“Love this place! ”

Sugarcane Cafe Bistro
Ranked #1 of 18 Restaurants in Comber
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Good for: Child-friendly, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Description: Eclectic little Bistro in Comber Square. Now recognised in The Georgina Campbell Guide Ireland. Winner of the 2014 Best Eatery and best licences premises at the Ards business awards. We source great tasting local produce, mostly from within Co. Down. We are open 7 days a week from 9am with a gorgeous Bistro menu running nightly from 5pm Wed to Sun. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a coffee and cake.
northern ireland
“Love this place! ”
Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

Always look forward to going here for my breakfast, I love the way the food always tastes the same! Delicious ! Service is great from staff! I always get my usual fry for breakfast ! Had a sandwich of the lunch menu last week and it was lovely as well ! I go nearly every week !

“Lunch”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

Decided to have a late lunch as I knew I was passing through Comber and yet again enjoyed a great pasta dish only with lamb! who would have thought it, very tasty.

Belfast, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Another lovely plate if food!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Have eaten in Sugarcane many times over the last 2 years since moving into the locality. Great scones and tray bakes, cooked breakfast to lunch time treats and bistro evening meals. My current favourite is the goat burger- a real wee gem!
The Craic is always great.

• Visited January 2014
“Best feed in town!!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

I can honestly say, easily the best meal meal I've had in Comber and I've lived here over 30 years and eat out regularly. A lot of great eateries in the town, so that's quite a statement. Staff are awesome too!!

• Visited October 2013
Belfast
“New menu - thumbs down :-(”
Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I planned to have at least 2 courses when I dined with friends tonight but unfortunately the bistro menu seems new and I found it hard to find anything tempting at all. Pictures of the goats cheese tartlet starter on the tv screen were so tempting but this was no longer on menu. 10oz Steak seemed pricey at £19 and the only burger was a goat burger (no thanks!!)
So I ordered a chicken burger which was just ok.
Food took a long time to come (over 40 min) which meant we had no time for desserts or coffees. Missed the old menu and the some of the former waiting staff.
Staff were polite but we had a long wait to order and for the bill. Hoping this is 'a blip' as Sugarcane is a fav restaurant in our family :-(

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank soprano2Belfast
pete18107, Owner at Sugarcane Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you seem to not like our new menu and that you felt the service took too long.

However I really must point out that I was working and leading my team on the night in question and I would totally refute that any table had to wait over 40 mins to be served food. I would even have doubted it if you had said over 20 mins. I was so impressed with my kitchen on this night at their unerring ability to produce the quantity of food that was demanded from them.

I am fastidious about service. My wife and I built our business on what we believe to be two essential ingredients to restaurant success. Good food and good service. We admit that we are not silver service but that's not what we aim for. We aim for an efficient yet friendly and relaxed service.

Obviously due to your heading, it is apparent that you do not like our new menu and with reference to previous offerings and staff it is also apparent that you haven't been to Sugarcane in over 5 months as our new menu has been running in some sort of variation by my very talented chef for some time.

Goat may not be to your liking but I make no apology for daring to be different. It's what sets us apart. It so happens the Goat burger has proven to be very popular indeed and made it to our menu after being trialled via use as a Special. We do change menus every season. It keeps us fresh, stops customer boredom and promotes the use of good locally sourced produce. We won't be changing this. Sometimes favourites drop off but change is good in my opinion.

In relation to your complaint of time, I must also point out that I received not 1 complaint on he night so I can only assume that you didn't mention a problem to myself or my staff. If you had I am 100 % sure that I could have helped you out. It's what I do.

We have an extensive choice of food. Pretty much something for every one at prices comparable to everyone else. We use quality suppliers and our huge sirloins have the most delicious marbling through the meat and at £19 include all veg, sauce and side orders too. I eat out a lot as I need to keep abreast of trends and pricing and I can honestly say £19 is a fair price these days.

I hope that I have been able to answer and explain any musings you may have had and I sincerely hope you return to dine with us.