and try us again.

Kind regards

Peter

Reviewed 30 August 2013

Great informal dining and fabulous food. Good choice on the menu from light bites to more complete dinner. Would recommend.