“less than average food, pleasant staffl” 3 of 5 bubbles

Sugarcane Cafe Bistro
Ranked #1 of 19 Restaurants in Comber
Price range: US$7 - US$24
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Irish, European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Cheap Eats, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, After-hours, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Eclectic little Bistro in Comber Square. Now recognised in The Georgina Campbell Guide Ireland. Winner of the 2014 Best Eatery and best licences premises at the Ards business awards. We source great tasting local produce, mostly from within Co. Down. We are open 7 days a week from 9am with a gorgeous Bistro menu running nightly from 5pm Wed to Sun. Join us for breakfast, lunch, dinner or just a coffee and cake.
Belfast, United Kingdom
“less than average food, pleasant staffl”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

we called in for a quick bite last night, greeted by very pleasant and attentive staff, waited for over 40 mins for chicken main dish, while we weren't complaining about the wait when the meal arrived the chicken dish was dry and unappetising, the other main course - a beef special dish was overcooked - burnt around the edges and dry in the middle. We should have complained on the night but because of a recent bereavement we left after the main course. We live and eat regularly in and around Comber but will not be revisiting the Sugarcane anytime soon.

• Visited February 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gary m

newtownards
“quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

Family meal, first visit by some off the family.All I can say is, it was excellent.Staff were friendly, service was excellent, and good menu.Will visit again, and must also say I thought it was well priced for a family off 6 adults....

Visited February 2014
Northern Ireland
“Nice, popular Café”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014

We planned to go for lunch and drove to Comber to try the Sugarcane after reading the reviews.

The lunch menu looked quite good and I was in the mood for the open prawn sandwich.

It was a decent portion but nothing exciting, or in the presentation, prawns on wheaten bread with a basic dry salad on the side consisting of leaves, baby tomatoes, red onion and a boiled egg.

I wasn’t sure what I was expecting but I guess something a little more exciting than I would make at home. I will go back to the Sugarcane again but next time would like try something else on the menu.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
pmturner, Owner at Sugarcane Cafe Bistro, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our Bistro.

I am glad that you enjoyed your visit overall although I am disappointed that whilst you enjoyed our Prawn open you did't feel it met your expectations. I do hope that the salad was correctly dressed with our own home made vinaigrette and not dry and that the sliced cucumber was also on the plate. We make all our own speciality breads too including the house wheaten.

I hope that when you return again you sample some of our more adventurous dishes that allow us to present much more flavour and panache than the humble prawn open.

We do run a cracking Bistro menu nightly from Wednesday to Sunday, with locally sourced foods such as Tynedale Goat which with me make a lovely burger with homemade beetroot relish and Irish Goats cheese or our salt aged Sirloins from Hannans meats of Moira.

Again, thanks for taking the time to offer us some feedback and hopefully we will see you again sooner rather than later.

Kind regards

Peter
Comber, United Kingdom
“Local excellence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

Right on my doorstep sugarcane is a brilliant little bistro. Had dinner there last week while my Canadian family visited and reminded myself that I should go more often! Started off with a most welcome cocktail and then my favourite chicken Caesar salad which I have used as a benchmark anytime I order elsewhere! Staff are always welcoming and attentive. It's a must visit if you're ever in comber!

• Visited January 2014
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Thank you to the crew at Sugarcane for an excellent & friendly service today , enjoyed the craic :-))

Visited February 2014